Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

One plus one owners thread

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭daytob

The one thing that driving me mad with this fantastic phone is anytime I'm writing in apps I keep hitting the home button below the space bar of the keyboard. Anyway to solve this apart from grinding down my big thumbs on a grinding wheel? :)
    there is an app called fatfingers it might help.
    * not slagging you or anything ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 34,111 ✭✭✭✭listermint

The one thing that driving me mad with this fantastic phone is anytime I'm writing in apps I keep hitting the home button below the space bar of the keyboard. Anyway to solve this apart from grinding down my big thumbs on a grinding wheel? :)

You can choose to have onscreen or off screen home key. Choose one that works best for you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 209 ✭✭frostypants

Thanks guys

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,728 ✭✭✭Irish Gunner

Ok phone rooted and unlocked

Running version 4.4.4 and looking to install a custom Rom. Seen a few over in XDA anyone recommend one?

Cheers

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

Can anyone explain the benefits of Rooting and unlocking?
    I did it years ago but in recent times the stock roms are good enough so I've never bothered. What's the main reason fro rooting a OnePlus. Is it hard?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,072 ✭✭✭mass_debater

Zascar wrote: »
    Can anyone explain the benefits of Rooting and unlocking?
    I did it years ago but in recent times the stock roms are good enough so I've never bothered. What's the main reason fro rooting a OnePlus. Is it hard?

Backups. I've had a Nexus 5 on stock and the only drawback of not rooting was backups although with Helium you can backup without root but I had trouble with restoring previously backed up apps with Helium. I'll be rooting my OPO as soon as it arrives for this reason
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/guide-oneplus-one-how-to-unlock-bootloader-install-custom-recovery-and-root.64487/

For anyone struggling to install any app or what. I used to have twlight app installed on my phone
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.urbandroid.lux&hl=en
    came recommended somewhere, maybe the essential apps thread. Anywho occasionally found that some apps wouldnt install. no biggie, most werent apps that were important. But I found the oppo camera app not being able to install either. Searched online and found that if you have a screen app or something that affects the screen, that might be causing why apps wouldnt install. I dunno if its android based or just 1+1 based. Anyways a quick un-install of twlight and robert was my fathers brother in law. Just in case anyone is struggling to get certain apps installing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,309 ✭✭✭✭wotzgoingon

daytob wrote: »
    robert was my fathers brother in law..

And Bob's your uncle...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

Any ETA on lollipop?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

So we should be getting cm12 pushed out ota tomorrow. We will see!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

So we should be getting cm12 pushed out ota tomorrow. We will see!

Didn't they said it will probably be delayed the other day.

Lucas Hood wrote: »
    Didn't they said it will probably be delayed the other day.

I thought that was OxygenOS

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,748 ✭✭✭✭Lovely Bloke

Basq wrote: »
    Not sure if anyone is interested.. but bought this Casebase Twin Pack of Case Tempered Glass Protectors, but put the first one on pretty seamlessly (due to waiting to receive the glass protector to take off the shield on the OnePlus One... yeah, nerdy I know).

So have a spare one including an alcohol wipe and cloth that I'll post for a tenner all in. It is a fantastic glass protector.

why don't you keep it, I ordered that set also, but was lucky I did, my then 8 month old threw the phone on the tiled floor and the tempered glass did an admirable job protecting the screen, but it itself cracked - so I was glad to have a second one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone know when the official power bank is due to be released?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,535 ✭✭✭EagererBeaver

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone else come across this problem with Google Maps?

Search for a location, and you tap for walking directions and then the app crashes :confused:

Only way around it is to use the web version. Very annoying.

Also can't seem to upload video on Instagram, again - crashes the app.

Any way to fix? I'm on the latest update / not rooted.

Just checked both of these and working without a hitch. Stock as well.

Google Play Services has been crashing on me a good bit in the last few days.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

I thought that was OxygenOS

Can anyone explain this a bit better to us newcomers? So I just got a OnePlus and its running Cyanogenmod 11 - which is based on Android 4.4.4. But we are waiting on a new OS based on Android 5.0 Will this be Cyanogenmod or Oxygen OS? What exactly is the difference?

I heard OnePlus have broken ties with Cyanogenmod and are now going with a new OS, Oxygen OS. Why did they ditch Cyanogenmod - and what's Oxygen going to be like?

Am I right in saying that you will still be bale to install Cyanogenmod 12 onto the OnePlus once its available - you just wont get an Over the Air update. Is this correct?

When are they both now expected? Days, weeks, months?

One plus have not broken ties with cm at all.

Can anyone explain this a bit better to us newcomers? So I just got a OnePlus and its running Cyanogenmod 11 - which is based on Android 4.4.4. But we are waiting on a new OS based on Android 5.0 Will this be Cyanogenmod or Oxygen OS? What exactly is the difference?

