Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermot & Dave on Today Fm

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,552 ✭✭✭paddylonglegs

Silly sports had me in stitches today. Chugg explaining that Chico Rodriguez was up on drugs charges. He was found with 65 kilos of calpol in his truck.

Love that slot

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

Honestly, I just cannot get my head around these guys. Horrifically bad attempts at comedy with their own forced fake laughter in the back ground. Their parodies are getting ever more stupid as well.

I'd actually prefer listen to Darcy talk about running than these 2.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 444 ✭✭Flange/Flanders

Have to disagree with you on that, I think they're hilarious. Love slots like Tony's club classics, Silly sports and Say stuff. Themselves, Cooper and Off the Ball are the only shows I find myself generally not channel surfing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

I actually snortelled in the car a few times last Thursday for Say stuff, can't wait for tomorrow's one and Dermot's D'Arcy is outstanding.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

His Ray Darcy and Christopher Walken were hilarious

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Yeah, last Thursdays Say Stuff was the best in a while.

Christopher Walken in Clondalkin was outstanding

Nope. Ye are wrong. or are being paid to say ye like them :pac:

gimmick wrote: »
    Nope. Ye are wrong. or are being paid to say ye like them :pac:

You've been complaining about them for the last year and a half. Are you forced to listen to them in work?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Love their show, regularly laugh out loud in a quiet office listening to these two on my headphones.

• Advertisement

Synode wrote: »
    You've been complaining about them for the last year and a half. Are you forced to listen to them in work?

Today FM is the agreed upon station for the office, so just have to put up with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Have to say I did not like them at all when they took over and had not listened to the slot consistently since Foley left as did not enjoy KC. I occasionally caught them when they were on 98FM and was not a fan, but they have grown on me. I would agree they can be annoying at times but they have mostly won me over.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Dermo and Dave are going to the Euros :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,028 ✭✭✭✭ButtersSuki

Yeah, last Thursdays Say Stuff was the best in a while.

Christopher Walken in Clondalkin was outstanding

The Walken impression is poor IMO.

If you want a good Walken impression search for Jay Mohr's.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,663 ✭✭✭Jack Killian

gimmick wrote: »
    Today FM is the agreed upon station for the office, so just have to put up with it.

Could be far worse; the Jeremy Kyle Niall Boylan show is on at the same time.

I'd pity you at 4pm though, when you're missing out on GO'C and enduring LD.

You have to be saying this because you don't like the show. Because the impression is absolutely brilliant

• Advertisement

You have to be saying this because you don't like the show. Because the impression is absolutely brilliant

No. I'm saying it because it's not brilliant IMO. You think it's brilliant, I don't. It's not awful, but it sounds like a man doing a Christopher Walken impression, rather than it sounding like Christopher Walken.

I give you Jay Mohr:

Go to 1:55 for the magic. That's not even the best I've seen him do it, but what's great about that is he does an impression of someone else (Kevin Pollak from The Usual Suspects) doing the impression.

If you're not familiar with Mohr, he was in Jerry Maguire and a few other movies. His crowning glory was a show called "Action!" - truly one of the best comedies ever and way, way, way ahead of its time in terms of subject matter and on screen crudeness. It pushed more than one envelope!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0206467/

I think it was the context of Walken living in a flat above a couple of noisemakers in Clondalkin while polishing a shotgun that made it so funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Every time I hear the song about Eurovision I nearly crash the van its very good

Jay Mohr

Meh. As Buford said above, it was about the situation more than anything. But I do think it's a good impression too

Meh. As Buford said above, it was about the situation more than anything. But I do think it's a good impression too

Meh yourself. Let's separate the impression from the material then. You can prefer the D&D material or sketches - that's totally subjective and if you prefer that's perfectly fine as its your opinion, but Mohr's impression is better.

• Advertisement

Meh yourself. Let's separate the impression from the material then. You can prefer the D&D material or sketches - that's totally subjective and if you prefer that's perfectly fine as its your opinion, but Mohr's impression is better.

Not sure how it could be if his impression is an impression of someone else doing an impression ?

Surely if the impression was that accurate then the middleman wouldn't be noticeable ?

Not sure how it could be if his impression is an impression of someone else doing an impression ?

Surely if the impression was that accurate then the middleman wouldn't be noticeable ?

Do you really need me to explain that to you? Seriously? Did you watch the clip?

He does his own "version" (let's call it that), then he does Pollak's to highlight the subtle differences in style, nuance, structure, cadence etc. Both "versions" sound like Walken, but both are different. The skill is being able to do different styles and yet keeping them undeniably sounding like Walken.

I'm actually sorry I posted now.

I think it was the context of Walken living in a flat above a couple of noisemakers in Clondalkin while polishing a shotgun that made it so funny.

Then you're surely referring to the material or the sketch rather than the impression per se?

There's impressions that sound exactly or very like the person who's being imitated.

And there's impressions that take an element of that person's personality/speech/gait (an impression doesn't have to include voice - not great for radio admittedly!) etc. and that becomes the focal point of the impression through exaggerating it or highlighting it in some way.

The quality of the material or script they work with after the above usually determines how funny the final result is.

Then you're surely referring to the material or the sketch rather than the impression per se?

There's impressions that sound exactly or very like the person who's being imitated.

And there's impressions that take an element of that person's personality/speech/gait (an impression doesn't have to include voice - not great for radio admittedly!) etc. and that becomes the focal point of the impression through exaggerating it or highlighting it in some way.

The quality of the material or script they work with after the above usually determines how funny the final result is.
    Jaysus, you're overthinking the whole show.

You didn't enjoy it, fine, it's your prerogative.

Some of us did, and that's grand too.

Jaysus, you're overthinking the whole show.

You didn't enjoy it, fine, it's your prerogative.

