Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning and Mortgage

Options
  • 20-08-2014 1:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭

Hi,

This might be a funny scenario but is it possible that I would get a mortgage for a self build on a site I own but the planning was granted to my girlfriend?

Basically I won't get enough funding as a dual application so I want to apply for a mortgage in my own name only. But the planning would be granted to my girlfriend?

I assume the bank wouldn't entertain that and would want a dual application? As she is currently not earning then the would reduce the possibly borrowings.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

This is probably better in the planning & construction forum, but I was under the impression that planning wasn't granted to an individual, but rather was tied to the site. Hence why people advertise sites with "FPP"

So I see no reason why you couldn't apply for the mortgage alone based on the fact that the planning permission has been granted on your site.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,879 ✭✭✭D3PO

heres a brainwave ......

reapply for planning in your name.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,818 ✭✭✭jlm29

My brother and his partner have a joint mortgage, which they got to renovate a house that was in his name only. I assume that if the house was in his name, it was him who applied for the planning.

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭aristotle25

D3PO wrote: »
    heres a brainwave ......

reapply for planning in your name.

Unfortunately in Kildare there is a strict "local needs" policy for one-off housing which I would not meet but my girlfriend would.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 RachelJean

Hi, I have been gifted a site in dublin city centre by my parents and intend to build a 3 bed house. Despite meeting all savings/repayments requirements comfortably, I've been refused a mortgage on the grounds that the planning permission is in my mothers name. It makes absolutely no sense as DCC have confirmed (in writing) that the planning permission applies to the land, not the person. If banks/building societies are refusing on these grounds, how would it work for people who do not already own the land and therefore intend to finance the purchase of site via a mortgage? You can't get planning permission in your name until you own the land and the banks won't give you finance unless pp is in your name so it's a catch 22. Very frustrating!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

Unfortunately in Kildare there is a strict "local needs" policy for one-off housing which I would not meet but my girlfriend would.

A test case was taken (against Wicklow Co. Co.) that went all the way to Europe. Wicklow Co. Co. lost the case. These 'local needs' stipulations- are illegal. If they have actually put such in writing- have a little chat with your solicitor- it could prove fruitful.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 32,285 Mod ✭✭✭✭The_Conductor

RachelJean wrote: »
    Hi, I have been gifted a site in dublin city centre by my parents and intend to build a 3 bed house. Despite meeting all savings/repayments requirements comfortably, I've been refused a mortgage on the grounds that the planning permission is in my mothers name. It makes absolutely no sense as DCC have confirmed (in writing) that the planning permission applies to the land, not the person. If banks/building societies are refusing on these grounds, how would it work for people who do not already own the land and therefore intend to finance the purchase of site via a mortgage? You can't get planning permission in your name until you own the land and the banks won't give you finance unless pp is in your name so it's a catch 22. Very frustrating!

Have your mum gift you the land. Providing its under the threshold- there is no tax liability (just transaction charges). Once you own the land- apply.

Lending institutions are playing by the rule book- which is what they should have done but failed to do, throughout the noughties.

Advertisement