Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Lakes 10K 06/09/2014

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭

Lakeshore Striders are running The Lakes 10K in Blessington on the 6th of September at 11am.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ord56619oys

Last year’s results

Race Details
    Race Details: AAI Permit, Accurate Course Measurement (Jones Counter)
    Prize Categories: 1st, 2nd and 3rd overall (Male and Female). 1st and 2nd in ages 35-45, 45-55 and 55+ (Male and Female).
    Timing: Chip Timing System
    11am start time.
    Route Info: Fast and scenic route around Blessington Lake. Roads closed to traffic.
    Entrants: Limited to 600 entrants. Over 18's only. Wheelchair competitors welcome.
    Extras: Goodie bag's and more for all runners!
    Please note: Race pack will be posted to entrants a few weeks before the race.
    No entries will be accepted on the day. This is for entrants comfort and logistic reasons. Thank you.
    For more information see http://www.thelakes10k.ie/
    Date: 6th September, 11 am

How did you rate the race? 10 votes

The best
    0% 0 votes
    Great
    80% 8 votes
    OK
    20% 2 votes
    Poor
    0% 0 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Looks good, I see from the photos that there were pacers for last years race.
    Will this be the case again this year?
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 851 ✭✭✭thewolf_ie

No pacers unfortunately, they were just signs suggesting starting areas for particular target times.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

this is a super race, did it last year, got a PB, would love to do again but have the Athlone half the following week...

• Registered Users Posts: 19,525 ✭✭✭✭Krusty_Clown

Doing it this year (4th year in a row). PB every year so far.
    Also doing Athlone the following week. Just sayin'. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,616 ✭✭✭overpronator

Ive been looking forward to this one for a while, mostly due to the praise from last years thread. Would you do a quick course breakdown Krusty, if you can remember it?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Me too! Well, first time doing this race (also signed up because of the great feedback on here the past 2 years). I won't be racing Athlone though so I'll have to work extra hard in Blessington:)

Ive been looking forward to this one for a while, mostly due to the praise from last years thread. Would you do a quick course breakdown Krusty, if you can remember it?

There is a video of the course above if that helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,009 ✭✭✭Firedance

:p:p:p:p:p yeah but you're obviously SUPER and I'm just not :D

Firedance wrote: »
    :p:p:p:p:p yeah but you're obviously SUPER and I'm just not :D
    Nah, you're more super than me. I'm just joshin. I'll pay for my humour when you zip past me in Athlone, with 100m to go. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 301 ✭✭FITZA

Last year was my first Lakes 10k and I really enjoyed it, great atmosphere :) I have signed up for this year and am looking forward to it. My recollection of the course...a few small hills/climbs in the first 5k but nothing major and some downhill also, a nasty hill just before 7k and then almost all downhill or flat to the finish, one little hill in the last 1k but not worth talking about! Lots of goodies afterwards...never tasted a chocolate muffin as good :)

• Advertisement

Only 100 places left!

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭redved

Where do we collect our numbers on the day, I never received mine in the race pack.
    Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Abhainn

redved wrote: »
    Where do we collect our numbers on the day, I never received mine in the race pack.
    Thanks

informed earlier no. pick up is on the day.
    Was down for this but sadly cant make it now.

redved wrote: »
    Thanks

I received a very detailed information sheet in the post from the Lakes 10k....first item listed is Pre Race and Race Day Registration.
    This is the info
    For those of you who can, we recommend you avail of collecting your race number and timing chip prior to race day. These can be collected as follows:
    Dublin: Thursday 4th Sept, 5:30pm to 8pm from Amphibian King, Bray, Co. Dublin
    Wicklow: Friday 5th Sept, 5pm to 8pm, from St. Mary's School, Blessington (across from the Topaz garage and behind the church)
    Otherwise there will be a registration desk at the Lakeshore Amenity area on the morning of the race where you should aim to collect your number no later than 10:30am.

