Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling items online to the USA and Japan/Korea

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 691 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I've a question regarding selling clothing online.

Since these countries are outside the EU no VAT applies.
    From what I can read on various government websites we don't have to pay any export duties.

But to send the item do we need to attach some special customs clearance document/cert?

I rang AEP Accounts and the person I spoke with said they 'weren't really sure'.

Can anybody with experience of the process advise?
    If selling outside the EU involves a lot of administration it may not be worthwhile.

I'd appreciate any insights you can share on this.
    Briando

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭RUDOLF289

Briando wrote: »
    Hi,

I've a question regarding selling clothing online.

Since these countries are outside the EU no VAT applies.
    From what I can read on various government websites we don't have to pay any export duties.

But to send the item do we need to attach some special customs clearance document/cert?

I rang AEP Accounts and the person I spoke with said they 'weren't really sure'.

Can anybody with experience of the process advise?
    If selling outside the EU involves a lot of administration it may not be worthwhile.

I'd appreciate any insights you can share on this.
    Briando

Good morning Briando,

all exports of goods to countries outside the EU are zero rated from a VAT point of view.

Depending on the transportation service you use, normally the carrier arranges the export formalities. They would probably ask you to sign an authorisation so they can act on your behalf with customs, they need your VAT registration details and the customs tariff number for the product(s) you are exporting.

You may need to take into consideration that the importer in the USA or Japan/Korea has to pay duty and local sales taxes. It therefore is important that you clarify this from the outset, i.e. that your terms of sales are Delivered Duty Unpaid (DDU).

Hope this helps

Cheers,
    Rudolf289

Advertisement