Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

100% Legal 0% Fair...

• 20-08-2014 9:49am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭

Who remembers the big deal around Adidas Predators?! I used to pester the crap out of my parents for these boots, obviously at around the £100 (punts)mark there wasnt much hope. As I got older and saved I got my first pair part financed by my Dad who basically told me to never tell my mother the actual cost of them ( or the fact they were made from skippy the kangaroo :pac:)
    I loved them so much I still have them, I also have my last pair from around 2005. Was looking online and Im STUNNED by the price they go for, even now, 2nd hand a decade and more later.

The pair I always wanted was Beckhams from the 1998 world cup. AAAAAANNND come 25th August Ill be getting a pair 16 years later,:D, as Adidas are celebrating the 20th anniversary of their launch and releasing limited edition runs of the 1994, 1998 and 2002 Predators :)

http://www.footyheadlines.com/2014/02/three-iconic-2014-adidas-predator.html

In fact the 1994 ones are on adidas.ie at the moment for €300 :eek:

Anybody still wear these boots or have memories of them?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,464 ✭✭✭Chip Whitley

The 1998 was my own favourite, and could never afford them. Would love a pair of the remake but I wouldn't wear them enough to justify €300.

If they made an astroturf version though, I'm in. :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,853 ✭✭✭Cake Man

Ah jaysus I had those 1998 ones, they were class! I remember pestering me mother for them until she eventually handed over the £100 or so for them, was over the moon with them!

They actually still look class, the 2002 ones still also look deadly and both are nicer than today's models IMO.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

If you were bad at football, they didnt make you better.
    If you were average, they didnt make you better.

They were/are complete bullsh1t. Its the feet in the boots that matters.

I feel sorry for the parents that buy boots for their children at ridiculous prices. Complete rip off. Same for any boots by the way, and for Lucozade.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,336 ✭✭✭Blue giant

Fudge You wrote: »

I feel sorry for the parents that buy boots for their children at ridiculous prices. Complete rip off. Same for any boots by the way, and for Lucozade.

As your username says "fudge you"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Remember buying a pair once and playing a GAA match a few days later, scored four goals and came off the field with my feet bleeding where the top of the studs had cut through the insole into my feet. Last pair I ever bought.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

2002 Predator Manias are the pinnacle of football boots for me. Iconic.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,536 ✭✭✭Dolph Starbeam

2002. Del Piero. Predators. White sole. Drool.

Nicest boot ever.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,206 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Remember buying a pair once and playing a GAA match a few days later, scored four goals and came off the field with my feet bleeding where the top of the studs had cut through the insole into my feet. Last pair I ever bought.

No pain, no gain right?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

My first and last Predators were the blue Predator Mania.

I've always wore Adidas but after them I've worn World Cups and right now F50's.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,416 ✭✭✭Zico

I remember it didn't take long for word to get around that they were rubbish. It was comical watching some people with them, trying cross field passes with the outside of their boot and generally things beyond their ability with tragically bad results.

It was a bit like the Air Jordan craze when guys were breaking arms and cracking their skulls trying slam dunks because they thought £100 footwear could defy the laws of physics.:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

Predator Manias are beyond doubt the best boots ever. Particularly the steel blades. I know people who've been hunting them down for about 6+ years.

Predator Manias are beyond doubt the best boots ever. Particularly the steel blades. I know people who've been hunting them down for about 6+ years.

If you've got a pair in good condition you will fetch at least £300 on ebay for them.

Insane demand for them still to this day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,672 ✭✭✭elefant

What's the story with this thread title?

elefant wrote: »
    What's the story with this thread title?

Original adidas Predator tag-line I believe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Had the Manias for a good bit, and while a nice boot, always found them a bit stiff to wear and slightly heavy weighted. They were fine but wouldn't have gone out of my way to buy another pair.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,673 ✭✭✭AllGunsBlazing

Thought the predators were a bit showy meself. Funnily enough the ones who nearly always wore them around our way were easily the worst players and invariably picked last or completely overlooked.

It was almost as if the boots were some attempt at compensation.....

Craig Johnston who helped developed the boot wasn't best pleased at the amount adidas charged for them. He thought they were a complete rip off as well.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,009 ✭✭✭Tangatagamadda Chaddabinga Bonga Bungo

Would Craig Johnston still be getting royalties for designing them originally?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Remember the hype alright, all the young lads wanted them. They were seen as some special boot that could make you shoot/cross etc better. Beckham was a marketing machine back then

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

You know when you hear the womens go on about some shoe or dress from some designer and they gush about it and then pay an absolute fortune on it?

Whether you realise it or not lads, this is like that. Except it's worse. I'm quite shocked at some of you. :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭astonaidan

Not exactly true, depends on how you kick a ball, Predators never suited me at all, they were to wide

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,347 ✭✭✭✭SteelyDanJalapeno

Manias were class, haters gonna hate

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Del piero , zidane and beckham always picked last. That last lad was trying shots from the halfway line the eejit.

The jealousy of some people! I found them to be great boots, don't know if they did much for the ball spin over anything else.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Donnielighto

Had (still have?) Two pairs of bladed ones that I haven't worn in 6 years since doing my acl as I only use studs. Still wouldn't sell.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Copa Mundials, Kaisers or World Cup. The only Adidas boots worth getting if you're Joe Shmoh.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,775 ✭✭✭✭kfallon

Litbarski's FTW! :pac:

Kirby wrote: »
    You know when you hear the womens go on about some shoe or dress from some designer and they gush about it and then pay an absolute fortune on it?

Whether you realise it or not lads, this is like that. Except it's worse. I'm quite shocked at some of you. :P

cf26eeb9c996d1d4ce031b236e047566ae4f764c9badf3df409cb277c511ef78.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭BeepBeep67

kona wrote: »
    100% Legal 0% Fair

I remember seeing that poster on a large billboard as you exit across cylindrical walkway at Heathrow T1 and someone had added f**kin' £100 a pair ;)

if your going to be bad or average its important to look good at the very least :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,116 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

They're not a patch a Puma Kings tbh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Quazzie wrote: »
    They're not a patch a Puma Kings tbh

The boot of choice for GAA free takers in the late 80's to mid 90's. Charlie Redmond is to blame

Well, I got my hands on a pair from adidas.com they are sold out everywhere now. Apart from donedeal lol

http://www.donedeal.ie/fieldsports-for-sale/adidas-predator-accelerator-9-5-8-5/7561665

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,827 ✭✭✭fred funk }{

kona wrote: »
    Well, I got my hands on a pair from adidas.com they are sold out everywhere now. Apart from donedeal lol

http://www.donedeal.ie/fieldsports-for-sale/adidas-predator-accelerator-9-5-8-5/7561665

€550 fook me.

€550 fook me.

I should have bought 3 instead of one!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Kingdom wrote: »
    Copa Mundials, Kaisers or World Cup. The only Adidas boots worth getting if you're Joe Shmoh.

Referee boots :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,413 ✭✭✭chupacabra

900x900px-LL-b31690bd_Nofunallowedrobot.jpeg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Adidas Stratos SL's were my first pair

• Closed Accounts Posts: 978 ✭✭✭Fudge You

chupacabra wrote: »
    [ Stupid no fun picture

How is it fun to be ripped off??? Cause Beckham and steve Gerrard wears them????

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,508 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

And John Collins...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Im more of a Copa mundial, kaiser or world cup man myself;)

rocking a pair of World Cups myself this season....but then i was always more of a fan of Klinsman than Beckham:D

• Advertisement
Advertisement