Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Caherconree Fort,camping

Options
  • 20-08-2014 9:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭

Hi all planning my first wild camping trip hopefully to Caherconree fort on the Dingle peninsula anyone else done that ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

I was up Caherconree and would have to say that you'd want to have a reasonable level of fitness to carry up the gear needed for camping.

The views are outstanding up there.

How was camping up there anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,081 ✭✭✭sheesh

unfortunately this trip is still very much in the planning stages :o

have my light one man tent (under 2kg) it uses a hiking pole for support. it works well so long as the pole works well. when it does not you wake up with the tent flapping in my case the pole slipped a small bit at night tent went a bit loose and so I had a draft it was less than ideal. a warmer sleeping has solved most of that problem

There is no water up there as far as I can see so I might get away with 5 litres of drinking water for a night.

I'll give it a blast in may I think, sooner if we get good weather.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,554 ✭✭✭Pat Mustard

5 litres of water is 5kg. A fair amount of weight for one night.

I hope that your tent will survive the wind up there.

If there is snow up there now, the views will be even more impressive than usual:

picmtn_ct-00026-8.jpg

5 litres of water is 5kg. A fair amount of weight for one night.

I hope that your tent will survive the wind up there.

If there is snow up there now, the views will be even more impressive than usual:

picmtn_ct-00026-8.jpg

yeah 5 might be a bit much but it would be used over a day I would plan to go to the summit and possibly over to bartregaum as well. come back for some nice dinner wait until it gets dark and get some night photographs.

A little dropeen of alcohol and then off to bed wake up for sunrise and more photography back to bed for another hour and brekie and go home.

You have to admit it is a very good plan. Whether it all fits into a 45 L rucksack maybe a second bag in my hand has yet to be established

Wouldn't be camping in this weather have no equipment for that

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

It's a fairly exposed place to camp for your first wild camp. I'd have a couple of goes in a lowland forest, before a wild mountain site.

• Advertisement

Really? I have an alternative its a valley closer to home and water so I could bring a filter and just enough to get me up there. second alternative would be Glantineassig wood near castlegregory it has a major midge problem I have heard.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,779 ✭✭✭Carawaystick

There wouldn't be many midges out now...

There wouldn't be many midges out now...

Jesus have you looked outside ?!

I'm not going out in that! :D

april-may would be the earliest, the original post was from last year with our really good summer

I chickened out and did a shake down camp in a camping site just to get out of the house and it was then I noticed that the disadvantage of using a walking pole as a tent pole (it gets shorter as the night goes on) that and the tent inner being made mainly of mesh meant I was woken up by a breeze and flapping tent.

I might just cut a branch to the correct length and use that as a walking stick

Advertisement