I heard OnePlus have broken ties with Cyanogenmod and are now going with a new OS, Oxygen OS. Why did they ditch Cyanogenmod - and what's Oxygen going to be like?

Am I right in saying that you will still be bale to install Cyanogenmod 12 onto the OnePlus once its available - you just wont get an Over the Air update. Is this correct?

When are they both now expected? Days, weeks, months?

Cyanogen signed an exclusivity deal with another manufacturer in India, making it a legal nightmare for OnePlus to distribute the One there.

As a response, OnePlus are developing their own OS based on Android 5.0, the aforementioned Oxygen. Little is known about it but by all accounts the development team they have on it are highly thought of.

Cyanogenmod 12, also based on 5.0 is already available and can be side loaded. 12S, the version optimised for the One is in the works.

Both were expected/confirmed to be available by now so it *shouldn't* be too much longer.

Delivery method for both is also a mystery but there has been some suggestion that both might have to be side loaded.

Ok that's what I heard - but there was some controvery/issues yet? So what's the deal and why are they moving to OxygenOS?

Ok that's what I heard - but there was some controvery/issues yet? So what's the deal and why are they moving to OxygenOS?

Because of the above. There's been a breakdown in the relationship over what happened in India so OnePlus took the decision to go a different route and develop their own OS.

• Advertisement

One plus don't even want people to switch to oxygen when it comes out.

You can install which ever one you want(most likely manually) 12 and when released 12s and oxygen.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,330 ✭✭✭Gran Hermano

OnePlus originally partnered up with Cyanogen to provide the software side.
    When OnePlus launched in India some months back they had to cancel the launch and pull product as it was discovered Cyanogen had a prior exclusivity contract with another hardware manufacturer for India. Needless to say the other hardware manufacturer was not happy with OnePlus encroaching on their turf. OnePlus werent happy and decided to take direct control of what software they were running on their hardware. They set up their own team to dvekop Oxygen OS. They recruited most of the team from http://paranoidandroid.co Have a look at their past work and know that Oxygen is also said to be close to stock and vanilla android.

Both Oxygen and CM have new versions for release for the OPO.
    CM12 should be further development of the exisiting CM11. I'd expect it to be stable but nothing too new and exciting. I also expect it to be the last OTA for CM on the OPO. Oxygen OS is somewhat of a gamble. I see it as the future of development and support from OnePlus. Hopefully it'll be easy to switch manually from CM and automatically continue to receive future Oxygen OTA updates.

I'll hold fire and install any CM OTA updates whilst keeping an eye on Oxygens release and wait for any teething bugs to resolve before jumping across.

Keep an eye on the official oneplus forum. Login with the account you bought the phone on.

Excellent explanation - thanks! When are these released due does anyone know roughly?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Seems to be draining all my credit :confused:

I had only 3.50 this morning and by the time I walked from the house (so left my wifi) to the train station that was all gone

I did a Vodafone IOU for 4 euro and I see it going, going and I'd say it'll be gone before I leave work.

I have 5gb from vodafone bought just last week. I know I have location on and maybe some stuff in the background but it should be using my data for that, not my credit :(

mikemac1 wrote: »
    Seems to be draining all my credit :confused:

I had only 3.50 this morning and by the time I walked from the house (so left my wifi) to the train station that was all gone

I did a Vodafone IOU for 4 euro and I see it going, going and I'd say it'll be gone before I leave work.

I have 5gb from vodafone bought just last week. I know I have location on and maybe some stuff in the background but it should be using my data for that, not my credit :(

Sounds like you have the wrong APN settings. What provider are you with.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

found a previous post and the poster was told to update the access point to

live.vodafone.com

Did that just now and seems to be fixed :)

Excellent explanation - thanks! When are these released due does anyone know roughly?

First post here, OnePlus staff updating OxygenOS status in first post on thread.
    https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/an-update-on-oxygenos.285917/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭iggy

Tempted to root mainly for ad blocker and to try sort out the low call volume which hopefully will be sorted in cm12 or oxygen.
    I take it my Sky Go app won't work if I root?
    Was looking at the bacon toolkit to unlock bootlader, root etc. Looks easy enough.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,049 ✭✭✭gazzer

Mr.S wrote: »
    Anyone else come across this problem with Google Maps?

Search for a location, and you tap for walking directions and then the app crashes :confused:

Only way around it is to use the web version. Very annoying.

Also can't seem to upload video on Instagram, again - crashes the app.

Any way to fix? I'm on the latest update / not rooted.

I am having the exact same issue with Google Maps

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

sugarman wrote: »
    Anyone having issues with the twitter app? Just keeps crashing on me every time i open it.

Try clearing the cache for that app. In settings, go to apps, select twitter and then should be a clear cache button. Then restart the app.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,803 ✭✭✭Benzino

gazzer wrote: »
    I am having the exact same issue with Google Maps

Seems to be working fine for me, perhaps try clearing the cache for it also.

