Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Stones/slabs in garden of rented hosue?

Options
  • 20-08-2014 10:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭

Reluctanly I will have to keep my rental property for another year. Last time the tenants would not let me or any gardener go into the house - terraced house - to cut the back garden - it became so overgrown when they left that it cost over e1000 to fix it - they had a lawn mower, but would not use it.

Now, I am thinking of getting the area at the back stones or slabbed? What do people think - the cose is e1800 for stones and e2300 for slabs - I am leanring towards the stones more as I like them better, but there are a lot of ferral cats that the neighbour behind me feeds, which poo in our garden, so I think it might be easier to clean slabs because of this. What do people think? Would appreciate opinions/comments.

Very reluctant and stressed landlord!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,535 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Hannaho wrote: »
    Reluctanly I will have to keep my rental property for another year. Last time the tenants would not let me or any gardener go into the house - terraced house - to cut the back garden - it became so overgrown when they left that it cost over e1000 to fix it - they had a lawn mower, but would not use it.

Now, I am thinking of getting the area at the back stones or slabbed? What do people think - the cose is e1800 for stones and e2300 for slabs - I am leanring towards the stones more as I like them better, but there are a lot of ferral cats that the neighbour behind me feeds, which poo in our garden, so I think it might be easier to clean slabs because of this. What do people think? Would appreciate opinions/comments.

Very reluctant and stressed landlord!

Put it in the lease that they have to cut the grass. Give them a lawn mower. If they don't take the cost out of the deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

ted1 wrote: »
    Put it in the lease that they have to cut the grass. Give them a lawn mower. If they don't take the cost out of the deposit.

I agree, a lot of tenants, particularly if its a family rental like to have a garden. Keep it simple to maintain, just lawn, no flower beds.

• Registered Users Posts: 312 ✭✭Gasherbraun

It should be in any standard lease that tenants are responsible for cutting the grass. Allowing the problem to get to the point where it costs €1000.00 to correct is a dilapidation and should have been deducted from deposit. Even more so when as a landlord you had made efforts to rectify this but been refused access.

I am aware that a tenant can refuse access legally.

Re paving; you say you are having to 'reluctantly' rent for another year. If it is your intention to sell after the year consider what will add value to the property - a family friendly garden or paving.

For what it's worth I would say the actions of your previous tenants are unusual and most reasonable people would welcome their grass being cut for them.

Advertisement