Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Low numbers on old County reg plates

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

Hi,

could anyone confirm whether the low numbers (under 250) after each county prefix were held back by the motortax office for

A. Special order
    B. Imported vehicles.

I am referring in particular to the early 1970s, and to plates such as LIR ... or KLI...

thanks.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,585 ✭✭✭jca

unfit2006 wrote: »
    Hi,

could anyone confirm whether the low numbers (under 250) after each county prefix were held back by the motortax office for

A. Special order
    B. Imported vehicles.

I am referring in particular to the early 1970s, and to plates such as LIR ... or KLI...

thanks.

Not that I know of, not in Wexford anyway, both AMI onwards and AZR onwards started at 1. My fathers 1950 Speedtwin was re-registered in 1976 and the number allocated was over 600 so by that reasoning lower numbers weren't held back for imports they were just given the next number in the sequence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,917 ✭✭✭red sean

Wasn't the case in Sligo (EI) either.
    However, if you knew someone working in the car tax office, you could get a favourite number 'pencilled in' until you were ready.
    eg. If you wanted @EI 500 and the register was only at 250 when you collected your new car, then you stuck "FOR REG" on it until 499 had just been issued and ran in and got 500! Under the counter practice of course, but it went on!

Same would have happened for lower numbers, particularly 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

Not usually, the practice of withholding numbers seems to be a relatively modern thing.
    Some batches were held back for bus companies and the like alright.

Advertisement