Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dermot & Dave on Today Fm

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,596 ✭✭✭threein99

Is that really Matthew McConaughey ? :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

Their music choice has me worried...Today FM is becoming Atlantic 252 by playing the same track at least 4 times between 7 and 4:30

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭IUA14

It's grand so far, toned down from lunchtimes a little bit. It will take them a while to get into the swing of things...judging them on day 1 is a bit ridiculous. It's essentially an extra hour of a show when you take into account they had the national lunchtime news in the middle of their show so will take a while to get things into a rhythm.

As for music it hasn't been anything different than McLoone, Curtis, and Anton were playing before them...a mix of new and what I would see as Today FM tracks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I don't get why these were chosen for this slot in the first place. They lost 25% of the listnership KC had in the lunchtime slot before them. In 2016, they lost 10% of their own listnership compared to 2015 and they've effectively landed a promotion. I know it will evolve over time but I just don't get the thinking. It's a lunchtime show at 9am at the moment and it's very music heavy. I don't want this at 9am. After the 9am news, I actually do want to hear what's in the morning papers for example. No sign of it this morning.

As I say, it will evolve but nobody has to listen while it's finding its groove. Personally I'll do no more than dip in from time to time and see how it is evolving which I'm sure it will but my expectations are low.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

IUA14 wrote: »
    It's grand so far, toned down from lunchtimes a little bit. It will take them a while to get into the swing of things...judging them on day 1 is a bit ridiculous. It's essentially an extra hour of a show when you take into account they had the national lunchtime news in the middle of their show so will take a while to get things into a rhythm.

As for music it hasn't been anything different than McLoone, Curtis, and Anton were playing before them...a mix of new and what I would see as Today FM tracks.

Find it hard to agree with this sentiment in this particular situation..

It's the flagship slot on one of the biggest radio stations in the country. These guys are supposed to be the best in the business and were chosen to bring this slot back to life.

It has been really stale this morning
    Today FM’s CEO Keith McCormack says their show will begin on Monday 23 January and will be “a brand new show”.
    (link)

There has been absolutely no new features, unless I have missed something?

• Advertisement

Laois_Man wrote: »
    I don't get why these were chosen for this slot in the first place. They lost 25% of the listnership KC had in the lunchtime slot before them. In 2016, they lost 10% of their own listnership compared to 2015 and they've effectively landed a promotion. I know it will evolve over time but I just don't get the thinking. It's a lunchtime show at 9am at the moment and it's very music heavy. I don't want this at 9am. After the 9am news, I actually do want to hear what's in the morning papers for example. No sign of it this morning.

As I say, it will evolve but nobody has to listen while it's finding its groove. Personally I'll do no more than dip in from time to time and see how it is evolving which I'm sure it will but my expectations are low.

I would agree with the first point. The lunchtime slot has lost 30,000+ since Foley left, KC dropped listeners and D&D have continued that trend.

As for the show direction, they won't be doing papers and that sort of stuff...it's not simply them taking over Antons slot, Today FM have completely scrapped the format of that 9-12 slot...whether it works or not time will tell, I have my reservations.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,670 ✭✭✭prunudo

Very strange mix of music. McClone is a music dj so can understand his mix but it's just odd. The Kinks, The smiths and Justin beider, not sure who it's aimed at?

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Didn;t hear any of it as working outside. Any idea who's behind the scenes? Is Lenny still involved?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

I really like the two guys but I have to say I found that show so lacklustre.
    I really do wish they would stop going on about an Irish slant to everything. They are not alone in this annoying trend-lots of presenters do it-its just a bit tired at this stage.They did it during the Matthew McConaghy interview. Is just not funny at this stage going on and on about Irishisims.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

Did notice it was a bit sanitised. Not sure why they'd need to though. I'm going to ask Dave about the email address tomorrow!

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

Just tweeted Dave there to see will he spill on the email address.

FWIW, TodayFM has nothing else. They have exhausted the pool of viable options for the mid-morning magazine show in reality and D&D are their best hand at this point so what else can they do?