Some of us did, and that's grand too.

I totally agree that's fine if you liked it and I didn't. I believe we're each entitled to our opinions (some people apparently think Mrs. Brown's Boys is funny), but I was told:

I was replying to that. I don't think the impression was "brilliant". I equally don't think the sketch was brilliant, but I was told I had to be saying that because I don't like the show - really? I can't decide for myself what I like and don't like?

I threw in the Mohr video to show what I consider to be a brilliant (in fact the best) Walken impression. Then I was told it wasn't the impression per se but the sketch as it was "Walken in Clondalkin". Talk about moving the goalposts.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

I love Dermot and Dave, have done since their last few years on 98... BUT I also love a good impression and Dermot is mostly poor at them. His impression material is good, the songs they write are good, his improv is excellent but the impressions themselves are lacking. Which is one of the reasons I'm sure Mario Rosenstock didn't object to them using impressions on their show as that's his schtick on Today FM.

As said above Jay Mohr and Kevin Pollak are the premier Walken impressionists along with Kevin Spacey.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 614 ✭✭✭colinod0806

The lads can usually do no wrong in my eyes but that song for the Euros is terrible. It sounds like something from Damo and Ivor, they're even putting on Dublin accents ffs.

Say stuff with Joe Rooney was excellent though.

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭Puibo

Dermot is a one trick pony. His one trick being, awful impersonations. There should only be one bad impersonator per radio station, instead today fm has 3. In no particular order

1. Dermot
    2. Mario
    3. Paul McClune

The sidekick Dave always feels compelled to laugh at the terrible jokes being churned out by the second from the other twit.

Puibo wrote: »
    Dermot is a one trick pony. His one trick being, awful impersonations.

This is just wrong and most likely the opinion of someone who hasn't listened to the show much. If he was a one trick pony, which he isn't, surely his trick would be his improv.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

I like them but I agree that song is dreadful. They sound like Dustin at the start and they've just tried too hard to squeeze everything into the song and it goes on and on and on.
    The lads can usually do no wrong in my eyes but that song for the Euros is terrible. It sounds like something from Damo and Ivor, they're even putting on Dublin accents ffs.

Say stuff with Joe Rooney was excellent though.

• Advertisement

Puibo wrote: »
    Dermot is a one trick pony. His one trick being, awful impersonations. There should only be one bad impersonator per radio station, instead today fm has 3. In no particular order

1. Dermot
    2. Mario
    3. Paul McClune

The sidekick Dave always feels compelled to laugh at the terrible jokes being churned out by the second from the other twit.

Ah go away outta that!! Dermot laughs at himself doing impressions no one thinks they are perfect! Dave laughs at him (as do I) as most of the stuff is very funny! Robbie Keane in a limousine is a piss take not a replacement for ole ole,it shouldn't be taken too seriously! Even all the players laughed when they heard it! It's not like they expect a Grammy!

The song is so terrible people only have it at number 3 in the charts!! Tut tut

• Registered Users Posts: 181 ✭✭eiresandra

MrMac84 wrote: »
    The song is so terrible people only have it at number 3 in the charts!! Tut tut

Important to note it's being sold at half the price of everything else in the chart. Nonetheless, the show's fans will obviously support it.

I think it's an awful song. The young lads on Spin did a much better job.

eiresandra wrote: »
    Important to note it's being sold at half the price of everything else in the chart. Nonetheless, the show's fans will obviously support it.

I think it's an awful song. The young lads on Spin did a much better job.

You'd have had to endure Spin in order to hear theirs, though! :eek:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

Wouldn't like the song myself, but 'Say Stuff' had me in hysterics earlier!
    A great one today so it was!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I violently swore to myself the first time I heard the Euro song this week.....but it's grown on me to the point of where I was singing it without even realising :o

I'm glad though because I really do enjoy them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,833 ✭✭✭✭ThisRegard

Dunno, I think Dermot is better than Rosenstock. I get a good laugh out of their show anyway.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,586 ✭✭✭Canadel

They work well together. Some of it is hit and miss but they come across as decent, genuine guys in general.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,985 ✭✭✭mikeym

Sounds like a Damo and Ivor song alright.

• Advertisement

ThisRegard wrote: »
    Dunno, I think Dermot is better than Rosenstock. I get a good laugh out of their show anyway.
    Yeah, I was a huge fan of Mario till the last 2 years or so. I find his stuff really tired now to the point of nearly knowing what he's going to parody next.

Ha fair play to Dave, that 'SayStuffThatSuitsTheMusic' was gas

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Surprised this thread doesn't get more attention recently, love these boys at lunchtime. Been listening to Today FM at lunchtime since Ray Foley, thought KC was good but more suited to evenings.

D&D are clearly best buds and they're gas on air together, only problem for me at the start was trying to figure out who was talking!

The Diarmuid Gavin impression has me in stitches every day :D

I'm saving the world :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭yermandan

Haha yeah and the Ray D'Arcy during Say Stuff yesterday is one of the best impressions I've ever heard

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 Carrotcrunch

Have laughed every day this week listening to the lads. Proper belly laugh too. Easy listening.

yermandan wrote: »
    Haha yeah and the Ray D'Arcy during Say Stuff yesterday is one of the best impressions I've ever heard

His Ray Darcy is brilliant. I dunno I dunno *big sigh

I'm saving the world :pac:

"I'm saving the world HERE"

Ya the lads are class! Even all the stuff at the Euros was brilliant! They are brilliant, some of Dermots 1 liners (I know he a comedian) are brilliant and you can here the laughter in the studio n all!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Last weeks Jingly bits was gold :D fell around the place laughing at "John Paul" :pac:

I'm not really a fan of Jingly Bits tbh. I wouldn't mind seeing it replaced with a regular Nony segment.

• Advertisement
Advertisement