Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Length of Ireland

• 20-08-2014 4:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi all i was thinking about Swimming the Length of Ireland

i was thinking about Starting off in Co.Cork Cobh and swim the Coast from Cork -> WexFord -> Dublin -> NewCastle -> then finish off in Portrush in N.I

doing this for Break through Cancer Research.

what would i need to get done and what forms to fill out to get this moving..

also when would be the best time to Start ? the less Jelly the better.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 697 ✭✭✭biomed32

I wouldnt know where to start but have been contemplating swimming the Shannon at some point myself

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Shannon does song like a good plan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 648 ✭✭✭Freddio

This guy is planning something similar next year. His website gives an insight as to what's involved.

http://www.roundirelandswim.com/

Thanks for the link, Just wondering as anyone every done that before,

I cant seem to find anything on the net about it but there was a relay team of 6 swimmers who did it in 2006 or '07. I think they were a team from Donegal.

AFAIK no individual has done it in modern times.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭okane1

Freddio wrote: »
    I cant seem to find anything on the net about it but there was a relay team of 6 swimmers who did it in 2006 or '07. I think they were a team from Donegal.

AFAIK no individual has done it in modern times.

It was in 2006 when a team of 6 people swam around Ireland as a team - information below
    http://openwaterpedia.com/index.php?title=Nuala_Moore&oldid=302898

It was 1,350km in length and I'm going to put it out there, it is very very difficult, if not impossible to do solo. Cool, rough water.

If the OP wants a challenge, aim for the English Channel.

I agree - even the English channel crossing takes a year of preparation for an experienced swimmer and many have been defeated by it

English Channel is England to France ?

or are we talking about the irish Sea, Irealnd to England ?

i would like to build up to it and train the mind, to over come my fear of jelly fish, even a compass would put me in fear in case i hit off it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Freddio wrote: »
    I agree - even the English channel crossing takes a year of preparation for an experienced swimmer and many have been defeated by it

Two year waiting list, lucky to get a cancellation before that! Have heard a few who have swam it didn't even bother to keep swimming after it. Freddio have you heard Gerard Carty story about it?

I don't know how he kept going, even near end he kept going with one arm. One of his shoulders gave in, Everything went against him, took him 2 hrs to get out of harbour because of rough seas. Overall it took him 19.5 hrs to complete it, on a nice day I would of bet him to do it in 10hrs or under with the training he done. Now this fella is a serious speedster, very strong open sea swimmer. He just wouldn't give up.

mad m wrote: »
    Two year waiting list, lucky to get a cancellation before that! Have heard a few who have swam it didn't even bother to keep swimming after it. Freddio have you heard Gerard Carty story about it?

I don't know how he kept going, even near end he kept going with one arm. One of his shoulders gave in, Everything went against him, took him 2 hrs to get out of harbour because of rough seas. Overall it took him 19.5 hrs to complete it, on a nice day I would of bet him to do it in 10hrs or under with the training he done. Now this fella is a serious speedster, very strong open sea swimmer. He just wouldn't give up.
    I didn't hear that one but Eoin from Phoenix was telling me once you've done it you wouldn't be arsed getting into a pool to train for 2 or 3 k.

I swam in a swim in Wexford this year that Tom Healy was in. He is the Irish record holder for the channel and judging by that swim I don't think he ever gets tired.

Your looking good in the league btw

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,008 ✭✭✭mad m

Yeah have heards Eoins story also. I think I heard the tide turned on him as he was approaching France and he had to swim parallel to shore until tide went back in?

Yeah the league, can't believe I'm up there but Bernard from North Dublin is a strong swimmer and 4 points ahead .honestly though have been trying my best to win a race this year but it's very hard as you know.

• Registered Users Posts: 486 ✭✭LaGlisse

Didn't some guy swim around the uk mainland in the last 1-2 years. He had a pretty snazzy website and a bit of media coverage and I have to say cynic that I am I was a bit sceptical about it. He certainly wasn't doing it channel rules style anyway.

LaGlisse wrote: »
    Didn't some guy swim around the uk mainland in the last 1-2 years. He had a pretty snazzy website and a bit of media coverage and I have to say cynic that I am I was a bit sceptical about it. He certainly wasn't doing it chapel rules style anyway.

He also Cycled the Lenght of the UK, and is in the middle of Running from the Top of Scotland down to the lower parts of England

Advertisement