Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spiders in Ireland

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,210 ✭✭✭nelly17

Yeah I spotted frightening stuff - personally I'd normally be pretty blazee about picking them up with a piece of kitchen Towel and throwing them outside but this would make you think twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,000 ✭✭✭fizzypish

Brilliant. Deadly spider, I know sacrifice the kids to it!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,192 ✭✭✭Ken Shamrock

nelly17 wrote: »
    Yeah I spotted frightening stuff - personally I'd normally be pretty blazee about picking them up with a piece of kitchen Towel and throwing them outside but this would make you think twice.

Kitchen towel?? I just pick them up, i even pull their legs of some times (yes i know how childish) but jesus i think i'll be using the kitchen roll now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,380 ✭✭✭✭Banjo String

I used to work as a green keeper on a golf course in Manly, in Sydneys Northern beaches. I found these little feckers almost every day, especially in the sand bunkers.

Very unassuming little lads, except for the Red stripe up their back.

Then there was the Huntsman which was a big hairy bollox, scary as fcuk and big as your hand, but relatively harmless (not toxic afaik) . He was also to be found all over the show.

Worse of the lot was the Sydney funnel Web, and luckily enough (or unlucky if you're into that kind of thing) I never seen one in the wild.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Barely There

Throw Argos catalogue.
    Emit girly scream.
    Run away.

3 steps process which works every time for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,382 ✭✭✭gjc

fizzypish wrote: »
    Brilliant. Deadly spider, I know sacrifice the kids to it!
    Ha! Didn't mean it like that... Ment to say I get the kids to do a job that I can't do...but I'll be thinking twice in future my young fella just grabs them in his hand !!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,453 ✭✭✭Shenshen

From Wikipedia:
    The redback's small size means that swelling or puncture marks at the bite site are uncommon. The bite may be painful from the start, but more often only feels like a pinprick or mild burning sensation.[71] Within an hour, a more severe local pain may develop with local sweating and sometimes piloerection (goosebumps)—these three symptoms together are a classic presentation of redback spider envenomation.[104] Pain, swelling and redness can spread proximally up a limb or away from the bite site[52][71][88] and regional lymph nodes may become painful.[74] Some subjects with delayed symptoms may present with a characteristic sweating and pain in the lower limbs,[104] generally below the knees,[88] or a burning sensation in the soles of the feet. This may eventuate even if the person was bitten somewhere else on their body.[104]

Around one in three subjects develops systemic envenomation;[88] this may occur after a number of hours, or rarely, be delayed for more than 24 hours;[69][105] symptoms typically include nausea, vomiting, abdominal or chest pain, agitation, headache, generalised sweating and hypertension.[88][104] Severe pain usually persists for over 24 hours after being bitten, and symptoms of envenomation may linger for weeks or even months.[48] Rare complications include seizure, coma, pulmonary edema, respiratory failure or localised skin infection.[69] Children, the elderly, or those with serious medical conditions are at much higher risk of severe effects and death resulting from a bite.[82] Infants have died within hours of a bite, but adult fatalities have taken up to 30 days.

I honestly find it hard to believe there would be any insects of arachnids with a venom that will take a full year to harm their victims....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

Shenshen wrote: »
    From Wikipedia:

I honestly find it hard to believe there would be any insects of arachnids with a venom that will take a full year to harm their victims....

The Irish Sun Redback works in mysterious ways.

I know it's not ment to be a funny article but was it nessecary to put in that it took a roll and a half of toilet roll and that his testicles swelled up can't help but feel that it's too much information

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

There was an autopsy presumably?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,462 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

gjc wrote: »
    I know it's not ment to be a funny article but was it nessecary to put in that it took a roll and a half of toilet roll and that his testicles swelled up can't help but feel that it's too much information

Not that funny in fairness.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,686 ✭✭✭✭Zubeneschamali

It reads more like a Waterford Whispers piece than a news article.

"An inquest into his death is due to take place."

Any bets spider bites from 2013 do not feature in the autopsy report?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,014 ✭✭✭marko93

"There have been no confirmed sightings of the poisonous spider in Ireland but they have been found in the UK in imported goods."

