Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Microsoft Office

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi Guys,
    Im starting in LM050 Business course this year and I just bought a new laptop. I need to buy Microsoft Office for this laptop and am wondering which version is best suited. Is Home and Student enough? (only contains, word, excel, powerpoint and one note). Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

Home and Student is fine for college use. Here's some info UL have on software purchasing: http://www2.ul.ie/web/WWW/Services/Information_Technology_Division/Student_Computing/Software_for_Home_Use

• Registered Users Posts: 831 ✭✭✭daingeanrob

my advice is to wait untill you start college, there will be alot of offers in ul and on educational websites then. software 4 students.ie is good and gives a great education discount but you will need a student number as far as i remember.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,553 ✭✭✭✭Copper_pipe

Could always use openoffice

• Registered Users Posts: 4 AMcGowan

Thanks. Im just wondering because Home and Student 2013 does not contain outlook, access or publisher

• Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

When I was a student in ul you could borrow office for free from the library and install it. They may still does this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 739 ✭✭✭TheScoringGoal

When I was a student in ul you could borrow office for free from the library and install it. They may still does this

• Registered Users Posts: 4 bcbrendan56

No need for office... use openoffice never had issues with it and its FREE!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,009 ✭✭✭✭wnolan1992

OpenOffice can be a complete whore when it comes to compatibility, which can be a problem on group projects. I've had major issues with Excel recently.

IMO, MS Office is one of the few remaining MS products which are worth the money if you can afford it. They're way nicer to use than OpenOffice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,652 ✭✭✭Chimaera

The newest releases of MS Office support OpenDocument formats now, so I can see compatibility being less of an issue in the future. But I agree it can be a pain in the arse.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 49 themerovingian

AMcGowan wrote: »
    Thanks. Im just wondering because Home and Student 2013 does not contain outlook, access or publisher

All you will need is excel,word and PowerPoint. You won't need Microsoft access unless you major in economics and you won't use it until 4th year anyway so plenty of time! Also just a tip when buying books, if you decide to buy them, check the student union for second hand books first it'll save you a nice bit of money but get up there as soon as you can because the course is huge normally the books go pretty quick!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,173 ✭✭✭1huge1

chrislad wrote: »

That is pretty damn impressive right there.

So much for what I was going to post.

Go for the deal in that link OP.

Speaking as someone who did Business Studies in UL. Microsoft Word, Excel and Powerpoint is all you will need yourself. Now I majored in economics and needed some extra software in 4th year for econometrics but that software was always available in the computer labs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,900 ✭✭✭Eire-Dearg

Just finished business and had to use Excel for one project and that was in my minor.

Either get a free version of something to write your essays on or find Office on PirateBay.

Advertisement