Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

College computer science

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

I'm not sure what I should do, I got offered software design level 8 in athlone & computing in applications & support level 6 in national college of Ireland, I really wanted to do computer science & software engineering through art in nuim but I'm 20 points off so I doubt I'll get offered it in round 2 so I really don't know what to do.. I'm afraid I won't like either of the courses I'm accepted into or that they'll be too indept because I like social media, web design & apps and I don't really know anything about programming .. I repeated my leaving cert this year and thought I knew what I wanted to do but now I'm just totally confused.. Would I seem like a fool repeating again or doing a plc course or if I did one of the courses I was offered or would I be able to transfer into another course in nuim like multimedia mobile & web development ? I didn't do any science subjects so would something like that be too difficult for me? Or should I look into digital media? Or even just doing arts in nuim & doing computer science as one of my 3 subjects? Any advice would be much appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

If you have enough points you an do a double arts degree (MH101) and take Computer science and maths and a another module as a third subject and if you pass all three you can transfer into second year CSSE (Computer science and software engineering). BTW if you can write HTML you can program.

• Registered Users Posts: 22 Alice___5

I have that on my cao for this year but I don't think it will go down by 20 points in round 2 , would I be best off waiting until next year and repeating again incase the points go up more and applying for an arts degree rather than going to national college of Ireland and doing the level 6 course?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

Alice___5 wrote: »
    I have that on my cao for this year but I don't think it will go down by 20 points in round 2 , would I be best off waiting until next year and repeating again incase the points go up more and applying for an arts degree rather than going to national college of Ireland and doing the level 6 course?
    I can tell you this, if you got a place in some university, it is relatively easy to transfer across courses if you show that you are not some dosser and that you genuinely study your ass off. If you will be able to show your hard work to a department and ask for a transfer, they will typically let you do it. All you need is get good results for assignments and tests and a good reference from lecturers and tutors (if you had any).

I can tell you this, if you got a place in some university, it is relatively easy to transfer across courses if you show that you are not some dosser and that you genuinely study your ass off. If you will be able to show your hard work to a department and ask for a transfer, they will typically let you do it. All you need is get good results for assignments and tests and a good reference from lecturers and tutors (if you had any).

If I got really good results in college, Would any of the courses that I got offered in my cao be good enough to transfer to any nuim computer science courses or would they be too different?

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭FatherlyNick

If I got really good results in college, Would any of the courses that I got offered in my cao be good enough to transfer to any nuim computer science courses or would they be too different?
    I was talking about internal college transfers not college A to college B transfers. I think that would be possible too, as long as your desired course will have room left. Usually there is some drop-out after first year, making more room in second year. My best advice to you is: get in touch with NUIM and tell them about your situation and ask if they would consider that.

• Advertisement

I was talking about internal college transfers not college A to college B transfers. I think that would be possible too, as long as your desired course will have room left. Usually there is some drop-out after first year, making more room in second year. My best advice to you is: get in touch with NUIM and tell them about your situation and ask if they would consider that.

Yeah I think I'll ring them and ask, I heard there's usually a few drop outs for that course so maybe I can get in that way if the courses aren't too different

• Registered Users Posts: 1,599 ✭✭✭BumbleB

Alice there's a million ways to get into university that doesn't involve the LC. At the end of the day the LC is just a piece of paper saying that you attained a certain standard. Are you really into Computer science because you its a difficult path.

I would forget about repeating your LC and dive into computer science.Talk to the department about it To contact Administrative staff you can phone (01) 708 3847 or email admin@cs.nuim.ie. They are really sound.

Yeah I'll try talk to them and see what they say, I've tried ringing a few times and I just got put through to voicemail so the lines are probably busy but I'll keep trying

Advertisement