Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

'Monument' bar in Skerries

Options
  • 20-08-2014 11:24am
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

I see it is getting a refit with a view to opening again. Any idea who is behind it or what type of premises is planned? Chatted to one of the builders but he didn't know a whole lot.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

I'm guessing that the staff in the Bus Bar opposite will know the story, so if you're in there for a lemonade they'll be able to tell you.

Funny place Skerries. Every parking spot in town taken by the yummy mummies by 10am every day, but they don't appear to spend much in the shops. Or maybe the local rents and rates are too high. Huge turnover of new shops every year.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,775 ✭✭✭✭The Hill Billy

I don't know where you are getting your "huge turnover of new shops" - most of the places are well established.

If you want to discuss - start a new thread, this one is about the bar by the monument.

tHB

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭SPAWKER

Monument bar ? You mean "The Good auld Dublin Bar":D

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Hope this doesn't count as dragging up an old thread but work is ongoing in the 'Dublin Bar' :)

Looks like its going to be a bar/bistro. It was mentioned that the owners of the Slaughtered Lamb have taken it over. Nice to see a new business open up. More the merrier.

There was something about it in the Skerries News. Bistro-style spot iirc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,014 ✭✭✭shaungil

The Tavern 2

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

Going to be called the Salty Dog - paper in the window says so

• Registered Users Posts: 41 marcoz

I believe it's a bar and bistro. Definitely not the owners of Slaughtered Lamb. Think the couple who own this new place worked in Slaughterd Lamb. Recognise their faces. They're pretty tuned in. They've been in the bar game years. More choice for Skerries. More the merrier

• Registered Users Posts: 869 ✭✭✭cbreeze

marcoz wrote: »
    I believe it's a bar and bistro. Definitely not the owners of Slaughtered Lamb. Think the couple who own this new place worked in Slaughterd Lamb. Recognise their faces. They're pretty tuned in. They've been in the bar game years. More choice for Skerries. More the merrier

its open now and cant take credit cards yet - they don't have the menu up on the window yet so you can't check it out in advance - I expect it will soon.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,724 ✭✭✭kennyb3

Menu was on facebook the other day and they ve a website too

• Advertisement

Just had a look at the menu. Not sure what to make of it to be honest. Very 'samey' compared to other places in the town is my first thought. Must give it a shot soon though.

• Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭yknaa

Popped in for a drink. Nice friendly staff. Bit dark I thought but probably something that can be changed easily enough. Nice selection of beers and wines. Didn't spot a tv and had piped music playing.

I hope to give it a shot this Friday. I passed by at the weekend & the signage looks a bit garish tbh. I hope the beer has better taste. :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 173 ✭✭Sparky84

Latest update Guinness €4.80

€4.80 for a pint of stout? I'll just be going in for the one so.

I popped in for a cheeky pint last night. It was very quiet. They have a few craft brews on tap which was nice to see. I treated myself to a pint of Black Donkey which went down nice. But I'm not sure if there's a big market in Skerries for craft ales at €5.40 a pint & €5.80 for a craft cider. They may need to reconsider their pricing strategy while they build up a customer base.

Right now I'd imagine that prospective punters would look at a fairly empty bar, see the prices & think "Ah, sure I go across to the Bus Bar or over to Nealon's. There'll be a bit of a crowd & the pints are cheaper."

I wish them well though. It has potential.

Advertisement