Well I just won't go to the UK then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,166 ✭✭✭Beefy78

Yep. Seems a bit early to be pinning the blame on a spider bite. He was bit last year. This year he fell ill. The story makes it sound like there's definitely a link but doesn't say how.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,230 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I think it's relevant to report the symptoms.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Damn them non native things - once found a raccoon here...!

[Seriously]

Got American Bison down the road [owner of them Bison at Tayto park], and closeby someone with numerous peacocks that don't STFU -.-;

What's wrong with that information, they needed lots of 1 toilet roll to stem the blood flow, his testicles swelled up in response to the bite. Testicle are organs just like any other, I don't find swollen testicle any funnier than swollen kidneys or any other organ.

Gosh neither do I what I thought was the reporting/writing of the article was badly written it should be enough to say they found it hard to stem the blood , organs in the body swelled up.... Even the way they said" the paramedic said it's not looking good...." Could be better written was my point. Don't expect much from the Irish sun but the indo should be able to report on it better looks like they just copy and pasted

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,122 ✭✭✭BeerWolf

Gosh neither do I what I thought was the reporting/writing of the article was badly written it should be enough to say they found it hard to stem the blood , organs in the body swelled up.... Even the way they said" the paramedic said it's not looking good...." Could be better written was my point

They were describing the symptoms...

BeerWolf wrote: »
    They were describing the symptoms...

Which a half-assed Google search would show do not resemble a Redback bite in the slightest.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Jaysus that's pretty bad, even for the Indo. It's a report on a Sun report. What's that, 4th or 5th-hand?

Sounds more like a serious infection or allergy got him, not a bloody spider bite from a year before.

Welcome to the bottom of the barrel, Indo. You've finally made it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,809 ✭✭✭✭smash

The Indo should send Niamh Horan out to investigate venomous spiders.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,028 ✭✭✭Wossack

smash wrote: »

'..but with nothing to hand, I had to resort to desperate measures - quick as a flash I was armed, and began swinging at it with my bra..'

Wossack wrote: »
    '..but with nothing to hand, I had to resort to desperate measures - quick as a flash I was armed, and began swinging at it with my bra..'

'The cup size was definitely the perfect size for the task as hand, or at least perfect size for the hand anyway... or so I've been told wink wink nudge nudge'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,835 ✭✭✭✭cloud493

I don't deal with the spiders personally. Thats what the flamethrower is for.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,221 ✭✭✭✭m5ex9oqjawdg2i

Ah, the Indo. Our very own Fox News.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

smash wrote: »

And Kitty Holland, both equally venomous creatures!

A can of Mr. Sheen and a cigarette lighter..

Seattle man tries to kill spider, burns down own house

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Trap spider in a glass,release it at the end of the garden or out a window.No need to pick them up,or needlessly kill them either.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

Trap spider in a glass,release it at the end of the garden or out a window.No need to pick them up,or needlessly kill them either.

Spiderbro kills enemy Wasps and Flys. Spiderbro is my friend.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,798 ✭✭✭Mr. Incognito

This is horsedung

1. He was bitten the year before he died. A Full YEAR. (if he was even bitten at all) You would react to venom within 24 hours

2. It's extremely rare from someone to die from a red back spider bite

3. The Australian Red Back, lives in AUSTRALIA 20,000 miles away. I doubt it made it to Cork. How it would have survived in our climate is beyond me

4. It's the fooking gutter rag that is the Indo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,238 ✭✭✭humbert

The Indo is repugnant and threads like this allow it to thrive.

Anybody reading this thread who still buys it, sincerely, please stop.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,699 ✭✭✭The Pheasant2

Standard sensationalist bollocks from the indo, the symptoms described such as the profuse bleeding have no match with symptoms of a redback bite.

