Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

1 year working visa Australia

Options
  • 20-08-2014 5:16am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭

Heading to Sydney in the new year was just wondering what people make of getting work there? And any experiences/advice of Australia they'd like to share, have a friend there already who's claiming he can get me work but wouldn't want to rely on someone for it incase it doesn't come to be, Will do any work just wondering if fruit picking, Labouring etc would pay enough to get by on and is finding work really as easy to come by as people claim, thanks for replies in advance

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭aido79

Juan8 wrote: »
    Heading to Sydney in the new year was just wondering what people make of getting work there? And any experiences/advice of Australia they'd like to share, have a friend there already who's claiming he can get me work but wouldn't want to rely on someone for it incase it doesn't come to be, Will do any work just wondering if fruit picking, Labouring etc would pay enough to get by on and is finding work really as easy to come by as people claim, thanks for replies in advance

To be honest you make your own luck to an extent here. If your friend can offer you a place to stay until you set yourself up it might be more useful than a job. You might not like the job he gets you and could end up quitting after the first week. If you have any qualifications and experience from Ireland you will have more chance of getting work than having nothing. Make sure to have a cv done before you get on the plane as this is a common mistake people make especially if they are not used to needing a cv to get a job as is the case in Ireland a lot of the time. Most people who put the effort in and are willing to adapt to different things get on reasonably good here. It's good to have friends here that can help you at the start but try not to become over reliant on them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭pete4130

January/February can be a tough time to look for work.

Aus school holidays, people not hiring, right after Xmas, mid summer, higher amount of people just arriving in the new year on WHV's etc...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Yeah a lot of what I've heard is if you're willing to put the effort in it will work out for you, And yeah I was thinking of maybe pushing back going till march for the same reason as mentioned, After xmas, more new people just arriving etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Pacalchim

I arrived in Brisbane in January of this year and found it hard to get work initially. Sent off countless cvs. But then I applied for a job on a Friday/ got a phone call on the Sunday evenin and started the Monday morning and I'm currently in the process of being sponsored by the same employer. If you look hard enough you will find work. Best way is through gumtree and research what jobs you think you might do? I.e if working in construction you will need safety card (called a white card in Queensland) not sure what it's called in Nsw

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭AngryHippie

Pacalchim wrote: »
    I arrived in Brisbane in January of this year and found it hard to get work initially. Sent off countless cvs. But then I applied for a job on a Friday/ got a phone call on the Sunday evenin and started the Monday morning and I'm currently in the process of being sponsored by the same employer. If you look hard enough you will find work. Best way is through gumtree and research what jobs you think you might do? I.e if working in construction you will need safety card (called a white card in Queensland) not sure what it's called in Nsw

Congrats. You've gotten a break there. Run with it now !
    (Also if you are getting sponsored, do as many training courses and tickets as you can as quickly as you can)

White card should be national.

Also some companies do not accept the an online course (They are obliged to mention this to you before you complete it, and its only one or two of the bigger companies)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

Pacalchim wrote: »

Almost the same story as this...

Arrived in Jan and got a job after two days of looking and am now in the process of sorting out sponsorship with the same employer.

But tbf my CV/Resume was pretty good for my trade as I had being doing it a long time and had my own business in Ireland etc.

I sent my CV off to every company I found on Seek and Gumtree, if you can leave it until Feb or more I would because some of the companies got back to me in Feb/Mar.

You will need the White card to work in Sydney for construction etc, it's as easy as the safe pass at home. I think you can do it online from home but it's easy to sort out when you land as hopefully you will be bringing enough money to cover you for a few weeks in case you can t find work.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,988 ✭✭✭jacksie66

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 387 ✭✭top madra

jacksie66 wrote: »
    Ever consider Christchurch NZ? The amount of work going on here is staggering. No exaggeration. They're crying out for construction workers here. I honestly think it's busier than peak boom time at home.

Whats the money like though?

I got offered a job there when I went to one of those expo things in the RDS but the money wasn't the greatest..

And my friend who is a sparky is after leaving a job here in Syd that was paying $54ph and is getting paid $25ph in NZ (he went for the snow season before he heads home)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 372 ✭✭Juan8

Yeah I'm planning in applying for jobs before I go there, trying to get as much cash up as possible up to give myself at least 2 months to find work while being able to live comfortably enough, I have family and friends there aswell so if all goes wrong I won't be stranded, thanks for the advice everyone will take note

• Registered Users Posts: 15 emma1919

Juan8 wrote: »

I'm heading to Sydney myself in Jan and have the same fears! I'm not sure whether to concentrate on getting a job first or a place to live? It would seem quite obvious to sort income out before committing to rent, but the thoughts of job hunting all day to go back to a hostel seems a bit rough! I'd ideally like to find myself a nice house share with some young Irish or Brits, who I can share some vino with in the evenings!

• Advertisement
Advertisement