I have a couple of quick questions around changing settings around:

1. Can I change it so the buttons at the bottom are always lit up when the screen is on?
    2. Holding the left button gets me into multitasking. Pushing gives me Options. Is it possible to reverse these two?
    3. For the pull down menu, the left side gives notifications and the right side quick settings - can these be swapped?
    4. I find often the Voice search does not work. It beeps but seems to be happening behind whatever app I'm on - usually facebook messenger - but never actually does anything. Anyone else find this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,273 ✭✭✭CantGetNoSleep

Anyone have screen protector and non-flip case recommendations? Got one from eBay but it was broken when it arrived.

I have a couple of quick questions around changing settings around:

1. Can I change it so the buttons at the bottom are always lit up when the screen is on?
    2. Holding the left button gets me into multitasking. Pushing gives me Options. Is it possible to reverse these two?
    3. For the pull down menu, the left side gives notifications and the right side quick settings - can these be swapped?
    4. I find often the Voice search does not work. It beeps but seems to be happening behind whatever app I'm on - usually facebook messenger - but never actually does anything. Anyone else find this?

1) Yes. Settings > Buttons > Backlight. Adjust slider all the way up to "don't turn off".

2) Yes. Settings > Buttons, scroll down to bottom for customisation options for each button

3) Yes. Settings > Notification drawer > Quick settings panel.

Nice one cheers!

UPDATE 3/31
    Unfortunately, CM12 won't be OTAing today due to certification issues as well. All parties are working together to resolve the problems as soon as possible. I understand the frustration and we will definitely be more careful with our ETAs in the future.

https://forums.oneplus.net/threads/an-update-on-oxygenos-and-cm12.285917/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

Bought this. I think its a lot nicer than the Tudia or Diztronic. Didn't need that much protection, and didn't like the way they covered the buttons and speakers. Should have it in a week or two. Anyone else have it?

61Kie6izpzL._SL1001_.jpg
    51-BoL3N9lL._SL1001_.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,391 ✭✭✭jozi

I have the same one and have had similar ones for previous phones to. I like that it doesn't add much bulk, maybe not as much protection as some other covered but never had an issue.

Hope you didn't pay more than a few quid for it!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,076 ✭✭✭safetyboy

This is getting beyond a joke, might try the nightlies

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Have a similar cover to the above and love it. Feels like the little bumps really help wth grip.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,875 ✭✭✭deadanonymau5

jozi wrote: »
    I have the same one and have had similar ones for previous phones to. I like that it doesn't add much bulk, maybe not as much protection as some other covered but never had an issue.

Hope you didn't pay more than a few quid for it!

7.50 GBP on Amazon :(
    Where did you get yours and how much did you pay?
    naughtb4 wrote: »
    Have a similar cover to the above and love it. Feels like the little bumps really help wth grip.

Did you get it off Amazon?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

7.50 GBP on Amazon :(
    Where did you get yours and how much did you pay?

Did you get it off Amazon?

Bought my phone second hand and it came with it

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Nillkin-Frosted-Shield-Matte-Hard-Cover-Case-Shell-Film-For-OnePlus-One-/221468406811?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&var=&hash=item33908bb41b but from China

I think I got mine of aliexpress or somewhere similar (or ebay), came from China anyway and is probably fake.

At least you didn't pay 30+ for it from one of the sites I remember finding!

safetyboy wrote: »
    This is getting beyond a joke, might try the nightlies

I don't know what the big deal is tbh, everyday people miss dealines. They are relatively new to it and I guess they under estimated a few variables.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭theroomisonfire

They are persistently missing deadlines. Originally told us that we would have Android L 3 months after official launch. Terrible management.

jozi wrote: »
    I don't know what the big deal is tbh, everyday people miss dealines. They are relatively new to it and I guess they under estimated a few variables.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,529 ✭✭✭irishgeo

They are persistently missing deadlines. Originally told us that we would have Android L 3 months after official launch. Terrible management.

indeed but the certification with google seems to be the issue now.

while they have messed up, fledgling company etc, can you tell me how much more phone companies were able to get it within the 3 months they all said? Afaik I know htc didnt.
    Also they said its a certification issue from google. So it might be out of their hands

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,865 ✭✭✭✭MuppetCheck

Quick one, im on the CM nightlies. Would it just be a case of doing a wipe and install through the recovery when the official CM12 is released to try it out?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,889 ✭✭✭SteM

Bought this. I think its a lot nicer than the Tudia or Diztronic. Didn't need that much protection, and didn't like the way they covered the buttons and speakers. Should have it in a week or two. Anyone else have it?

I have this one, it makes the phone really slippy in the hand. Not that gone on it to be honest.

• Advertisement
Advertisement