Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best mobile provider international rates/plans?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 11:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 174 ✭✭

I'm not sure if Vodafone can be beat with this. I am on a thirty day rolling contract w/400 minutes with those minutes being international all for under €50 a month. Does anyone know if any other providers have inter national minutes included in their plans? I've checked and I don't think there is but wanted to be sure before I signed back up with Vodafone for another 12 months. I would be spending probably 300 minutes a month on international calls so would need to take that into account when checking rates with the other providers.

Thanks,

GG

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,394 ✭✭✭Sheldons Brain

The likes of Tesco/Lycramobile charge as little as 2c/3c per minute to some destinations. €50 would give you 1500 of those minutes without any contract of any sort.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Definitely not Meteor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,019 ✭✭✭ct5amr2ig1nfhp

What about a VOIP provider. Or Skype etc. Could be an alternative. Although you would need a data package obviously.

What about a VOIP provider. Or Skype etc. Could be an alternative. Although you would need a data package obviously.

The data plans are where the companies are cleaning up. People are using whatsapp and other apps to cut down on costs so the providers are doing "deals" like 10MB a day for 99c per day and anything over that is charged at a premium. Premium with a capital $$$.

On a recent trip to the US, Meteor gave me a 200MB allowance for only 50 euro. But they didnt tell me when I went over that allowance, so I have a bill of 240 quid to pay. I was there for 4 days.

A little surprised by your post syklops.

Cleaning up? An ounce of research before agreeing to a tariff, be it a bill pay or PAYG can get you a good deal.
    For example, you can get 1GB plus 300 mobile mins (any network), All texts (any network), 60 landline mins for EUR 10. I really don't think that's "cleaning up". That's with 48months.ie

1GB of data is plenty for international calls on a VOIP provider. At the higher end codec on a network, you'd use about 50mb per hour on a voice call. So plenty of data included.

Have a read through the IrelandOffline forum. You'll see that most networks make very little if anything from data traffic. Voice and SMS is where networks make most of their profits.

A little off topic now...
    A roaming allowance has nothing to do with the OPs question. So the information is irrelevant. Btw, you should think about moving provider if it's costing you that much. eMobile do a 200MB US add-on for EUR 20.

They also do an unlimited plan for 35 EUR, unlimited calls (mob + landline), all texts, 15GB. And this is on a 30-day contract. available to non-eircom customers.
    For me, I pay a little extra at 43 EUR/month and unlimited everything (in Ireland) and all roaming calls in EU and US included. Also 250MB data roaming included.
    syklops wrote: »
    The data plans are where the companies are cleaning up. People are using whatsapp and other apps to cut down on costs so the providers are doing "deals" like 10MB a day for 99c per day and anything over that is charged at a premium. Premium with a capital $$$.

On a recent trip to the US, Meteor gave me a 200MB allowance for only 50 euro. But they didnt tell me when I went over that allowance, so I have a bill of 240 quid to pay. I was there for 4 days.

• Advertisement

You'll see that most networks make very little if anything from data traffic

I'll need some proof of that before I believe it.

I'll not list the various reports over on the Ireland offline forum. If and when you want to read them, they are available there. A long with a lot more information from the likes of Watty et al.
    syklops wrote: »
    I'll need some proof of that before I believe it.

Advertisement