Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Fight Nights: Bisbing v Le / Bendo v Dos Anjos

• 20-08-2014 6:49pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭

Probably not worthy of two separate threads so here goes
    both saturday, bisbing/le card starting at 11.30am here on sat with the main card starting around 2pm our time
    not on tv live bar the usual methods but is on bt sports one at 10pm
    sat night for those who want to wait

23k6mwg.jpg

bendo v dos anjos on bt sports 1 at 1am (prelims) till 6am (main card starts 3am)

jz9o4j.jpg

I would be shocked if bisbing couldn't beat le and I'd be thinking a decision
    if it goes down that way and like some have said in the other thread if
    le does get it done it'll surely be in the first/second round
    Bisbing wont have any problem going five rounds, hard to see le keeping up
    bisbings pace for much more than a couple of rounds but maybe heart alone
    might see go the distance

kim v woodley an interesting match up
    Not sure what to expect here given kims new kamikaze style of fighting and i've no idea what brought about the change, up till that the man made
    john fitch look exciting
    My thinking is if he comes out swinging like his last couple of fight that
    woodley might take his head off him but if he survives the first using this
    method then maybe he'll eventually tire out woodley
    Think he may have more chance going back to his old human blanket style but
    hope this doesnt happen, my guess is that kim will be a little more conservative here against a fighter who can look great at times
    whatever happens I do feel woodley is a very risky bet at a short price
    Dont know too many more fighters on that card :pac:

bendo v don anjos
    surely a decision whatever happens
    think bendo is better than dos anjos but dos anj is tough to say
    the least and will imo come out second best after five rounds
    It's odds on the bendo wins on pts, say no more

carmont v leites
    never been a fan of leites and this is his biggest test by
    far since his ufc return, think a similiar performance by carmont as
    against cb+souza will be good enough to take this on pts

pyle v mein
    No idea, pyle a big underdog here so may be the value call
    head says mein, heart says pyle, should be a good scrap

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

Out of all these fights the only one I've been solidly looking forward to is Bisping vs. Le

Le is a really interesting fighter with some great combinations and an all round decent fighter to watch (until he gasses)

As mentioned elsewhere he's absolutely stacked on the muscle. He looks enormous compared to bout against Franklin - just hope it doesn't go against him so soon.

All that being said, this is Bispings fight. If it leaves the first it has decision written all over it imo.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭Moat_Cailin

Should be a good main event LE/Bisping. Cung responded well after the Silva loss. I tend to agree with the above, Le has KO power to go along with his stand up and should be very dangerous for the opening rounds. Bisping has solid all round skills and pushes a fast tempo, I look for him to mix it up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

Good to see Ben Saunders back in the UFC. Always thought it was a bad decision to drop him.

The Thales Leites vs. Francis Carmont is interesting. Carmont is on a two fight skid after being highly touted as "the next big thing" and Leites is on a decent streak. A win for the Brazilian veteran could get him a decently ranked opponent next time out. The winner of Pyle vs Mein maybe.

Would love to see Pyle go on a nice streak. He's no Spring chicken and he may not have a lot more fights left in him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,257 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

p to the e wrote: »
    The Thales Leites vs. Francis Carmont is interesting. Carmont is on a two fight skid after being highly touted as "the next big thing" and Leites is on a decent streak. A win for the Brazilian veteran could get him a decently ranked opponent next time out. The winner of Pyle vs Mein maybe.

This will be a terrible fight. If they gave negative Fight Night bonuses for "Stinker of the Night" then this would be it. Leites will smother Carmont on the way to a decision win!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,503 ✭✭✭adamski8

Wouldn't mind seeing a Fine of the Night bonus alright.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭p to the e

MrStuffins wrote: »
    This will be a terrible fight. If they gave negative Fight Night bonuses for "Stinker of the Night" then this would be it. Leites will smother Carmont on the way to a decision win!

Oh it will definitely be a slow one alright. Carmont's slow grinding style won him a few fights but may lead him to the unemployment line if he loses as it's not "television friendly".

