Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malky Mackay and Iain Moody Investigated By The FA - Read Mod Note in OP

• 20-08-2014 11:38pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/article-2730307/Malky-Mackay-Iain-Moody-investigated-FA-sexist-racist-homophobic-text-messages-time-Cardiff.html

b1bc5b9693c56a524b15d4dde7101fbb.png
    In July 2012, Cardiff signed South Korean international Kim Bo-kyung, but when Moody informed Mackay on July 12 that ‘five of the b******s including the player’ were arriving for talks, the reply from Mackay’s phone was: ‘Fkn chinkys.’ A further message says: ‘Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.’

In reference to the prominent football agent, Phil Smith, a text states: ‘Go on, fat Phil. Nothing like a Jew that sees money slipping through his fingers’. The Israeli club, Maccabi Tel Aviv, are also referred to simply as ‘the Jews’.

A football official at another club is referred to as ‘a gay snake’ and ‘the homo’ and someone who is ‘not to be trusted’, while a French player is someone ‘who struck me as an independently minded young homo’.

An exchange with a young player who has a female agent makes reference to a sex act and states: ‘I hope she’s looking after your needs,’ the player is then told. ‘I bet you’d love a bounce on her falsies.’

On August 16, 2012, a list of players proposed by a French agent is forwarded, stating to Mackay that ‘he needs to rename his agency the All Blacks’. A separate text in reference to a list of French players states: ‘Not many white faces amongst that lot but worth considering.’

In a separate exchange a picture entitled ‘Black Monopoly’ is sent, with every square a ‘Go To Jail’ square. Of one African player, it is stated: ‘Doesn’t look like a good cv. And he’s Nigerian.’

Crystal Palace have now withdrawn their contract offer to Mackay.

No wonder both parties apologised to Tan the same day they learned that Cardiff had possession of the above. Mackay with his £7.5m wrongful dismissal claim against Cardiff at the time :pac:

Tan certainly picked the right time to get his own back.

MOD EDIT: Lads, this story is obviously going to generate a lot of discussion today, but keep the personal abuse of people out of it. You can discuss the ramifications without throwing names around, ok?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,348 ✭✭✭✭ricero

scumbag

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭TheTownie

s_38_107__tedracist.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,373 ✭✭✭✭Oat23

If those messages are true - Scumbags. Hope Mackay never gets work again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Christ that's mad. His managerial career already over I'd say if proven true.

Knew there was something funny with the u-turn of him not being named manager. I wonder what former teammates would say, wonder was he like that as a player too?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Considering where Cardiff were in the league, a lot of people were shocked that he was sacked.

If all that is true, it makes a lot more sense now.....

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 4,726 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzovision

article-0-188B372D00000578-666_634x405.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭yohan the great

So Vincent Tan is the good guy, who would've thunk it

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,033 ✭✭✭✭Richard Hillman

Vindication for a lot of posters in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86943835

The "Football People" all rallied around Mackay and portrayed Tan as a madman.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

Outrageous stuff, makes a lot of sense though with regards to his sacking.

Must send my own apologies to Vincent Tan for thinking of him as a f***ing idiot every time the camera showed him since he sacked Mackay :pac:

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Kirby wrote: »
    Considering where Cardiff were in the league, a lot of people were shocked that he was sacked.

If all that is true, it makes a lot more sense now.....

I was pretty critical of the sacking at the time. Fully deserved and more so if these are true.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement

Vindication for a lot of posters in this thread
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=86943835

The "Football People" all rallied around Mackay and portrayed Tan as a madman.

Bit short sighted to say that. Unless you actually knew about all this it was all fair questioning of his sacking. Hindsight is easily gloatable.

If Cardiff knew about all this why didn't they come out all this time?

But was he sacked by Cardiff because of these messages or was it to do with something else?

Doesn't make sense that he'd go looking for compensation at all if he knew they had the messages.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,672 ✭✭✭ScummyMan

Oat23 wrote: »
    If those messages are true - Scumbags. Hope Mackay never gets work again.

Seriously? A bit of an overreaction if you ask me, its obviously just a few joking texts between them sent in what they thought was a private conversation. Not hilarious ill give you, but never get a job again? Come down from the moral high ground imo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

It was pretty obvious a few months ago that with Mackay withdrawing his claim and apologising to Tan after all that happened before that something had gone on. I didn't think it would be anything like this though.

