Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What subjects can be covered in a year?

• 20-08-2014 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 416 ✭✭

This thread I read earlier got me thinking: what subjects could a willing student take up at the start of 6th year, covering the course well enough to achieve a good grade on the exam?
    Obviously the definition of "good grade" will vary, and this will have a big bearing on the amount of work required, as will the subject level.
    I look forward to hearing people's thoughts on this matter.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Magnate

Although I don't do it myself, I've heard the applied mathematics course is short enough, if you're able for it.

I believe some languages like Russian & Spanish are shorter than most too.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,382 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Magnate wrote: »
    Although I don't do it myself, I've heard the applied mathematics course is short enough, if you're able for it.

I believe some languages like Russian & Spanish are shorter than most too.

Russian is designed to only be a two year course that can be taken up in fifth year. Spanish on the other hand is available as a Junior Cert subject so the standard for LC I presume would be on par with French and German.

Russian is designed to only be a two year course that can be taken up in fifth year. Spanish on the other hand is available as a Junior Cert subject so the standard for LC I presume would be on par with French and German.

Correct, sorry I meant Japanese!

• Registered Users Posts: 14 petrichor

I did physics in a year and got an A.
    In my opinion, the course was quite short and the material wasn't overly difficult.

I also did applied maths for 2 years and I do agree the course is short and doable in a year, but to get a "good grade" you really have to have a high aptitude for maths.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

Ag Science is definitely doable in a year! I took it up myself after Christmas of Leaving Cert last year and managed to get an A2 in it. The course is relatively short, especially if you do Biology, and there is a lot of choice in the actual paper. That said, the project is quite a bit of work but it's very helpful in achieving a high grade if you're willing to go the extra mile with it!

• Advertisement

Ag Science is definitely doable in a year! I took it up myself after Christmas of Leaving Cert last year and managed to get an A2 in it. The course is relatively short, especially if you do Biology, and there is a lot of choice in the actual paper. That said, the project is quite a bit of work but it's very helpful in achieving a high grade if you're willing to go the extra mile with it!

I'm actually strongly considering doing this. What's involved in the project, and can you make it up or do you actually have to go off to some farm?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭mufflets2

Agricultural science is easy and has a lot of common sense, can easily be done in a year , I did it on my own and got a b

I'm actually strongly considering doing this. What's involved in the project, and can you make it up or do you actually have to go off to some farm?

:mad:

Yes you have to go to a farm, and you have to do the project and experiments under the supervision of an ag science teacher who signs off on the project to say you did the work and they grade your project. You can't just make it up.

:mad:

Yes you have to go to a farm, and you have to do the project and experiments under the supervision of an ag science teacher who signs off on the project to say you did the work and they grade your project. You can't just make it up.

Ah right, I think I'll give it a miss so. My own subjects aren't too bad at the moment and I have 7 so I'll just focus on them. If there was a short written exam only subject I would consider it.

Ah right, I think I'll give it a miss so. My own subjects aren't too bad at the moment and I have 7 so I'll just focus on them. If there was a short written exam only subject I would consider it.

All Leaving Cert courses are designed to be two years long. That is the point of them. Why would there be a short course?

• Advertisement

All Leaving Cert courses are designed to be two years long. That is the point of them. Why would there be a short course?

They may be designed to be two years long but that doesn't mean they're all created equal. Some courses are very theory heavy (Biology/Business/History) and take 2 years of rote learning whereas others like Chemistry/Economics/Applied Maths take less than 2 years to complete but are more about understanding and applying knowledge.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 272 ✭✭alaskayoung

The project is a big enough task but it makes up 25% of your overall grade so it needs to have a lot of effort put into it. I probably spent at least twice the amount of time doing the ag science project than I did studying for the actual exam (not recommended) but I learned a lot from doing it and from visiting the farms during that time. I know people who did their project without ever setting foot on a farm but if you want a high grade you need to show that you've made the effort to get as much agricultural experience as possible through your project. Lots of photographs taken by yourself.

I took up Ag Science to allow me to drop down to OL English. I knew all along that I wouldn't be counting it so for me it was a good decision. Personally, I found the subject very interesting. Despite living in the countryside surrounded by farms I was completely ignorant and couldn't have told you a single thing about them. So for that reason, I really enjoyed doing the project and the subject in general. I'd recommend it 100% if you're taking it up for the right reasons and you have an interest in the subject :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 662 ✭✭✭aimzLc2

I recommend economics , I took it up when I repeated and it is definitely manageable.Personally, I had plenty of time to finish the course and then had extra time to go over everything/do exam questions again, it is quite a short course.It is theory based with some graphs involved and answers are usually bullet points/paragraphs so if that suits you , you shouldn't find the subject too difficult!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,745 ✭✭✭Macavity.

I think the majority of subjects are doable in a year provided you know what you are doing (what revision books to get etc.) but I can only really comment with certainty on the subjects I did. I think Geography, Biology, Economics and Business can all be covered in a year. Although, I would stay away from Business and Economics as they are difficult subjects to get the A in, although it is possible of course. :pac:

Geography and Biology would be the main ones I would advise for points maximisation though. If I was to do the LC again I would choose to do them outside of school, as an A1 is extremely doable in those subjects, even studying them on your own IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Japanese Lessons

Japanese- if dedicated.
    The course is 2 years long

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,888 ✭✭✭9de5q7tsr8u2im

is japanese difficult to learn i'm quite surprised people do take the subject and study it :L

Advertisement