Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Current accounts

Options
  • 20-08-2014 6:05pm
    Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭

Who're the best to go with for a current account nowadays?

BOI are after copping that I am no longer a student (Dragged that out for a while!) but I don't trust myself to leave 3k sitting idle in my current account.

I'm after signing up with KBC. There's a 6 euro quarterly fee and 30 cent per ATM withdrawal, everything else is free including cash back which most places do anyway. They're offering 4.5% on a fixed term deposit account which seems to be unbeatable. It's all online though and no cash.

PTSB are completely free once you lodge your wages, but I went in their today and the girl behind the "Hello" counter I took an immediate dislike to, and she wasn't very helpful at all. She also wanted 3months statements from my previous bank, I don't understand why they would need this?

Am I better off sticking with KBC or is PTSB the better option?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,444 ✭✭✭DMcL1971

KBC are still very new in the current account market. They don't have a branch network. Their online banking is still quite basic. The 4.5% rate you refer to is for a regular saver account, not a fixed term deposit account (no lump sum deposit allowed, just regular monthly deposits of under 1K allowed).

I find that PTSB staff and customer service are not great but at least they have a branch network and a good online system. They also offer some very good interest rates.

I have current accounts with both and to be honest, even though I don't like the PTSB customer service, I find their service offering far superior.

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭BazzaDP

In the middle of transferring to PTSB myself now.

Yeah they could be a bit more inviting alright! However once I started the process things improved and all been very efficient and smooth so far.

The 3 month statement thing is only if you want them to migrate DDs for you or want a credit card. I didn't have statements with me and was happy to (and in some ways preferred to) arrange to move DDs myself so skipped that and will deal with the Credit card later once I get more settled in.

Online banking is OK. Few minor grumbles but looks to do the job.

Would suggest you save up a little to keep some money in both accounts until you're sure everything's moved. That's what I plan to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

The woman behind the PTSB counter didn't explain why she wanted three months statements, if she had said it was DD's I could have told her I would have sorted everything myself ( I'm changing job and I have two DD'S). Even more annoying as I had everything else I needed with me!

I must research further into it. The more I look into it the more PTSB seems like a better option. I'll just go into a different branch.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,814 ✭✭✭dobsdave

The woman behind the PTSB counter didn't explain why she wanted three months statements, if she had said it was DD's I could have told her I would have sorted everything myself ( I'm changing job and I have two DD'S). Even more annoying as I had everything else I needed with me!

I must research further into it. The more I look into it the more PTSB seems like a better option. I'll just go into a different branch.

i switched a year ago, haven't been in since. dont get hung up on personalities.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 523 ✭✭✭tenifan

I've always found PTSB branch staff to be fairly useless. Fortunately, you rarely need to deal with them. Set up your account and enjoy free banking.

• Advertisement
Advertisement