Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermot & Dave on Today Fm

Comments

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

Any other Nonie fans in the house? I was in stitches listening a wee while ago there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭Mr Snow

is Tony Cascarino still there?

i hear him a few times on talksport he does the weekend breakfast with Georgie Bingham.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Mr Snow wrote: »
    is Tony Cascarino still there?

i hear him a few times on talksport he does the weekend breakfast with Georgie Bingham.
    'Tony' does Club Classics on a Friday with the two lads:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

'Tony' does Club Classics on a Friday with the two lads:D

Fing about Friday's Matt

Nuffin

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

The Ray Darcy impression during the silly sports yesterday was hilarious :D:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,695 ✭✭✭flangemeistro

threein99 wrote: »
    The Ray Darcy impression during the silly sports yesterday was hilarious :D:D
    I snortled while drinking my tea.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,015 ✭✭✭✭Mc Love

Dermot does much better impressions than Mario and Mario's impressions are fairly dated/worn out now. He did a Robbie Keane one this morning and had to turn the radio off it was so bad.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Anyone been to Dermot's improv gigs? Would love to get up there to see one.

Hopefully the lads will their roadshow again in the coming year and travel around the country with it.

They definitely need to come to Limerick, you'd think they would with Dermot being from here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 627 ✭✭✭kerryked

Too many Nonie's around, the chawwwwclate wouldn't sell for her..

• Advertisement

I love the Nonie sketch! The one from Silly Sports had me in stitches

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Mc Love wrote: »
    Dermot does much better impressions than Mario and Mario's impressions are fairly dated/worn out now. He did a Robbie Keane one this morning and had to turn the radio off it was so bad.

Dermots impressions are funnier because they are just off the cuff rather scripted like Gift Grub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,967 ✭✭✭Synode

They're coming back after this song with Big News - could they be getting the 9am - 12pm slot

(I'm listening online so am about 5 minutes behind)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

Must've been some announcement. He hasn't come back :D

Must've been some announcement. He hasn't come back :D

They're doing a comedy road show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Is it just me, or does anyone else find these two REALLY annoying and unfunny. Reminds me of the Ray D'Arcy love in around 10 yrs ago or so.

seachto7 wrote: »
    Is it just me, or does anyone else find these two REALLY annoying and unfunny. Reminds me of the Ray D'Arcy love in around 10 yrs ago or so.

No - they are really funny, i'm always cracking up in the office listening to them. Dermot's impressions are very good, much better than his colleague Mario

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

seachto7 wrote: »

ya, they are horrendous.

I'd get over it if it weren't for the forced laughter in the background from whichever guy is the straightman.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

Same show every day and that insufferable screeching the laughter track. With so little talent left on Today FM, it seems that the management are trying to convince us of this pair in spite of their declining figures.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,584 ✭✭✭ligerdub

The beauty of Dermot's impressions is that there is an inbuilt deduction of accuracy in that he has to do it in a fashion that you know that it's actually him doing it (as stupid as that sounds).

His Dermot Gavin impression a few weeks back answering gardening questions when the real Gavin was there for the same purpose was proper laugh out loud funny.

I think he's a genuinely funny guy but should stay in that mode, if he ends up doing seriously TV presenting but with a stand-up routine (like Brendan O'Connor) or chat show (like D'arcy) he'll lose that USP. His impressions are good but not good enough to make a show out of.

Speaking of good impressions, this guy is fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MrU7dPaehlc&t=46s

Ger Loughnane, take a bow ryyyyyysss

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

ligerdub wrote: »
    The beauty of Dermot's impressions is that there is an inbuilt deduction of accuracy in that he has to do it in a fashion that you know that it's actually him doing it (as stupid as that sounds).

His Dermot Gavin impression a few weeks back answering gardening questions when the real Gavin was there for the same purpose was proper laugh out loud funny.

I think he's a genuinely funny guy but should stay in that mode, if he ends up doing seriously TV presenting but with a stand-up routine (like Brendan O'Connor) or chat show (like D'arcy) he'll lose that USP. His impressions are good but not good enough to make a show out of.
    Some of the slagging between the two guys take me back to my school days when any small thing that happens would get exaggerated and become a focal point of slagging for a while until someone else becomes the target.

I enjoy the lads, proper laugh-out-loud funny at times:)

The bit on Daves man bag today had me in stitches

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

I know it annoys some other people but I find say stuff... really good, particularly when every so often Dave has to do it because he is the antithesis of improv!

Dermot's impressions are caricatures as I said before and he is a natural. I have been a fan of his since his first years of stand-up, so I am potentially biased but unlike other comedians I used to like, I have not grown tired of Dermot Whelan. And when you consider the exposure he gets - 2 hours on national airwaves every weekday - I have probably seen/heard more of him than almost any of the other comedians I've ever liked.

Anyone hear that lad "Warrenpoint" earlier today. Hilarious.

• Advertisement

ligerdub wrote: »
    Anyone hear that lad "Warrenpoint" earlier today. Hilarious.

Yeah it was quite funny - they are gas! Got a gift pack for doing one of their snapchat challenges, an ah sure lookit, t shirt, the foot gloves, a frisbee, pen.

Their tickets for Limerick are on sale early - got two tickets and it was half sold out

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭The Young Wan

Dermot is doing an impression of Padraig Harrington for a competition they're doing this week, and it's infinitely better and funnier than Mario's. Buladh bos!

