Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Former National Irish Bank, College Green becomes H&M flagship store

Options
  • 20-08-2014 3:03pm
    Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I may have been living under a rock but I only just realised/found out today that this is to be the new flagship H&M store in Dublin. I have been hearing recruitment ads for new staff on the radio this week.

It is a beautiful and interesting building that I would love to have had a good look around; it is good news that it is not to be left idle or to go into disrepair. The building is a protected structure and according to this article most of the historical features are to be maintained or restored. I will be there for a nosey around the building as soon as the bargain-hunting crowds have died down a bit.
    319139.jpg

Have I missed any other big developments while I was under that rock? :P

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Urgh....Dublin's slow decent into looking like every other boring British Town.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Good that it won't be left idle,and that some jobs will be had,but just another bland high street chain taking over a unique building to peddle their tat.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,214 ✭✭✭chopper6

It'll close...that's not good location for a business like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 216 ✭✭babaracus

Beautiful building inside and out. Will be interesting to see what they do with the internals.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

chopper6 wrote: »
    It'll close...that's not good location for a business like that.

It's a great location in fairness.So much footfall.Look at that Abercrombie place just down the street,place is always busy anytime I'm waiting for a bus outside it,and they'd be a lot more expensive than H+M.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

It's a great location in fairness.So much footfall.Look at that Abercrombie place just down the street,place is always busy anytime I'm waiting for a bus outside it,and they'd be a lot more expensive than H+M.

Yeah I think H&M is a big enough name to draw people to it rather than relying on passing footfall to be honest. They are close enough to Grafton Street to be included in that general shopping area if you were off shopping for the day I reckon.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,902 ✭✭✭Chris_5339762

The more footfall there is on that street the better the chances the big decision will be made to pedestrianise the Green all the way up to the Georges Street junction. It'll be a very difficult thing to do for a variety of reasons but imagine what a massive difference it would make to the city.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Faith+1 wrote: »

It's only the likes of them that could take on a building like this. Bridie selling her Aran jumpers would never be able to knit enough, yet alone sell enough to cover the rent.
    What would you suggest goes in their instead, that would be capable of remaining in business and paying the rent that a building like that would demand?
    Or would you rather it stayed idle?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

It's only the likes of them that could take on a building like this. Bridie selling her Aran jumpers would never be able to knit enough, yet alone sell enough to cover the rent.
    What would you suggest goes in their instead, that would be capable of remaining in business and paying the rent that a building like that would demand?

Precisely - big retailers draw people in, and the independents fill in smaller premises nearby. Can't see anything wrong with that, the area south of Dame St is full of small businesses. It's good to have that building come to life again... here's hoping that Ulster Bank opposite will smarten up their fronts, it looks like a bomb shelter by the bus stop!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

Wonder will they keep their store beside St. Stephens Green open now. V. close to each other.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭strandroad

I think they might, it's small by their standards. The flagship store is going to be Dundrum outlet size at least.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

Anything but a crappy British Store.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Regional East Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 12,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭miamee

Just for the record...H&M is a Swedish chain, not British.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,670 ✭✭✭quadrifoglio verde

Such as....remember it has to be sustainable there as well. And as Miamee pointed out, they're british. I suppose you'd be complaining if Pennys were to open there as well ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,969 ✭✭✭hardCopy

The more footfall there is on that street the better the chances the big decision will be made to pedestrianise the Green all the way up to the Georges Street junction. It'll be a very difficult thing to do for a variety of reasons but imagine what a massive difference it would make to the city.

I think if international retailers like Abercrombie, H&M and Starbucks come on board they'll be in a strong position to sway the council.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

Can't see it ever happening. How would buses get from the north side to the south side? It was easy enough to pedestrianize the northern part of Grafton St, as it wasn't a major transport hub. College Green is. Cars & buses that were stopped from using Grafon St, could easily use Dawson St or Georges St instead. Where would you route College Green bus traffic to instead?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,119 ✭✭✭Ben D Bus

H&M is Swedish and has a global presence.