Cue all the idiots who believe the ****e pedalled by this rag going around and needlessly killing all the spiders they see - was the exact same with the "false widows" scare last year

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,169 ✭✭✭The Peanut

This is horsedung

1. He was bitten the year before he died. A Full YEAR. (if he was even bitten at all) You would react to venom within 24 hours

2. It's extremely rare from someone to die from a red back spider bite

3. The Australian Red Back, lives in AUSTRALIA 20,000 miles away. I doubt it made it to Cork. How it would have survived in our climate is beyond me

4. It's the fooking gutter rag that is the Indo

But it's not the Australian Redback. It's the Irish Sun Redback. Has the power to delay venom impact for up to 12 months. Possible connections to Ebola and Lion's Mane Jellyfish to be established.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,902 ✭✭✭MagicIRL

The Peanut wrote: »
    But it's not the Australian Redback. It's the Irish Sun Redback. Has the power to delay venom impact for up to 12 months. Possible connections to Ebola and Lion's Mane Jellyfish to be established.

He's also signing on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,866 ✭✭✭Fat Christy

From Wikipedia:

Smells like pure BS!

And the Indo quoted the Sun, the fcuking Sun. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Smells like pure BS!

And the Indo quoted the Sun, the fcuking Sun. :rolleyes:

Must be a slow news day in the indo offices

3. The Australian Red Back, lives in AUSTRALIA 20,000 miles away.

Direct provision illegal immigrant failed asylum seeker bites Cork man!

Dies!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,570 ✭✭✭Mint Aero

Hoover does the job :cool: I always said it was us against them but everyone laughed. Who's laughing now??? The spiders that's who.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,133 ✭✭✭FloatingVoter

Everybody allergic to poisonous Irish spiders needs to emigrate to Australia immediately. There's a surprise waiting for you there.

Everybody allergic to poisonous Irish spiders needs to emigrate to Australia immediately. There's a surprise waiting for you there.
    At least you'd stand some chance of living if you were in Australia I doubt irish hospitals would have a big stockpile of anti venom serum

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Well, if it's accurate, we should be ensuring we've a stock of anti-venom in A&E wards and start up a mandatory reporting scheme so that their numbers can be limited.

There is a population of them in New Zealand, Japan and oddly enough Belgium where they'd have weather in many parts very similar to Ireland. They were all introduced accidentally.

• Registered Users Posts: 147 ✭✭Jon_459

Quote:
    Before his death, Kennedy suffered stomach swelling, organ failure and his eyesight failed.
    He got bitten. We found a spider with a weird red back,” his wife of 21 years Jeanne told the Irish Sun.“But the bite he got had bled very badly. We went through a roll and a half of toilet roll to try and stop it.”
    Jeanne said John’s health quickly deteriorated and his stomach and testicles swelled up.
    John was rushed to hospital on July 17 after vomiting blood and briefly losing his eyesight

Here's what I don't get - he was bitten last year and his health 'quickly deteriorated' How long did it take to get to July 16/17 ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭Nemeses

Jon_459 wrote: »
    Quote:

Here's what I don't get - he was bitten last year and his health 'quickly deteriorated' How long did it take to get to July 16/17 ?

A year.... Did you not read the report? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 755 ✭✭✭mr kr0nik

Throw Argos catalogue.
    Emit girly scream.
    Run away.

3 steps process which works every time for me.

You must be doing weights.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,088 ✭✭✭SpaceTime

Just make sure you get one of those hoovers that has self-closing bags, so you can dispose of the spider carefully. You don't want to be fishing her out of a Dyson's clear plastic bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,038 ✭✭✭circadian

I spotted a greenback weaver last week on the Luas, apparently their bite can hurt a fair whack. Native to Ireland as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,518 ✭✭✭stefan idiot jones

These are some of my housemates.

Nothing to be scared of until you walk through a fresh web at night.

► 0:26► 0:26
    www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgoG5BjFE7w
    1 Jan 2014 - Uploaded by VideozNow
    A man has been given a shock after he started petting what he thought was a small pile of hair ...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Reindeer

One of our work mates, as in he is in work with us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZrfoEeaJw

Reindeer wrote: »
    One of our work mates, as in he is in work with us:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h8ZrfoEeaJw
    cant see ****, it's out of focus.

• Advertisement
Advertisement