Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UK trained but want to teach primary in Ireland

Options
  • 20-08-2014 3:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi,

I am pulling my hair out trying to get information about teaching in Ireland so any info would be great! I did a post grad in London and have taught here for 2 years and I'm dying to get back.

I know the jobs market is hard, I know I have to do the Irish exam and I have already sent off my Teaching Council registration form. It takes about 10 weeks to come through but does anyone know if I can substitute teach with out the Registration Number? My old primary school said they'll give me subbing but will they take me without it?

Also I know the new requirement for primary teachers is a course with 120 credits but as I did a Post Grad here I think I only have 60 credits. Will they register me or is it already too late?

So confused so please help, I'll give you a sticker if you do :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Marar2 wrote: »
    Also I know the new requirement for primary teachers is a course with 120 credits but as I did a Post Grad here I think I only have 60 credits. Will they register me or is it already too late?

I'm not fully sure, but I'd imagine this doesn't apply to people who graduated before the requirement was introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭An Bradán Feasa

You did your course before the credit requirement changed, so you'll be fine. You already know what needs to be done for full recognition in Ireland, so no more needs to be said on that! I presume you completed your probation too.

The one thing I'll say to you is that the state won't pay you if you don't have TC registration, even if your registration is pending. The only way you'll get paid for subbing is if that school you mentioned pays you from their own funds.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Marar2

The one thing I'll say to you is that the state won't pay you if you don't have TC registration, even if your registration is pending. The only way you'll get paid for subbing is if that school you mentioned pays you from their own funds.[/quote]

Thanks for that, I feel more reassured now!
    Do you know if a normal national school could pay me out of their own funds or would that just be private schools?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

"Do you know if a normal national school could pay me out of their own funds or would that just be private schools?"

Irish primary schools can't even pay for heating in many cases , it is extremely unlikely that any primary school would pay a sub privately ,there are hundreds of fully qualified subs out there -the school would use one of them and let the DES pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,178 ✭✭✭killbillvol2

"Do you know if a normal national school could pay me out of their own funds or would that just be private schools?"

Irish primary schools can't even pay for heating in many cases , it is extremely unlikely that any primary school would pay a sub privately ,there are hundreds of fully qualified subs out there -the school would use one of them and let the DES pay.

You wouldn't believe the number of schools paying subs from their own funds. They're all obviously in affluent areas and they're paying subs to cover course days and other days not covered under normal circumstances.

I know a retired teacher who worked 75 days last year, most of them paid by the schools. His wife, also retired, worked nearly 40 days in the school where she'd been principal for 20 years.

They're not the worst examples as at least they were qualified teachers. The same schools are paying entirely unqualified people to take PE, IT, etc. A number of these schools have now popped up looking for slave labour under that wonderful scheme paying the unemployed €50 a week extra to lick the principal's behind in the non existent hope of getting a job down the line.

It's the education black market basically.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭Katy_B

Hi! Just wondering how you got on with registering, getting a job in Ireland etc. I did a PGCE in the UK and have been teaching there for the last 2 years. Would also like to go back eventually but wondering what I will need to do. Anyone have any info? Thanks :)

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,498 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

Please don't drag up old threads.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement