Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermot & Dave on Today Fm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭stop thelights

I think the show is only handy so far. Don't really think the 'say stuff that suits the music' is very good. Like the bit where they make up jingles for businesses. But overall I wouldn't real be too too upset I I missed the show.

Different story with ray foley. Used really look forward to his show and often worked through lunch time while it was on. Bits like Dj jayo, jps radio police bit, singing love songs to news readers, and all the other messing that would make you laugh out load. Ann was brilliant on it too. I guess these guys need 6 months at least if not more before ill can really make up my mind. Really hope that all the posters saying there class are right as this is my first time heading them on the radio over the last few weeks!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 665 ✭✭✭philthrill69

Heard the say stuff that suits the music yesterday while stuck in traffic behind a funeral and it actually made me lol, a few of the mourners weren't best pleased though.

People still harping on about Foley 3 years later would want to get a grip, it got old fast, Jesus you can only listen to JP and Anne's forced laughter for so long, the show should have had a laugh track it was cringe.

I thought KC was an improvement but afaik his last JNLR figures were down 15000 listeners.
    I try to listen to his breakfast show me on Red Fm but he's got a "local" guy Co hosting who is even more guilty of the forced laughter than JP was.
    He's also picked up a bit of an attitude and he seems to think he's better than everyone because he had a stint in National radio.
    When on today fm you got a sense that he was humble and modest but now he's arrogant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I'm in knots laughing at the INXS name game! So funny :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Brendão wrote: »
    I'm in knots laughing at the INXS name game! So funny :D

Was in fits laughing in traffic at this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

I know you are supposed to give new people a few months to bed in, but meh! I'm not liking them so far, I guess 6 months down the road they will be less crap. Fingers crossed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 556 ✭✭✭Carson10

another show with dry fake laughing. two adult men acting like secondary school students down the back of the class. Boring, dated, dry radio.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

I don't know how people can have listened to them the last few weeks and not enjoyed it. They've been great

Heard the say stuff that suits the music yesterday while stuck in traffic behind a funeral and it actually made me lol, a few of the mourners weren't best pleased though.

People still harping on about Foley 3 years later would want to get a grip, it got old fast, Jesus you can only listen to JP and Anne's forced laughter for so long, the show should have had a laugh track it was cringe.

I thought KC was an improvement but afaik his last JNLR figures were down 15000 listeners.
    I try to listen to his breakfast show me on Red Fm but he's got a "local" guy Co hosting who is even more guilty of the forced laughter than JP was.
    He's also picked up a bit of an attitude and he seems to think he's better than everyone because he had a stint in National radio.
    When on today fm you got a sense that he was humble and modest but now he's arrogant.

I can't stand that guy with KC, I like KC at lot but can't listen to the other guy. Would prefer Lenny

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

This is truly awful muck and a pretty poor effort at retaining the afternoon audience. All of the segments feel lazy and the way they laugh at each others staged gags is cringeworthy. I've given them a fair chance but it's just way too juvenile. A very boring show. I haven't listened to them in a few days and I don't intent to again either.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

This is truly awful muck and a pretty poor effort at retaining the afternoon audience. All of the segments feel lazy and the way they laugh at each others staged gags is cringeworthy. I've given them a fair chance but it's just way too juvenile. A very boring show. I haven't listened to them in a few days and I don't intent to again either.

I think you're being especially harsh, DnD are far better in my opinion than you're making out, their track record is proof of that as is their promotion to today FM.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

When on today fm you got a sense that he was humble and modest but now he's arrogant.[/QUOTE]

KC? Arrogant?

Ask anyone, the dude is one of the most humble and likeable people on radio.

His new show is 100 times better on Red than it was back in the old days because of him time on TodayFM. You're hearing confidence.

Dermot and Dave will do great also. They seem to work really well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 PureDaycent

When on today fm you got a sense that he was humble and modest but now he's arrogant.[/QUOTE]

KC? Arrogant?

Ask anyone, the dude is one of the most humble and likeable people on radio.

His new show is 100 times better on Red than it was back in the old days because of his time on TodayFM. You're hearing confidence.

Dermot and Dave will do great also. They seem to work really well together.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,415 ✭✭✭Trebor176

The lads have obviously done something right, if they've managed to scoop multiple awards. And, I'm sure they will receive more nominations, and perhaps even win more awards during their time in Today FM. I guess those criticising them haven't heard them on 98fm. The show is only weeks old, so it's still early days. But, I love what I've heard so far, and they were great on 98fm as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

I used to listen to them on 98fm occasionally and I found it mildly amusing at best, but since they've moved to Today FM they seem to have dialled up the cringe factor several fold. It sounds very forced to me and is just not funny - but the fact they laugh (forced laughter at that) so much at their own "jokes" is really annoying and grating on one's ears. A show to avoid for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭i_steal_sheep

reg114 wrote: »
    I think you're being especially harsh, DnD are far better in my opinion than you're making out, their track record is proof of that as is their promotion to today FM.

I know I might come across as perhaps being especially harsh, and maybe their track record does speak for itself. Personally, I'm just saying that I don't like the style of what they have to offer and I'll tip my hat to them - fair play on the promotion lads to national radio but just because their offering was absolutely lauded on 98FM it does not mean that it's going to go down the same way with a national audience. I'm not in the Dublin demographic so maybe that is why I just don't get it. I wonder how media buyers are reacting to the new show? It's hardly ABC1, which I sort of thought they were going after with Louise Duffy

• Advertisement

Ha the Jean Byrne song they just did was great

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

The 2 gamer geeks interview during the week was class. "So you have a baby, was it a natural birth or did you just download him?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,394 ✭✭✭✭Itssoeasy

They won two awards tonight at the PPI awards.

General Music Programme for the show on 98fm & Dermot won Music Presenter of the Year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Finally switched away from them today. Not funny, not clever and same ol same ol music policy.

That Red FM is a better alternative than their show is pretty damning.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭harney

Are they getting tips off Ray D'Arcy? The guess what I bought off ebay segment kind of reminded me of the guess what U2 song is in my head segment that Ray made quite popular and successful.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

Were these guys better when they were on local radio? Cant listen to them anymore,the fake laugh and stupid put on voices are BRUTAL

Sounds like Lenny is working on the Dermot & Dave show now. He was just on telling a story

Synode wrote: »
    Sounds like Lenny is working on the Dermot & Dave show now. He was just on telling a story

Was going too post this. I'd say he has been there since the start but between Maria and the 2 lads he hasn't really had a reason too be on air.

farmerjj wrote: »
    Were these guys better when they were on local radio? Cant listen to them anymore,the fake laugh and stupid put on voices are BRUTAL

The same old same old...can any presenter do a show on their own now?

I have a feeling you might be the wrong demographic for this show :pac:

The lads are off today. Phil Cawley is in. Does anyone know if it's for the week or just today? :o

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Dargull

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Was going too post this. I'd say he has been there since the start but between Maria and the 2 lads he hasn't really had a reason too be on air.

There is no reason for him to ever be on air again. He's bloody awful.

That's a bit harsh. I though he was funny at times on the KC show

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

I honestly can't stand them. It's horrible radio

• Advertisement

I love it. Exactly what's needed in the 12 - 2:30 slot

I love it. Exactly what's needed in the 12 - 2:30 slot

I'm the same.... As a wise man once said "it's just a bit of fun for your lunchtime, nothing too serious

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

That "Say Stuff that suits the music" is the greatest load of sh1te. Yer mans fake laugh in the background makes it worse for some reason.

statto25 wrote: »
    That "Say Stuff that suits the music" is the greatest load of sh1te. Yer mans fake laugh in the background makes it worse for some reason.

It's starting too get old fast in fairness!

Best part of the show imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 687 ✭✭✭reg114

Harmless fun, can't understand the haters, give them a few months and I'd be amazed if their listeners didn't increase.

Say stuff is hilarious most of the time. Has me in stitches

Pretty much my whole circle of friends listens to TodayFM as do I, but I did listen to D&D on 98 and told them all that these lads would be a great fit at TodayFM, they kind of got sick of me saying it, but they've all messaged me since to say how much they love the lads and it's their favourite thing on the station now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Just can't listen to this show with the 'funny' voices and incessant laughing at their own jokes. Even the adverts for their own show nearly makes me get up, walk across the room and turn off the bloody radio.

• Advertisement

Why do people feel the need to come in here and tell us they don't like the show. Nobody cares

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,751 ✭✭✭eyeball kid

Why do people feel the need to come in here and tell us they don't like the show. Nobody cares

Fair enough, you're probably right. I just find the fake laughing at each other incredibly annoying and needed somewhere to vent. Sorry.

Fair enough, you're probably right. I just find the fake laughing at each other incredibly annoying and needed somewhere to vent. Sorry.

At least you said why you didn't like the show. I hate when people knock something for no reason, or can't back it up.

Fwiw I love the fact that they crack each other up, I believe in that old saying, 'if the performers are having fun, then the audience is having fun', but fair enough if you don't agree.

Doesn't stop anyone over in the D'Arcey show thread

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Doesn't stop anyone over in the D'Arcey show thread

That's just one big negative-fest over there. :pac:

I had to stop looking in that thread. They take moaning to a level I've never seen before. Unreadable

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

Why do people call it fake laughter. I do be laughing at Dermot just as much if not more than Dave. Maybe he just finds him very funny.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

The fake laughter on the say stuff to music bit aside, the show is pretty decent. They seem to have good craic with people who ring the show as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 Captian Swashbuckle

This is a discussion board, its sort of the done thing around here.

For the record, I find them both very irritating. I gave them a chance for the first few weeks and have dipped in and out since in the hope I'd start liking them. No.

I think TodayFM will have to rethink this one in about 18 months time. Credit to the pair of them for getting this far but they got to number 1 at breakfast in Dublin by default after the demise of Colm & Jimjim, when they moved to the later evening slot the show bombed in the JNLR results catching a mere 30 odd thousand listeners, way off the 80/90,000 the other music stations had at the same time.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

Daves laughing is so stupid. He's really not funny at all. Dermot is actually funny. But Dave is ****e.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,345 ✭✭✭Gits_bone

And then they try to give him a part of the show "Daves World" which is once again terrible. Say stuff is good, minus the laughter of Dave.

• Advertisement
Advertisement