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,437 ✭✭✭weemcd

http://instagram.com/p/rzdiMqmuiy

Jesus Christ look at the size of the torso on Le, his arms look abnormally small compared to his chest. <mod snip>

I predict he has one round, after that Bisping should have cardio for days, hell Bisping might even get a rare (these days) finish to a badly gassed Cung Le. This is a real style match-up. Interesting.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,387 ✭✭✭Wrongway1985

Always liked Bisping well sort of liked since the Sky Sports interview before he did TUF or I think during TUF either way before it was actually known he won it.

I'm not gonna lie enjoyed the Henderson K.O. as much as any but heres Bisping in a different light than we're used to http://mmahub.net/ufc-fly-michael-bisping/

• Registered Users Posts: 3,539 ✭✭✭John_D80

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,438 ✭✭✭✭El Guapo!

Mod: Lads, have a read of the charter again. Don't suggest anyone is taking PEDs without solid proof to back up your statements.

• Advertisement

El Guapo! wrote: »
    Mod: Lads, have a read of the charter again. Don't suggest anyone is taking PEDs without solid proof to back up your statements.

Major apologies. Was meant as a tongue in cheek comment considering that specific fighters appearance recently. Didn't mean for it to be taken seriously. Totally my bad.

Just watched the weigh ins for bisping/Le. That Don Hyung Kim is a big lad for 170. And Bisping is looking in great shape. He's put on quite a bit of mass since last fight IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 840 ✭✭✭jsa112

Macau prelims starting in 5, probably will be terrible though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,541 ✭✭✭Davei141

We start the double event off with a contender for the worst fight ever in the UFC. Sadly i am not exaggerating.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭ASOT

John_D80 wrote: »
    Just watched the weigh ins for bisping/Le. That Don Hyung Kim is a big lad for 170. And Bisping is looking in great shape. He's put on quite a bit of mass since last fight IMO.

Kims style is a match made in heaven for Woodley. Woodley takes this easy imo even with the size difference.

Thats an absolute robbery. There is no way Wee won that fight.

We are in for a night of very strange decisions..

Only a matter of time before that was stopped, complete mismatch. Cody was about 809 times better on the ground.

My thoughts exactly, no bonus for the match maker in that one.

Sasaki is 17-1, but for some reason i can see him getting steamrolled. The standard in Asia just doesnt seem good atall. Really shows how much the Irish/European scene has come along.

EDIT - How wrong was i.... Good finish that.

• Advertisement

Yeah you can never tell, i thought the same. Delorme could find himself cut.

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭IanMc666

Fantastic control from Lipeng in the closing moments of that final round, gruesome cut on O'Reilly too.

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Fantastic control from Lipeng in the closing moments of that final round, gruesome cut on O'Reilly too.

Yeah his mouth was messed up something terrible! This should be a good fight, hopefully the proper Woodley is back here!

Boom my boy woodley is back on track, Kims wild striking suited him so so well!

ASOT wrote: »
    Boom my boy woodley is back on track, Kims wild striking suited him so so well!

Decisive win there for Woodley, absolute beast!

IanMc666 wrote: »
    Decisive win there for Woodley, absolute beast!

Iv said it for ages hes one of my favorite fighters and i feel when hes on form he would be capable to hold his own against hendricks and possibly take the belt, he just seems to freeze up in the bigger fights e.g mcdonald. Hope he takes things from this and comes on even stronger!

Cung is hurt so bad here, Bisping going for the kill, wont last much longer.

Fair play to Cung for telling the doctors hes ok but i think this should have been stopped his eye is fairly bad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

What a mauling.

Absolutely beautiful finish from Bisping.

• Advertisement

Good fight from Bisping but I wouldn't take much from that. Le is well over the hill and very inactive, only had a small chance to KO early. Anyone in the top 10 I'd fancy against Bisping atm.

Woodley really is an absolute killer, difficult to get him out of the first round.

19 shots unanswered there for the finish, wouldnt take much from it myself but it was a great TKO win for Bisping!

Jesus christ his two eyes are absolute in bits.

I was absolutely cringing watching Le's post fight interview, Jesus his face was messed up! Great win for Bisping. Say what you want about him but I do like him.

But take nothing away from Cung Le either, what an absolute warrior and he never stopped!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,001 ✭✭✭Mr. Loverman

ASOT wrote: »
    Absolutely beautiful finish from Bisping.

I agree! Normally I'm not too impressed by him (he's technical but not lethal) but that was vicious.