FITZA wrote: »
    I received a very detailed information sheet in the post from the Lakes 10k....first item listed is Pre Race and Race Day Registration.
    This is the info
    For those of you who can, we recommend you avail of collecting your race number and timing chip prior to race day. These can be collected as follows:
    Dublin: Thursday 4th Sept, 5:30pm to 8pm from Amphibian King, Bray, Co. Dublin
    Wicklow: Friday 5th Sept, 5pm to 8pm, from St. Mary's School, Blessington (across from the Topaz garage and behind the church)
    Otherwise there will be a registration desk at the Lakeshore Amenity area on the morning of the race where you should aim to collect your number no later than 10:30am.

Thanks! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Ladyrunrunrun

Omg very nervous now I signed up to this....want to do it but only a few weeks running and very slow. It will be my first race..... Please tell me I'm not on my own. I'm very very slow...

Omg very nervous now I signed up to this....want to do it but only a few weeks running and very slow. It will be my first race..... Please tell me I'm not on my own. I'm very very slow...

You will be fine and well supported! People of all levels will be running.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 khno3

gutted i have to pull out of this, my knee is out of action the last week and just not any better. hope you all have a fab morning, happy running :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,610 ✭✭✭yaboya1

Good luck to all doing this tomorrow.
    Weather looks favourable for running.

Sadly, have to pull out of this one, after slipping a disc in my back while rock climbing last night. Hoped it might be better this morning, but a night of no sleep suggests otherwise. Have a blast and save me a muffin! Bring home some PBs, or don't come back at all. :)

• Advertisement

Sadly, have to pull out of this one, after slipping a disc in my back while rock climbing last night. Hoped it might be better this morning, but a night of no sleep suggests otherwise. Have a blast and save me a muffin! Bring home some PBs, or don't come back at all. :)

Very sorry to hear. Hope it heals quickly!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,082 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

Ditto here, ribs not recovered enough to lose 4hrs this morning on a training run.
    Have gotten roped into running the final leg of a tri relay close by though, so I'll incorporate that into a longer run. Now where's me Lycra!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

No PB but a muffin!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,065 ✭✭✭dublin runner

No PB but a muffin!

Great morning ran 37:44 which is over a minute of my PB which I ran on a much easier course than the one today.

Congrats to the organisers of this excellent event. Organisation was brilliant...and the goodie bag and of course the vast selection of muffins topped it off! Weather was sorted as well :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,548 ✭✭✭Marthastew

Massive thanks to al the wonderful friendly and helpful volunteers today for a really, really great race. Having heard great things on here I was expecting a good race and I definitely wasn't disappointed. Seamless organisation and a very relaxed but prompt start. The projected-time signs were a great idea, no congestion at all at the start and as expected the hill was tough but overall it was a fair course (so I've no excuse for no PB;)). Great local support along parts of the route and beautiful scenery. I'll defintely be back!
    Congrats to all on here who ran and comiserations to those who couldn't run, wishing you all a speedy recovery

No PB for me either but I'm very happy with a consistent run on tired legs and I managed to bag an Old Dear prize so not a bad day at all. I forgot to get you a muffin but I really enjoyed the one I had.:D

How are you feeling now? I hope it is healing well and it won't knock you back too much? Are you being a good patient or driving Emer911 around the bend?;) Keeping fingers and toes crossed for you
    BeepBeep67 wrote: »
    Ditto here, ribs not recovered enough to lose 4hrs this morning on a training run.
    Have gotten roped into running the final leg of a tri relay close by though, so I'll incorporate that into a longer run. Now where's me Lycra!

If it's any consolation your clubmates did you proud with lots of podium places, some fantastic running by all, especially the ladies; 2nd and 3rd place:):)

• Registered Users Posts: 730 ✭✭✭antomagoo

Cheers for the positive feedback. As a member of the race committee, it's great to know that those taking part enjoyed it.

Few teething problems as per usual, but probably nothing anyone (other than ourselves) noticed.

Hope the bodies are better soon, Krusty & Beep Beep. Conspicuous by your absence from the front of the starting line

antomagoo wrote: »

Few teething problems as per usual, but probably nothing anyone (other than ourselves) noticed.

was thinking that hill shouldn't have been there!!:D

Great event :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭outforarun

Just thought I'd throw up my race report here. It also contains some reasons why I love this race. It and the Cork City Marathon are the two races I most look forward to every year.

Lakeshore Striders take a bow.

Advertisement