Also, I like them as presenters even if their music is mostly shite.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,753 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭AnneFrank

unfunny d heads

Really don't get the thinking process behind this :confused: Why would they be going half arsed at the first show and introducing this email back later in the week?!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭Mr Tickle

thesaurus2 wrote: »
    Didn;t hear any of it as working outside. Any idea who's behind the scenes? Is Lenny still involved?

Nah, He's on with Muireann in the afternoons now.
    They'll need to come up with something fresh for that slot. It's too much to have her just continue the same type of show as those two.

_feedback_ wrote: »
    Really don't get the thinking process behind this :confused: Why would they be going half arsed at the first show and introducing this email back later in the week?!

The email they used for the show at lunchtimes was live@todayfm.com, that has always been the lunchtime email address for as long as I remember! Davehasnofriends email was for Dave's World etc. Dave saying it will be back later in the week means he will still use it for Daves World but there is a need for a show email too hence [email]dermotanddave@todayfm.com...really[/email] minor thing to get hung up on.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭thesaurus2

Mr Tickle wrote: »
    Nah, He's on with Muireann in the afternoons now.
    They'll need to come up with something fresh for that slot. It's too much to have her just continue the same type of show as those two.

And therin lies one of the problems with Today FM. As someone said on the Today FM 'changes' thread, they basically have the same show now 3 times in a rown after the increasingly jaded Ian Dempsey.

Hard for the same old producers to come up with something fresh. As well as a presenter sweep, they need to get some fresh production/research talent in.

The email they used for the show at lunchtimes was live@todayfm.com, that has always been the lunchtime email address for as long as I remember! Davehasnofriends email was for Dave's World etc. Dave saying it will be back later in the week means he will still use it for Daves World but there is a need for a show email too hence dermotanddave@todayfm.com ...really minor thing to get hung up on.

Welcome to the Internet! :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

The email they used for the show at lunchtimes was live@todayfm.com, that has always been the lunchtime email address for as long as I remember! Davehasnofriends email was for Dave's World etc. Dave saying it will be back later in the week means he will still use it for Daves World but there is a need for a show email too hence [email]dermotanddave@todayfm.com...really[/email] minor thing to get hung up on.

I remember foley used to use his own.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 50 ✭✭Bargain Blake

I would agree with the first point. The lunchtime slot has lost 30,000+ since Foley left,

Are you ever going to get over the love in you for the failed experiment that is Ray Foley. He was not he be all and end all for Irish radio.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Are you ever going to get over the love in you for the failed experiment that is Ray Foley. He was not he be all and end all for Irish radio.

That's your opinion and your welcome to it. For me and many other posters here Foley was the best and most entertaining show in recent memory on any national station and he's been severely missed by us. Same as I don't agree he's a "failed experiment" you don't have to agree with me on my points! That's the beauty of the Internet

MrMac84 wrote: »
    That's your opinion and your welcome to it. For me and many other posters here Foley was the best and most entertaining show in recent memory on any national station and he's been severely missed by us. Same as I don't agree he's a "failed experiment" you don't have to agree with me on my points! That's the beauty of the Internet

Oh yeh I forgot what a roaring success Foley was on 98FM. :confused:

I suppose nothing to do with the fact that he was 'promoted' or 'reassigned' from the national to the local radio market.

Winning radio right there!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,158 ✭✭✭✭hufpc8w3adnk65

Oh yeh I forgot what a roaring success Foley was on 98FM. :confused:

First off we're a million miles of topic.
    Secondly we're talking about lunch time on Today FM not brekkie on 98
    Thirdly I specifically mentioned NATIONAL radio do you just conveniently ignore that part or just not bother readying my reply?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,633 ✭✭✭✭Buford T. Justice XIX

Have to agree on Foley, I really enjoyed his show and would be delighted to see him back again.

First off we're a million miles of topic.
    Secondly we're talking about lunch time on Today FM not brekkie on 98
    Thirdly I specifically mentioned NATIONAL radio do you just conveniently ignore that part or just not bother readying my reply?

It was part of the larger discussion that everytime someone has a pop at any other presenter, it always the same 6 people that champion the Ray Foley campaign to have him back on air. He was a failed news reader, a failed radio presenter, and a failed tv presenter! When will you all let it go and move on?

