Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Photospheres

Options
  • 20-08-2014 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭

Hello. I am very new to app creation and completely devoid of any coding knowledge. Is it possible to create an app that shows photospheres in compass mode (ie the image moves in tandem with the screen when displayed) Google have a photosphere viewer as part of their Google Cardboard app, I want my own and am wondering what will it take to make that possible? Ideally I would like the app to contain preloaded/compressed photospheres. Am I able to implement this myself? Is there a way I have overlooked? or, do I need a dedicated pro to build it for me? Kind regards.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,777 ✭✭✭✭The Corinthian

Yes, you will need an experienced developer to do this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 10,518 Mod ✭✭✭✭5uspect

The default camera app can record photospheres. It can also use compass mode. Does this do what you want?

5uspect wrote: »
    The default camera app can record photospheres.
    For a limited number of phones, by default. For most others you need to download an app to do so.

The OP hasn't really explained what he wants. I'm presuming he wants his own app that can produce photospheres itself, after which he'll do something with them (if not, he's probably on the wrong forum). If that's the case, he needs to build it - get the camera to take a series of images, stitch them together and then add the embedded metadata.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭osprey

For a limited number of phones, by default. For most others you need to download an app to do so.

The OP hasn't really explained what he wants. I'm presuming he wants his own app that can produce photospheres itself, after which he'll do something with them (if not, he's probably on the wrong forum). If that's the case, he needs to build it - get the camera to take a series of images, stitch them together and then add the embedded metadata.
    Okay, well there's a Dive SDK out there that will enable SBS viewing. What I'm looking to make is an app that will show a prescribed set of photospheres viewable using the Dive SDK. I'm not looking to make an app that photographs them. If somebody can realize the project I am ready to come to an agreement.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,865 ✭✭✭The_B_Man

I got my cardboard yesterday and was looking at this today.
    I came across this post on XDA:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/google-cardboard-t2810919/post54190891

Basically it says you can take the panoramic photos with your android phone, and watch them in the photospheres section of cardboard.

If you're able to do that, then you'd be able to create your own app that just shows photospheres. See if the cardboard app is open source. If so, you can just strip out the feature you want, add in your own photos, and then you're good to go.

• Advertisement

The_B_Man wrote: »
    I got my cardboard yesterday and was looking at this today.
    I came across this post on XDA:
    http://forum.xda-developers.com/htc-one-m8/help/google-cardboard-t2810919/post54190891

Basically it says you can take the panoramic photos with your android phone, and watch them in the photospheres section of cardboard.

If you're able to do that, then you'd be able to create your own app that just shows photospheres. See if the cardboard app is open source. If so, you can just strip out the feature you want, add in your own photos, and then you're good to go.
    Good suggestion, thanks. I have had a brief look around my usual ports of call on the 'net but am not seeing anything? Any suggestions?

osprey wrote: »
    If somebody can realize the project I am ready to come to an agreement.
    I don't want to seem impolite, but unless you can find a quick and easy solution like The_B_Man is suggesting, that works, you'd probably be as well off to let people know what your budget is, because if it's under four figures minimum, you're better off trying the universities and see if someone bites.

I don't want to seem impolite, but unless you can find a quick and easy solution like The_B_Man is suggesting, that works, you'd probably be as well off to let people know what your budget is, because if it's under four figures minimum, you're better off trying the universities and see if someone bites.
    Sir I won't discuss price in public, if it's the case where somebody believes they can help in the build sense, then I'm sure they'll make contact appropriately. I welcome that and we do have a budget. For now I'll wait and see what other posters might be able to suggest. As you say there may well be a fast and simple solution yet. So, I'm happy to wait.

Sir I won't discuss price in public, if it's the case where somebody believes they can help in the build sense, then I'm sure they'll make contact appropriately.
    I'm not suggesting you discuss price, and you'll no doubt get people contacting you, but unless you give an idea of what kind of budget you have you may be wasting your and other people's time.

I'm not suggesting you discuss price, and you'll no doubt get people contacting you, but unless you give an idea of what kind of budget you have you may be wasting your and other people's time.
    I don't think we are wasting time here, we've received four pm's today and are entertaining some good suggestions. So, let's see how it goes. In my book, budget is a serious indicator of pricing a job, so no I will not discuss that openly. All of the while, if you think you can be a part of this project and want to get a feel of the budget, please pm me.

• Advertisement

I don't think we are wasting time here, we've received four pm's today and are entertaining some good suggestions. So, let's see how it goes. In my book, budget is a serious indicator of pricing a job, so no I will not discuss that openly.
    Please don't take offence. It's simply that you'd be surprised how many will come here looking for an app and when it comes down to it their budget it turns out to be unrealistically low for Irish professionals, and as such will likely get lot's of enquiries that go nowhere once the budget becomes better known, which is wasting everyone's time. So you don't actually have to give a budget, only let it be known it's a 'professional' one (four to five figures) or not.

If your budget is low, then you're better off concentrating on student fora and noticeboards, places like eLance and even here you'll get students or junior developers who are willing to take on such jobs as nixers. Anyhow, I'll presume you're aware of all this and leave you to it.
    All of the while, if you think you can be a part of this project and want to get a feel of the budget, please pm me.
    'Fraid not; I'm not based in Ireland, my plate is uber-full and where I am based rates are significantly higher than Irish ones anyway. I'm just happy to help here, also as it keeps me connected to the aul sod ;)

Best of luck.

Advertisement