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

Dermot is doing an impression of Padraig Harrington for a competition they're doing this week, and it's infinitely better and funnier than Mario's. Buladh bos!

dermot is very good at impressions. i love his diarmuid gavin stuff. im savin the wurld here

• Registered Users Posts: 488 ✭✭Duggie2012

oh and how could i forget tony cascarino, my fav bit of the week MATTT

• Advertisement

Duggie2012 wrote: »
    oh and how could i forget tony cascarino, my fav bit of the week MATTT

Fing about forgetting Tony Cascarino Matt, NAFING

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

Have to say I wasn't a fan of the show when it started...comparing it to previous iterations at lunchtime probably unfairly...but really enjoying the show, easily one of the more enjoyable shows on Irish radio!

Love Nonie and her chawwwclate! Going to see their show in Limerick, going to be great

D&D are taking over Anton's show. Hope this is a good thing but I'd be a bit worried that they're forced to change the show - it's perfect as it is

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/dermot-and-dave-to-take-over-midmorning-slot-on-today-fm-following-anton-savage-departure-35338811.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

Synode wrote: »
    D&D are taking over Anton's show. Hope this is a good thing but I'd be a bit worried that they're forced to change the show - it's perfect as it is

http://www.independent.ie/entertainment/radio/dermot-and-dave-to-take-over-midmorning-slot-on-today-fm-following-anton-savage-departure-35338811.html

Their current show just doesn't fit that time slot. If they retain the magazine style show then D&Ds shenanigans just wouldnt suit that type of programme.

Hopefully where Dave says they'll be keeping it fun that they'll be left to continue on there normal shenanigans... I know it's not going to happen but King Foley coming on at 12 be great after the two lads

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Hopefully where Dave says they'll be keeping it fun that they'll be left to continue on there normal shenanigans... I know it's not going to happen but King Foley coming on at 12 be great after the two lads

I think/hope the show will still be them being themselves...light hearted and funny but I think with added regular interviews...hopefully they have a bit of free rein with it tho!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Dermot and Dave followed by Foley. Lock Them In. Burn Them Out!

I had a feeling there was something happening get when the lads didn't show up for work this morning.

I had a feeling there was something happening get when the lads didn't show up for work this morning.

I assume they will be off till the 23rd now aswell...feck!

• Advertisement

Once they aren't forced into doing the agoney aunt and dr pixie parts of the show! The things like the story's from regional papers would be excellent tho

MrMac84 wrote: »
    Once they aren't forced into doing the agoney aunt and dr pixie parts of the show! The things like the story's from regional papers would be excellent tho

From the Today FM article (if you can make it past the first sentence which is repeated 3 times) on the move it seems like the show will retain the fun side, Barber Sessions, and added "big guest interviews"...so hopefully they do the show they are good at!
    http://www.todayfm.com/Dermot--Dave-bring-a-brand-new-show-to-Today-FM

• Registered Users Posts: 5 DelGato

Is nobody listening to this? Long-winded inane drivel. They were just talking for five minutes but managed to say nothing. Such a bad move by Today FM.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

It hasn't been a great opening hour... Reading out texts, and not much else.

The music selection is so strange too.

They were playing some horrific rubbish new dance/pop track (apologies I don't know the name), followed by Blur "Parklife"? Either choose one type of music or the other. The person that likes the dance/pop track doesn't care about Blur and vice versa

I know it's the first hour of a new show, but these lads are supposed to be the best in the business..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,618 ✭✭✭✭siblers

_feedback_ wrote: »

They were playing some horrific rubbish new dance/pop track (apologies I don't know the name), followed by Blur "Parklife"? Either choose one type of music or the other. The person that likes the dance/pop track doesn't care about Blur and vice versa

I know it's the first hour of a new show, but these lads are supposed to be the best in the business..

I would say that's pretty standard for Today FM, on their afternoon show they would play chart music alongside indie/rock and songs from the 90s, 80s etc. Even Paul McCloone did the same when he was covering for Anton, Louise Duffy did the same when she was in the evenings

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,869 ✭✭✭statto25

_feedback_ wrote: »

It's like the show is being sanitised for this time of the morning. Mack is gone from "ah sure lookit" and they even changed the email address. They had that address since their fm104 days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

siblers wrote: »
    I would say that's pretty standard for Today FM, on their afternoon show they would play chart music alongside indie/rock and songs from the 90s, 80s etc. Even Paul McCloone did the same when he was covering for Anton, Louise Duffy did the same when she was in the evenings

Yeah that's true, but I was expecting this morning to be the start of a new direction and actually targeting somebody. The whole juke box aspect of the music doesn't work

• Registered Users Posts: 16,305 ✭✭✭✭Mr.Prodston

I think they're doing fine.

They've been off-air for a few weeks, and who here fires on all cylinders straight away when back in work?

Also they're probably easing new listeners into their style a little too. I don't get such quick fire negativity.

At least give them a few shows/ a week to get used to the new time and slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭PIORUN

in fairness they're dragging the bollox out of this McConaughey interview....talking about it coming up has lasted half the show so far!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 DelGato

I think your very first show on the (formerly) biggest slot on Irish independent radio should probably sound as good as you can make it? I understand being rusty, but the least you can do after taking a month off is put a little time into preparing for it. Just my opinion. It's inevitable that people will be listening on day one with a critical ear.

Advertisement