Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autoplay Videos

Options
  • 20-08-2014 3:25pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭

Before anyone mentions it, I know I shouldn't be on my phone in work!

Anyway, at work and flicking through boards when suddenly Sky Sports News comes on blaring! Que me fumbling for 30 seconds trying to figure out what's going on while others around me look on :(

I had clicked into a new page on a thread and there was a video with auto play enabled

I think auto play videos should be banned. If someone wants to watch a video they can click on it or watch it at a more appropriate time, we shouldn't be forced to watch it

Any thoughts?
    Post edited by Shield on

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Youtube had a bad software update that caused this, they should be sorting it later today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

Spear wrote: »
    Youtube had a bad software update that caused this, they should be sorting it later today.

It was a Vine video if that makes a difference?

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Help & Feedback Category Moderators Posts: 25,311 CMod ✭✭✭✭Spear

Vine videos shouldn't be involved, there's just the known Youtube issue on the go.

Vine videos shouldn't be involved, there's just the known Youtube issue on the go.

Ok so there's an issue at the moment and it will be resolved but isn't there an option to auto play YouTube videos anyway? My question is, should these auto play videos, whether YouTube or Vines, be banned? I think they should. It should be click to play only IMO

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,840 ✭✭✭Dav

It was my understanding that Vine's default state is "play the video but not the audio until the speaker icon is clicked" - at least that's how it's always worked for me. Is there some sort of setting on Vine (if you have an account maybe) that alters this?

• Advertisement

Dav wrote: »
    It was my understanding that Vine's default state is "play the video but not the audio until the speaker icon is clicked" - at least that's how it's always worked for me. Is there some sort of setting on Vine (if you have an account maybe) that alters this?

I haven't a clue about Vines to be honest. I remember a few YouTube videos with auto play before but I didn't take much notice of any of them till it happened in work :o

I'll link the post in question, maybe it's a setting on my phone!?

It's making no noise for me on desktop or on my phone (doesn't even auto-play on my phone). The App doesn't have the facility to render Vines yet, so it just appears as a link.

I'm not saying that's conclusive at all, just that I can't replicate it. Can you tell me what kind of phone you have and what browser you're using? I'm on a HTC One M7 with Chrome.

M8 using Dolphin browser. Does it not even show the vid for you? As soon as I click into the thread, on the touch site and when I changed over to full site, the video plays sound and picture and did the same when I first opened the page

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,221 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I use dolphin browser as well on the S4 and it's playing automatically with sound for me too. Using the touch site.

Only get a link on my laptop (FF, Windows 8)

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

I use dolphin browser as well on the S4 and it's playing automatically with sound for me too. Using the touch site.

Only get a link on my laptop (FF, Windows 8)

\0/

It's not just me :p

No autoplay at all on chrome. Issue with Dolphin perhaps?

It's not just you, but it is Dolphin. It autoplays with sound all video content it parses and there's nothing we can do to get around it I'm afraid, turns out Pablo's already been dealing with this: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057127766

Ah cool, thanks for looking into it :)

The post only contains a link, not an embedded object, so it has to be the Dolphin browser interpreting the Vine link locally, and thus playing it too.

The post only contains a link, not an embedded object, so it has to be the Dolphin browser interpreting the Vine link locally, and thus playing it too.

Unrelated, but is that why images in AH show up as embedded on my mobile?

Advertisement