Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Playstation media centre help

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭

Hi guys,

Hoping someone can help me out. I've been using a number of different devices to play content from my NAS to my TV. Appletv2 was there, more recent times has been a Raspberry PI, but they both have finicky problems and issues.

So I heard that "PLaystation media centre" was a really good tool that I could use on my PS3 to stream content from my NAS to the TV. Added benefit of the bluray player being down with the main TV.

So I installed PSMedia centre onto my main PC( The plan is to have it on a laptop I have on 24/7 managing downloads) and when the PS3 was upstairs, and I hardwired it, it worked fine.

But since I moved the PS3 downstairs, and cabled with ethernet, I cant get PSmedia centre to recognise the PS3 as the renderer for love nor money.

I've assigned the PS3 with a static IP
    I've forced the IP address' in PSmedia centre with both my PC's ip and the PS3 ip
    I've disbaled firewalls to beat the band

Typical with me, something that should be easy, is not. Was working fine upstairs, move downstairs and cant get it working.

Anyone have any experience with playstation media centre that could help me with this?

Alternatively if there is applications that are much better or smoother, would happily go with them. XBMC on appletv2 and raspberry pi were simply too unstable, and sick of having issues when I just want to sit down and watch a movie or tv show.

Longterm plan is to build a HTCP machine to do it all, but for now exploring different options in the house.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

You are telling PS3 Media Centre to play to your PS3?

It'd be easier to have some DLNA software on your laptop, then let the PS3 browse through it. Should display automatically on the XMB under the Videos / Music menus.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,137 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

You are telling PS3 Media Centre to play to your PS3?

It'd be easier to have some DLNA software on your laptop, then let the PS3 browse through it. Should display automatically on the XMB under the Videos / Music menus.

any setup video I've seen of MEdia centre, is that it should just pickup the PS3 are a renderer. I've a lot of **** on my network, so at first it was picking up Windows media player on other servers in the house. Pain in the dick. I specifically outlined it to use my laptop as the content server( you specificy this IP in settings of the application) and then I specified the PS3 IP in the whitelist box, also in media centers settings.

What software can run of the laptop to make this easier? Anything specific you know off?

My NAS has upnp and is recognized by the PS3, but the problem is that it can't play a lot of the content. It says "unsupported data", so I doubt any DNLA software is going to help. The benefit of playstation media centre is it transcodes on the fly to a playable format with little to no downtime.

Obviously I'm raising eyebrows at how poor the Ps3 (and Xbox360 by extension) are when it comes to dealing with NAS devices, and just having a sort of media centre operating out of the console.

A credit card sized pc for €30 did it reasonably well, expected a beefy machine like a PS3 to do this with no hassle.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I'm using Serviio now, but have used PS3 Media Server in the past. After installing, all I needed to do was select my media directories. I never needed to select a renderer/client or configure one. I just stopped using it because I found it slow and needed to restart the service a lot.

When I mentioned browse earlier, it wasn't that you connect to the shares your media is on directly, like a file manager. You'd of needed to do it through PS3 media Server.

But since you mentioned you've got stuff coming up for other media players on your network, I think that may be an issue. I recall the PS3 on being able to connect to 1 hosted DNLA/UPnP service.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,830 ✭✭✭✭Taltos

What about plex?

Personally I have given up on all of this as I have a few different networks and if they are not on the same network and antivirus disabled nothing works anymore. :(

I'm using Serviio now, but have used PS3 Media Server in the past. After installing, all I needed to do was select my media directories. I never needed to select a renderer/client or configure one. I just stopped using it because I found it slow and needed to restart the service a lot.

When I mentioned browse earlier, it wasn't that you connect to the shares your media is on directly, like a file manager. You'd of needed to do it through PS3 media Server.

But since you mentioned you've got stuff coming up for other media players on your network, I think that may be an issue. I recall the PS3 on being able to connect to 1 hosted DNLA/UPnP service.

Nothing happening with Serviio there, wont recognise the ps3.

• Advertisement

Taltos wrote: »
    What about plex?

Personally I have given up on all of this as I have a few different networks and if they are not on the same network and antivirus disabled nothing works anymore. :(

Havnt tried plex.

It's so annoying, every bloody setup guide makes out how easy it is. Everything is cabled by ethernet in the house,and it all worked fine until I mvoed the PS3 downstairs :(

TheDoc wrote: »
    Nothing happening with Serviio there, wont recognise the ps3.

I never bother with looking at the client lists.

What's happening with your PS3 when serviio is installed on the laptop. Does it show under the music / video menus on the XMB?

You may need to wait a minute for it to be displayed.

I never bother with looking at the client lists.

What's happening with your PS3 when serviio is installed on the laptop. Does it show under the music / video menus on the XMB?

You may need to wait a minute for it to be displayed.

absolutely nothing is happening. Serviio isn't showing up ANYTHING where it should display an IP address and renderer.

On my PS3 it only recognises my NAS, which has DNLA functionality, but the PS3 cant seem to play any of the files.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,577 ✭✭✭✭Riesen_Meal

TheDoc wrote: »
    absolutely nothing is happening. Serviio isn't showing up ANYTHING where it should display an IP address and renderer.

On my PS3 it only recognises my NAS, which has DNLA functionality, but the PS3 cant seem to play any of the files.

Did the PS3 happen to change IP when you moved it downstairs?

Are you connected directly or a home plug or something?

Fieldog wrote: »
    Did the PS3 happen to change IP when you moved it downstairs?

Are you connected directly or a home plug or something?

I put in a static IP, then also reverted back to DHCP.

Everything is ethernet connected. Although my PC upstairs connects to a switch, which connects via homeplugs downstairs, and then PS3 is cabled directly into the router, with the homeplug ethernet cable

When it was working fine upstairs, PC and PS3 were connecting into a Switch going into the homeplug into the wall.

I think you might have given me a possible cause to the problem here....

• Advertisement
Advertisement