I know where you're coming from, and agree to an extent, but we do need to have the big international brands here.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 Shelld2010

Anyone any idea when the flagship store is due to open?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

... H&M is from Sweden. What other type of comany would be capable filling such an impressive building? some Dunnes with a joke tag line 'the difference is we're Irish wink wink'

• Registered Users Posts: 9,544 ✭✭✭cgcsb

Obviously College Green won't ever be pedestrian since luas BXD is being built across it as we speak. However it is likely that cars will be banned from college green in the near future, i.e. before BXD opens.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Iirc there are going to be 4 spacious (luxury?) apartments built in the top floors of the building too. Imo this is the most interesting part of the development. So much uppet-floor space goes unused or under-utilised in Dublin. Any additional residential penthouse use in the very centre of town should be welcomed. It may encourage other building owners to realise the potential in their upper floors.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

ProudDUB wrote: »
    Can't see it ever happening. How would buses get from the north side to the south side? It was easy enough to pedestrianize the northern part of Grafton St, as it wasn't a major transport hub. College Green is. Cars & buses that were stopped from using Grafon St, could easily use Dawson St or Georges St instead. Where would you route College Green bus traffic to instead?

Combination of Westland Row/Pearse Street and Parliament Street or Bridge Street/Quays I guess.

Single lane bus lanes are probably more realistic though.

• Registered Users Posts: 408 ✭✭pencilsharp

Anybody know when its opening? And if they will have H&M home?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,180 ✭✭✭hfallada

Aard wrote: »
    Iirc there are going to be 4 spacious (luxury?) apartments built in the top floors of the building too. Imo this is the most interesting part of the development. So much uppet-floor space goes unused or under-utilised in Dublin. Any additional residential penthouse use in the very centre of town should be welcomed. It may encourage other building owners to realise the potential in their upper floors.

Even with tax breaks "living over the shop scheme" were a disaster. Less than a hundred businesses agreed to convert the area over their shop into apartments. With boom rents and tax breaks, it still wasnt worth it for businesses to do it

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭A Disgrace

hfallada wrote: »
    Even with tax breaks "living over the shop scheme" were a disaster. Less than a hundred businesses agreed to convert the area over their shop into apartments. With boom rents and tax breaks, it still wasnt worth it for businesses to do it

It doesn’t help that a lot of them have rebuilt the shop fronts and taken over complete frontage of them, thus removing the external door to the upper floors – there’s a whole load of empty floors above shops on Henry St and Grafton st (for example) that would make great homes, or even other businesses..

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭liffeylite

Anybody know when its opening? And if they will have H&M home?

H&M will open a new flagshH&M to open flagship in Dublin’s College Green

19 November 2014 | By Tara Hounslea

H&M will open a new flagship store on College Green in Dublin on December 18.

The store will occupy a sales area of 25,000 sq ft across four floors, offering collections for women, men and teenagers, in addition to a shoe lounge. The store will create around 50 new jobs in a mix of full and part-time positions.

“We are so honoured to be opening our 16th store in Ireland this December in this iconic building” said Carlos Duarte, H&M’s country manager for the UK and Ireland “We have been searching for the perfect location in the city for some time and look forward to offering both Dublin residents and the many visitors to this diverse city an inspiring and enjoyable shopping experience.”
    ip store on College Green in Dublin on December 18.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,905 ✭✭✭Aard

Just before Christmas.... it will be mobbed!

It's like Dublin's own version of the Oxford Street Topshop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭ucd.1985

This open yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,324 ✭✭✭✭Cathmandooo

ucd.1985 wrote: »
    This open yet?

Opening this Thursday at 6pm

From their facebook page:
    We're opening our first flagship store in Ireland!

Join us on Thursday 18th December at 6pm for the grand opening of our brand new store on College Green, Dublin. The store will sell our fantastic fashion and latest collection for ladies and mens.

The first 500 customers in the queue to shop will receive an exclusive 25% off their entire purchase plus goody bags and extra treats. For the guys, we are offering free alteration service for all customers purchasing from our suit dept.

To celebrate, we are partnering with SPIN 1038 who are running exclusive radio competitions to win €200 voucher to spend in store from 15th Dec. Plus, enter our in store competition on opening weekend - tweeting your favourite H&M outfit along with #HMCOLLEGEGREEN in store to win €150 H&M gift card.

Get ready to do some serious shopping...

Follow H&M fashion:
    ♥ Facebook www.facebook.com/hm
    ♥ Twitter www.twitter.com/hmeire
    ♥ App iPhone http://bit.ly/iPhoneAppHM
    ♥ App Android http://bit.ly/HMAndroidApp

• Advertisement
Advertisement