Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Base bar question

Options
  • 20-08-2014 7:32am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭

Looking to upgrade the base and aero bars on my bike. Currently there 400mm wide but I'm more used to the width of the ones on my road bike, which are 440mm wide. I've only had the TT bike a couple of months and i was just wondering should I get my new bars the same width as the ones on my road bike? Or should TT bars be a size smaller than road bike bars?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

lizzylad84 wrote: »
    Looking to upgrade the base and aero bars on my bike. Currently there 400mm wide but I'm more used to the width of the ones on my road bike, which are 440mm wide. I've only had the TT bike a couple of months and i was just wondering should I get my new bars the same width as the ones on my road bike? Or should TT bars be a size smaller than road bike bars?

If you are that concerned about the width of your base bars it would lead me to believe you would be better off on your road bike.

If you are using them that much to notice and be concerned by how much they differ to your road bike then you are not ready to be riding a TT. Stay aero and base bar width doesn't matter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

400 imm is very common for tri aero bars , if you were to upgrad and go wider you are not really upgrading as wider is more fronal area which then is slower .
    to answer question yes base bar should be narrower on tt than road .
    I guess you cycle faster than tunney but he has a point on technical coursses a tt bike with drop bars can well be faster dpending on bike handling skills and wellington won hawaii on drop bars.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,583 ✭✭✭✭tunney

peter kern wrote: »
    400 imm is very common for tri aero bars , if you were to upgrad and go wider you are not really upgrading as wider is more fronal area which then is slower .
    to answer question yes base bar should be narrower on tt than road .
    I guess you cycle faster than tunney but he has a point on technical coursses a tt bike with drop bars can well be faster dpending on bike handling skills and wellington won hawaii on drop bars.

Most people do cycle faster, but I can still handle a bike. TT or road :)

If you are riding on the base bars alot - either you cannot ride a TT bike, or you should have picked a road bike for the specific course.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭peter kern

or C many triathletes (fazz and myself included) have only one good bike to race on . which would ALWAYS be faster than their other bike
    even in a hill tt if i adjust position.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,420 ✭✭✭lizzylad84

Cheers for the advice folks. I'm a newbie to the bright shiny world of triathlon's, so all help and advice is greatly appreciated.

• Advertisement
Advertisement