Apparently Dana told the dodgy judge to GTFO after the second fight! Brilliant!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

just watched it myself

part of me thought kim might be a bit more conservative but it was
    obvious what his tactics were going to be just before it started
    perfect match up for woodley, looks great at times but I don't see him
    beating hendricks, rory again or lawlor anytime soon
    looks pure dynamite against an opponent that suits his style though but
    flatters to deceive at times
    I'd love to see him get a rematch with condit sometime next year
    I will never know how he lost to shields, I'd have put the house on him I was
    that confident
    Bring back paul daley I say and you'll have the two most explosive
    ww's on the planet going head to head

bisbing was entitled to win that easily unless le connected early and im delighted he did, cardio machine is bisbing to be fair to him
    was certain it would end in a doctor stoppage myself

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭dulux99

Bisping probably won't ever fight for the title, but he will only truly be appreciated properly when he's gone. Never turned down a fight, always drummed up excitement, never had a bad run in the UFC. Brilliant fighter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,970 ✭✭✭Lenin Skynard

Well that's Bendo out of the picture for a little while. Can't say I'm disappointed about it. Cerrone/Alvarez just became a lot more important. Hopefully Pettis will fight again some time this decade.

Lightweight can get very interesting if Pettis is more active after injury, or Melendez wins the belt. Winner of Cerrone v Alvez will be very close to the title.

Dos Anjos, Khabib and TJ Grant could all be in with a shot with one more win.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,931 ✭✭✭✭mailburner

fair play to dos anjos, last thing I expected to see
    probably just as well for bendo he probably wont have to fight khabib now

bendo being knocked out and leites getting a ko all in the one night :eek:

Khabib will take the belt after he recovers from his injury aslong as it doesnt hinder he. He make Dos Anjos look a whole class below him in his last fight. Great qin for him tonight though, i absolutely hate henderson so im glad he lost!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

Just watched the whole event fully there while im hungover from last night, Really enjoyed holloways fight. 22 years old and that was his 9th fight in the UFC thats mental! Great to see the McGregor loss spurred him on opposed to hindering him!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

darced wrote: »

Infairness to henderson we ve seen him get hit with worse and recover, he was knocked down but def not out it looked worse than it was imo, bad stoppage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evo2000 wrote: »
    Infairness to henderson we ve seen him get hit with worse and recover, he was knocked down but def not out it looked worse than it was imo, bad stoppage.
    It was more than just a knock down from the punch. His whole body went limp and his legs gave out. He just collasped, it wasn't even the same direction as the punch.

There was 3 strikes soon after, and one of these easily brought him around quickly. That changes nothing though, he was out.

Rafael%2Bdos%2BAnjos%2BStops%2BBen%2BHenderson%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2BTulsa.gif

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭evo2000

Mellor wrote: »
    It was more than just a knock down from the punch. His whole body went limp and his legs gave out. He just collasped, it wasn't even the same direction as the punch.

There was 3 strikes soon after, and one of these easily brought him around quickly. That changes nothing though, he was out.

Rafael%2Bdos%2BAnjos%2BStops%2BBen%2BHenderson%2B-%2BUFC%2BFight%2BNight%2BTulsa.gif

if thats the case then frankie edgar was ktfo twice by maynard!

I just wish refs would let the fighters put it beyond all doubt, i know fighter safety an all but its still a fight at the end of the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

evo2000 wrote: »
    if thats the case then frankie edgar was ktfo twice by maynard!
    He was dropped sure. But he wasn't lights out imo. That's the big difference.
    I just wish refs would let the fighters put it beyond all doubt, i know fighter safety an all but its still a fight at the end of the day!
    I'm usually the one complaining that a ref jumped in too soon. But I can't see how Bendo has any case here. He folded, legs are limp, arms are nowhere near blocking strikes.
    Is he even saying if was early?

After crumpling, how many undefended strikes is enough?

I would commend Big John for the stoppage. Still the best in the game. Henderson didn't take a single shot more than nessecary. You only have to see his movements and his facial expressions for the first 15-30 seconds after the stoppage to realise he was not entirely in control of his faculties.

Mellor wrote: »

How anyone can complain about the stoppage is beyond me.

• Advertisement
Advertisement