Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hard Drive from NTFS-FAT32?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 2:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

I'm not sure if it is possible but I bought a portable hard drive ages ago. It is formated as NTFS. I was wondering if it is possible to convert this to FAT32 so my PS3 will be able to recognise the hard drive? Also if it's possible what free program can I use to do so?

Thanks a mill,

Marcus Antonius

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,450 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

If it's empty then just connect it to any PC and reformat it, you'll be given the option of which format to use.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,220 ✭✭✭bonzodog2

If it's not empty you need to move what you want to keep, then reformat. Windows may not want to make it FAT32 if its more than 32GB, but there are third party tools

• Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    If it's not empty you need to move what you want to keep, then reformat. Windows may not want to make it FAT32 if its more than 32GB, but there are third party tools

It's a 1TB. I never remember Windows giving me the option to choose, even when it was empty. Any suggestion for a third party tool?

Thanks,

Marcus Antonius

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

Any suggestion for a third party tool?

For some reason "Partition Wizard" popped up in my head.
    Looks like they have a free home edition which converts NTFS to FAT.

Partition Wizard Home Edition

Think I may have used it years ago to shrink an existing partition.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,636 ✭✭✭✭28064212

Do *not* use a converter on any data that you don't want to lose. Changing partition format is a low-level operation, and there is quite a lot of things that can go wrong, any one of which will make it extremely difficult to recover data. You should assume you are going to lose the data on the drive before attempting it

Boardsie Enhancement Suite - a browser extension to make using Boards on desktop a better experience (includes full-width display, keyboard shortcuts, dark mode, and more). Now available through your browser's extension store.

Firefox: https://addons.mozilla.org/addon/boardsie-enhancement-suite/

Chrome/Edge/Opera: https://chromewebstore.google.com/detail/boardsie-enhancement-suit/bbgnmnfagihoohjkofdnofcfmkpdmmce

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,654 ✭✭✭Marcus Antonius

Seems to have worked a treat. Aside from the fact the capacity has been cut in about half?

Many thanks anyhow,

Marcus Antonius

Advertisement