Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Is this a bargain for 100kg weights plus the olympic bar?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:49am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭

basically on argos are doing half price on their olympic set 100kg including bar for €130 should i get it or not?

I just want to be sure let me know ye'r opinions

83kg + 17kg Olympic Bar Worth The Price For €130? 9 votes

Yes I Would Buy
    0% 0 votes
    No I Wouldn't Buy
    100% 9 votes

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,624 ✭✭✭✭Alf Veedersane

Link?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,382 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

http://www.argos.ie/static/Product/partNumber/3358278/Trail/searchtext%3E100KG.htm

surprisingly cheap, maybe genuinely looking to get rid of stock. Before searching I was expecting it to be a vinyl oly sets, as some of their other vinyl sets are now black and look like cast iron at first.
    Additional Information

* Please note item 3358278 has previously been on sale at €189.99.

Current selling price valid until 16/01/2015

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

thanks i couldnt post links because im a new member so should i get it or is it a rip off?

Looks a lot better than I thought it would, to be fair.

The bar is just shy of 7' 2", it's 25mm and the bar is 17kg.

Doesn't look like a rip-off anyway

What price if you had to re sell it would people buy it for easily?

• Advertisement

What price would you buy it for if you saw it available for second hand?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Sold out it appears

Sold out it appears

Its home delivery only. I tried Ilac centre and it was showing as available to order for home delivery.

Seems its €10 for delivery within dublin and €18 elsewhere

do chrome weights last long or?

The chrome is just the plating on the bar.

The plates are cast iron. And they last.

• Advertisement

The chrome is just the plating on the bar.

The plates are cast iron. And they last.

Are you talking about the ones for sale with argos?

Are you talking about the ones for sale with argos?

Must....resist....

Yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

17kg for a bar is a bit odd, no?

.ak wrote: »

well idk lol i have a standard bar and it weighs 9kg odd too :confused:

Well, 17 is an odd number.

I am guessing the 17kg came from totting up the plate weights (83kg) and taking away from 100kg. Unless you did read it was definitely 17kg.

Sometimes the kit weights are estimates.

Guys were discussing the kit here
    http://www.uk-muscle.co.uk/equipment/255003-maximuscle-olympic-weights-bar.html

I see this comment
    The argos one is not an oly bar mate.
    dunno if that would mean weight, bar thickness, or something about the sleeves where the plates slot on.

You might actually get the same money for it, if its not on sale in argos any more. You could check adverts.ie for old ads to see what they sell for.

Your poll question is "83kg + 17kg Olympic Bar Worth The Price For €130?"

I would have stuck to yes/no answers -most people will probably answer that way anways, but the problem with forcing a "yes I would buy" answer is many here are seriously into lifting and so would buy a higher quality bar. I voted yes, as in yes its a good bargain. I would be interested to hear why the person who voted no did so -as it might not matter to you.

It is certainly a genuinely good deal, nobody could call it a ripoff even if the bar was poor. The plates bought separately with no bar would cost a lot more than €130 on irish lifting.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/olympic-iron-plates-pe-240.html

rubadub wrote: »
    You might actually get the same money for it, if its not on sale in argos any more. You could check adverts.ie for old ads to see what they sell for.

Your poll question is "83kg + 17kg Olympic Bar Worth The Price For €130?"

I would have stuck to yes/no answers -most people will probably answer that way anways, but the problem with forcing a "yes I would buy" answer is many here are seriously into lifting and so would buy a higher quality bar. I voted yes, as in yes its a good bargain. I would be interested to hear why the person who voted no did so -as it might not matter to you.

It is certainly a genuinely good deal, nobody could call it a ripoff even if the bar was poor. The plates bought separately with no bar would cost a lot more than €130 on irish lifting.

http://www.irish-lifting.com/olympic-iron-plates-pe-240.html

Yh i'm just an ordinary weightlifter not a serious one either so yh thanks for your opinion not looking for some serious quality bars that will hold 150kg+ or anything just to get a nice physique :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 274 ✭✭neil_

I weighed all the olympic bars in my gym a while ago and they were all around 17 or 18kg. The scales showed my bodyweight correctly so I have no reason to believe it would be innacurate. It's possible that all the metal and grease that have been ground out of the bearings, missing endcaps, and random scratches and dents could have added up to 2kg though..

• Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭.ak

I thought all Olympic bars were supposed to be 20kg no?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,622 ✭✭✭Thud

There is some Q&A on the uk argos site:

http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1493-en_gb/product/3358278/questions.htm

This one doesn't look right though, sleeves look like they are 2inches not 2.5cm (diameter of actual bar), York spinlock plates are usually 2.5cm:
    the bar 2.5 cm in diameter (so that it can hold york weights too)?

Answer(s)

Hello, thank you for your question.

I have spoken with the manufacturer about the Maximuscle 100kg Olympic Weight Set and I can confirm this is a 2.5cm diameter bar and is ideal with York spinlock dumbbell handles and York 5ft barbell.

Thank you for using Q & A.

it could probably do a job, would be better than the vinyl sets but seemingly bar won't hold more than the original weights so you would be limited and would question the quality of a bar that can only hold 83kg

Thud wrote: »
    There is some Q&A on the uk argos site:

http://answers.argos.co.uk/answers/1493-en_gb/product/3358278/questions.htm

This one doesn't look right though, sleeves look like they are 2inches not 2.5cm (diameter of actual bar), York spinlock plates are usually 2.5cm:

it could probably do a job, would be better than the vinyl sets but seemingly bar won't hold more than the original weights so you would be limited and would question the quality of a bar that can only hold 83kg
    I was actually surprised it could only take 100kg max :/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

I thought all Olympic bars were supposed to be 20kg no?

A good quality well made bar will be 20kg. Most bars you see at this price tend to leave a lot to be desired in terms of quality. They tend to be cheap mass produced stuff from China.

The starting price for a good quality bar would be €200-300. The one place I would never recommend saving money on is the the bar. Cheap bars bend easily, have terrible knurling and just feel bad. A good quality bar will last years if looked after and not abused.

Just found out on fitness superstore are selling an 85kg olympic tri set with an 15kg bar which can hold 320kg? Absolute Madness :L

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/olympic_tri_grip_iron_weight_sets/bodypower_85kg_trigrip_olympic_weight_set_6ft_bar/12594_p.html

• Registered Users Posts: 1,468 ✭✭✭DylanJM

Just found out on fitness superstore are selling an 85kg olympic tri set with an 15kg bar which can hold 320kg? Absolute Madness :L

http://www.fitness-superstore.co.uk/olympic_tri_grip_iron_weight_sets/bodypower_85kg_trigrip_olympic_weight_set_6ft_bar/12594_p.html

I wouldn't trust those ratings at all. The most important thing you want to know is the tensile strength of the steel used. It's usually noted down in psi.
    They don't usually publish this figure with cheap bars because they tend to have lower tensile strengths, say 80,000-120,00psi. The minimum you would want to look for is 150,000psi and ideally 180,000+ psi.

DylanJM wrote: »
    I wouldn't trust those ratings at all.
    esp. as its some random lad in argos saying it, I would like to see the exact questions and answers he had with the manufacturer.

It is easier to just give a really low rating if asked, to cover your ass. Its not like the bar will snap if 105kg is on it.

I have had 100kg+ on hollow bars, I think rated for 40kg, they did being to bend & flex though, but I have had ~140kg on a bog standard solid barbell, not olympic, and there was not a bother on it.

As I said before, even if there was no barbell in this set the plates are still relatively quite cheap. If you progressed to greater weights you could get a new bar and either sell this one or keep it for warmups & general lower weight exercises. I got my solid bar after the hollow one was flexing, and still use the hollow one.

• Registered Users Posts: 801 ✭✭✭puntosporting

For the average user a 17kg cheap olympic bar is fine i dont think you realy need to be worrying about bar quality untill your getting into serious powerlifting territory!

2 no's in the poll with no comments why they voted this way. If people know of a better deal at least let the OP know too...

rubadub wrote: »
    2 no's in the poll with no comments why they voted this way. If people know of a better deal at least let the OP know too...

ah sure look at da now argos are out of stock what the hell lads :(

• Advertisement
Advertisement