Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lens repair Dublin

• 20-08-2014 8:05pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hi. just wondering if anyone knows where does lens repair in Dublin, not even sure if it can be fixed, its a nikon dx 18-55mm lens. The lens end that attaches to camera has fallen inside the body, the whole inner casing is loose and rolling around inside ?? any help appreciated, thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

Westwood wrote: »
    Hi. just wondering if anyone knows where does lens repair in Dublin, not even sure if it can be fixed, its a nikon dx 18-55mm lens. The lens end that attaches to camera has fallen inside the body, the whole inner casing is loose and rolling around inside ?? any help appreciated, thanks

My son had a similar problem with an AF-S 18-55 lens on his D40X ( put his finger through it from the rear ). When we attempted to get it repaired in Dublin we were told it was €25 for an estimate and the estimate came in at an additional €125. I bought him a new lens on the internet from the UK for less than the proposed cost of repair.
    This was about six years ago. I doubt that things have changed much here in the camera repair business since than.

Bluezulu49.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

is that the lens with the plastic mount? it may not be economical to fix it; here's one for sale on adverts asking €55, with no bites, so its S/H value is probably a bit less:
    http://www.adverts.ie/lenses/nikon-dx-af-s-nikkor-18-55mm-1-3-5-5-6g-ii-ed/6201018

you might find the parts are more expensive than the lens, not even accounting for labour.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

Boardsie Zerohamster is excellent. Contact him and ask.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,052 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

bluezulu49 wrote: »
    I doubt that things have changed much here in the camera repair business since than.
    i just wanted to pick up on this - apologies if it was not intended, but this seems to come across as a criticism of the 'camera repair business', as it seems to draw a general conclusion.
    an item being beyond economic repair is not unusual, and certainly not limited to camera repair. if it was intended as a criticism, it's unfair to draw a general conclusion based on a single incident.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 231 ✭✭bluezulu49

i just wanted to pick up on this - apologies if it was not intended, but this seems to come across as a criticism of the 'camera repair business', as it seems to draw a general conclusion.
    an item being beyond economic repair is not unusual, and certainly not limited to camera repair. if it was intended as a criticism, it's unfair to draw a general conclusion based on a single incident.

It was not my intention to disparage the camera repair business in my reply above, merely to point out that the cost of replacement of a modern plastic lens which comes with a guarantee can be less than the cost of having the item repaired, if repair is possible. In our case it was also by far the quickest way to resolve the situation.

Bluezulu49.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,905 ✭✭✭fret_wimp2

as mentioned, Zerohamster is your guy. Super knowledgeable, really knows his game, and will not rip you off. Give him a shout and see if he can help you out.

Advertisement