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Ray Foley's lunchtime show was a roaring success, and it was quite a popular show. I don't see how a failed format on 98 and the fact he's still a tv presenter makes him a failure in either department, either.

You may not like Foley, and that's fine, but his lunchtime slot on TodayFM was very popular. That's not opinion, that's fact.

• Registered Users Posts: 27 loumasry

He was a failed news reader, a failed radio presenter, and a failed tv presenter!

That sounds like a personal axe grinding to me... and most of your posts are about Ray Foley. Do you know him?

Back on topic, Dermot and Dave's listenership figures at lunch are at 113,000 for 12pm to 2.30pm which is an all-time low for the timeslot since it was created when Ray D'arcy was moved into the 9am-12pm slot, and they are down 10,000 in the year. The next figures at the beginning of February will show whether this promotion of Dermot and Dave was a good/bad idea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,088 ✭✭✭farmerjj

loumasry wrote: »
    That sounds like a personal axe grinding to me... and most of your posts are about Ray Foley. Do you know him?

Back on topic, Dermot and Dave's listenership figures at lunch are at 113,000 for 12pm to 2.30pm which is an all-time low for the timeslot since it was created when Ray D'arcy was moved into the 9am-12pm slot, and they are down 10,000 in the year. The next figures at the beginning of February will show whether this promotion of Dermot and Dave was a good/bad idea.

Its getting very like 2fm now, nothing you "cant" miss anymore, i listen to Ian that,s it really, cant stand the chuckle brothers and moved to talk stations for the afternoon now.

It was part of the larger discussion that everytime someone has a pop at any other presenter, it always the same 6 people that champion the Ray Foley campaign to have him back on air. He was a failed news reader, a failed radio presenter, and a failed tv presenter! When will you all let it go and move on?

Em...what a load of bullsh1t! I think when talking about D&D and the lunchtime slot they left while losing listeners its natural to talk about previous shows...same way when talking about 9-12 people talk about Anton and D'arcy etc. But don't let sense stop you and your bitter idiocy.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 956 ✭✭✭mikep

Bloody hell...10 mins in and rerunning the Matthew Mc interview again..

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,660 ✭✭✭ILikeBoats

The talcum powdered adult :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,404 ✭✭✭✭vicwatson

Phone line to Rob Beckett dreadful, you wouldn't get it on the Joe Duffy show

Good show today so far, they are settling into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,538 ✭✭✭johnire

What's there to settle into? It's exactly the same show just a couple of hours earlier.
    I really like the two lads but I don't know- I really think this move was a bad idea.
    Now they're doing the " Irish" thing again!!!
    threein99 wrote: »
    Good show today so far, they are settling into it now.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,597 ✭✭✭djemba djemba

mikep wrote: »
    Bloody hell...10 mins in and rerunning the Matthew Mc interview again..

What reason did they give for playing it again. Surely anyone who missed it and wanted to listen to it would listen on podcast.

• Advertisement

johnire wrote: »
    What's there to settle into? It's exactly the same show just a couple of hours earlier.
    I really like the two lads but I don't know- I really think this move was a bad idea.
    Now they're doing the " Irish" thing again!!!

They haven't done the show in a month or so, there's bound to be a bit of rust.

I couldn't remember my work laptop password after coming back from Christmas so I'm sure its similar for them :D

What reason did they give for playing it again. Surely anyone who missed it and wanted to listen to it would listen on podcast.

To wind up nit pickers on boards.ie ;)

threein99 wrote: »
    They haven't done the show in a month or so, there's bound to be a bit of rust.

I couldn't remember my work laptop password after coming back from Christmas so I'm sure its similar for them :D

They haven't been on air, but they should have been preparing for the past month, including dry runs of the show etc.

It's incredible that they are just coming out and doing the same ole show in a different time slot, with no new slant / features

They haven't been on air, but they should have been preparing for the past month, including dry runs of the show etc.

It's incredible that they are just coming out and doing the same ole show in a different time slot, with no new slant / features

They do what they do. If you didn't like their lunchtime show then you won't like the midmorning show, it's simple. What they do they do well so why would they change it after 12 years or whatever it is. May not work but it's been two days...

