Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension advice

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:37am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭

Wondering if any property experts can help us out.

We're currently planning on doing some work on the house.

We're gaining a bedroom at the front making it a 3 bedroom (one big with ensuite and two 3x3 , one of which has attic ceiling)

We have a playroom at the back beside our 3x4 kitchen. We're converting this into a utility & shower room and can't decide whether to keep the playroom or knock through the kitchen wall to make a dining room, with sliding doors all along.

For us now, it would be more liveable to have the dining room, but at the same time we're hesitant about getting rid of a potential bedroom, as we do plan on selling in 4/5 years. We can't sell now for financial reasons.

However, if we sold the house as a four bed, surely a family of 5 would prefer it have a bigger leisure/eating area?

Another option would be to knock out the external wall of the kitchen and build a dining room but I'm worried it would look quite ugly and as the kitchen already has pocket doors to the sitting room it would be like one big long room, and I'm afraid it wouldn't flow well /& it would look weird.

I really appreciate any advice that might help me get my head around this!!

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,140 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Contact an architect for layout/design advice and separately ask an auctioneer to value the options you have outlined above.

You say you'll move in 5years. Are you willing to compromise on your standard of living/comfort for that period, in the hope a potential buyer will prefer a fifth bedroom over decent family area?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

BryanF wrote: »
    Contact an architect for layout/design advice and separately ask an auctioneer to value the options you have outlined above.

You say you'll move in 5years. Are you willing to comparison on your standard of living/comfort for that period in the hope a potential buyer will prefer a fifth bedroom over decent family area?

Thanks Bryan. I think contacting an auctioneer is the option we will take. The architect we have used would put a spaceship on the back of the house if we let him, whilst going over budget and changing the entire layout etc!! So perhaps an auctioneer would be more helpful. Thanks , I appreciate your reply.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,476 ✭✭✭2rkehij30qtza5

Contact a civil enginner rather than an architect and you will likely get a more practical proposal for the house. With regards to planning permission, internal alterations to a dwelling are exempt and there are certain limitations to this, but, you can extend without permission if the area of the extension is less than 40 sq. metres.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,513 ✭✭✭✭TheDriver

with extensions at front etc, you will need planning and hence assigned certifier and designer and costs will be quite big for professional advice. Get quotes for this first...........

• Registered Users Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭Flippyfloppy

TheDriver wrote: »
    with extensions at front etc, you will need planning and hence assigned certifier and designer and costs will be quite big for professional advice. Get quotes for this first...........

Thanks for the advice. At the front we're just altering internally..I wish we could alter the front of the house but we're a semi d so no chance of that!!

Galway girl I'll take that on board regarding the civil engineer! The practical path is the one we want to take. The extension is only a small only also, much less than 40m2, I think at the max it would be 20m2

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,480 ✭✭✭Markcheese

If you don't have space in your kitchen for a dining table go with a dining room/ dining area... Don't think a family needing 3/4 bedrooms would want a house without decent dining area...
    Decent Estate agent will probably know what'll sell best..

Slava ukraini 🇺🇦

• Registered Users Posts: 1,017 ✭✭✭Crow92

Ditch the architect you have now if they are being unrealistic/not on the same page as you.

Shouldn't be too hard to find an architect to design a simple and efficient extension and layout for your house. I don't see why you'd get a civil engineer imo, plenty of level headed architects.

This isn't a dream home your building here with all bells and whistles so just make it clear what you're trying to achieve and have a realistic budget for it.

If the price seems crazy there's one of two things going on. Either you have an unrealistic budget or your architect isn't doing his job.

If it was me id rather have a note liveable space rather than 5 bedrooms. If the space isn't up to scratch with more people in the house it'll feel cramped and sure families are smaller in general these days.

Advertisement