They do what they do. If you didn't like their lunchtime show then you won't like the midmorning show, it's simple. What they do they do well so why would they change it after 12 years or whatever it is. May not work but it's been two days...

Genuinely have no issue with the lads. I enjoy what they do and always get a good laugh from them.

But they needed to give it something more with the new slot. They are lacking content and just constantly reading silly texts. Re-playing an interview from the previous day is pretty poor too.

It's just not fresh, and it needs to be fresh

• Advertisement

Genuinely have no issue with the lads. I enjoy what they do and always get a good laugh from them.

But they needed to give it something more with the new slot. They are lacking content and just constantly reading silly texts. Re-playing an interview from the previous day is pretty poor too.

It's just not fresh, and it needs to be fresh

I agree replaying the interview was not a good start today. They do best when they just wing it with the listeners driving the content to be honest and they seem to have a little less of that now than they had on lunch but early days.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,451 ✭✭✭✭BPKS

I said I'd give them a chance but as soon as they started re-playing an interview they did yesterday first thing today I switched to Tubridy. 5 minutes of Tubridy, 30 minutes of Pat Kenny later I switch over again. They have some audio of a message from some listener looking for her 5 minutes of fame/attention talking about talcum powder (I assume there will be a lot of this' type of 'entertainment).

Glad I was in meetings for the next two hours.

Morning radio options in Ireland are extremely limited for me now, as is lunch time. Better find myself some good podcasts and hope my broadband doesnt get much worse.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I'm a fan of D&D but what I've heard of this so far isn't great. It's the same show at a different time and somehow it doesn't feel right for that time of the day.

Replaying the McConnaghay interview from the previous day at 9:10am was a real WTF moment. I changed channel.

Half arsed imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,422 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

like the 2 guys and loved the show at 12pm, but for me it is not suited to the 9am slot..........

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 509 ✭✭✭argentum

I have to say unless something went very wrong with a pre planned segment today it was very fecking lazy to repeat an interview from yesterday. I cant see myself staying on today fm at all now between 9.00 am and 4.30pm.I miss paper reviews and a bit of news and don't care for the banter at 9.00 am.I've listened to the 2 of them since 98fm but I think that this is a step too far and it doesn't sound right.
    I wonder if they will do serious interviews at all from now on or just have Dermot take off all their guests
    I'll give it another day or two but if it doesn't improve Ill be gone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,781 ✭✭✭clappyhappy

Really disappointed in their show, couldn't believe they got about an hour out of talcum powder. I changed the station, nothing else great on, reception for red FM isn't great at work, 4fm play the same songs all the time so ended up with 2fm. Left it on for the day, it's not great but at least I'm not listening to some silly talk about powder and the oldest cow in Ireland. I would prefer something a bit more serious and topical. Can't see myself turning back. Really like red FM, KC is great in the morning, I need to sort out reception at work.

Enjoyed the show today (besides the interview repeat at the start) and I like having something a little lighter to listen to in the mornings in the office, played some decent music today too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,923 ✭✭✭DopeTech

Yeah they went on far too long with the talc talk. Would like something slightly more serious, just not sure they are capable of it.

https://www.buymeacoffee.com/dopetech.ie

FrostyJim wrote: »
    Yeah they went on far too long with the talc talk. Would like something slightly more serious, just not sure they are capable of it.

Its not what they were moved there to do though...the old format with a mix of chat, music and serious topics that Anton and Darcy did has been done away with in favour of this so people on here blaming them for being moved into the slot to do what they have always done is pointless...its what they were put there to do (rightly or wrongly).

I think Communicorp's point of view is if you want serious go to Newstalk, if you want music and entertainment its Today FM...not saying I agree with this at all but that seems to be the way it is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,187 ✭✭✭seanin4711

Irish radio is sh1te,few good shows on news talk and thats it.
    They don't know what they are trying to be.
    Play a mix of music and reduce the sh1te talk then they might have a chance
    I am reduced to lyric FM
    But have Metallica ready on CD at any given moment.
    Ireland really struggles for "talent" on the airwaves or on TV for that matter.

• Advertisement
Advertisement