Tan has played a blinder with his leaking of this stuff to the press. A day before Mackay was expected to sign as Palace manager. Fantastic. :pac:

Mackay spent a relative fortune in getting Cardiff promoted, spent a lot of money on complete ****e in the Premier League and was only 2 points off relegation when he was eventually sacked. Where did his reputation for being a decent manager even come from anyway?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Vincent Tan isn't looking like the crazy man the media portrayed him as now, nor Mackay the saint he supposedly was.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭Christy Browne

Seriously? A bit of an overreaction if you ask me, its obviously just a few joking texts between them sent in what they thought was a private conversation. Not hilarious ill give you, but never get a job again? Come down from the moral high ground imo.

I'm confident he'll never work again. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all very serious things, not to be joked about.

I'm confident he'll never work again. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all very serious things, not to be joked about.

Andy Gray was nearly run out of the country for just demonstrating one of them.

All three at once? Mackay is toast.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

Corholio wrote: »
    B

They could have been saving it for a time like this?

Let it go for long enough so Mackay thinks it's all water under the bridge and can move on, only for Tan and co. to get straight on to the press with the leak to get his own back on Mackay for assisting in damaging his name.

Though people shouldn't forget that Tan did make some ridiculous decisions too. I certainly don't think he comes out of it looking like a hero, but if he did keep this and choose to leak it just as Mackay was about to sign for Palace then that's a genius piece of revenge. :pac:

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,535 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

No chance he gets a managerial job with a semi-reputable club again.

Bit short sighted to say that. Unless you actually knew about all this it was all fair questioning of his sacking. Hindsight is easily gloatable.

People were not questioning the sacking, they were calling Tan a lunatic. The people on the thread were questioning the unanimous support that Mackay was getting.

• Advertisement

Paully D wrote: »
    They could have been saving it for a time like this?

Let it go for long enough so Mackay thinks it's all water under the bridge and can move on, only for Tan and co. to get straight on to the press with the leak to get his own back on Mackay for assisting in damaging his name.

Though people shouldn't forget that Tan did make some ridiculous decisions too.

Very true, well played by Cardiff in that case then.

It's sort of funny that he's still more employable than Tim Sherwood. :P Gotta feel for the guy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,196 ✭✭✭✭RobbingBandit

What goes on behind closed doors is amazing sometimes, look at Big Ron getting caught on mic calling Marcel Desailly something unspeakable, he had many black players at Man Utd and Aston Villa, shocking if this stuff is true but not really as it must be rampant amongst the old school crowd still about as managers and board members of clubs.

People were not questioning the sacking, they were calling Tan a lunatic. The people on the thread were questioning the unanimous support that Mackay was getting.

As Paully said, it doesn't wipe the bizarre things Tan did either. At the time there wasn't much evidence, barring one expensive flop, for Tan to sack Mackay. The horror show under Solksjaer shows Mackay, least in football terms, wasn't doing the worst job in the world.

As Paully said, it doesn't wipe the bizarre things Tan did either. At the time there wasn't much evidence, barring one expensive flop, for Tan to sack Mackay. The horror show under Solksjaer shows Mackay, least in football terms, wasn't doing the worst job in the world.

But he wasn't sacked for poor results, he was sacked because of this and rightly so

• Registered Users Posts: 7,056 ✭✭✭darced

This post has been deleted.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,719 ✭✭✭dundalkfc10

The Daily Mail? Is this the only evidence of this?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,477 ✭✭✭✭Knex*

Christ. Fairly surprised by this.

Guy should be lucky to get a job again.

But he wasn't sacked for poor results, he was sacked because of this and rightly so

Yes of course, but we didn't know that at the time, so questioning of the sacking was a pretty understandable thing to do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,380 ✭✭✭daRobot

Personally I don't see the big deal with those messages. Poor taste, yes. But they're obvious jokes and I don't see any real hatred there (not like Ron Atkinsons comments)

People need to get a fcuking grip, they're football people, not Eton educated politicians. They made a few tasteless comments in a private conversation, and I really don't see the big deal.

But it'll still be a circus.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

But was he sacked by Cardiff because of these messages or was it to do with something else?

Doesn't make sense that he'd go looking for compensation at all if he knew they had the messages.

I agree here. Wasn't it that he was sacked for overspending?

Tan is only the good guy so to speak if this was the reason he was sacked. You'd have to wonder when Cardiff found out.

What bizarre things?

And before you say change the Jersey colour, people have been changing Jersey colours since football began right up to now a days.

daRobot wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the big deal with those messages. Poor taste, yes. But they're obvious jokes and I don't see any real hatred there (not like Ron Atkinsons comments)

People need to get a fcuking grip, they're football people, not Eton educated politicians. They made a few tasteless comments in a private conversation, and I really don't see the big deal.

But it'll still be a circus.

I kinda agree with you although we're just leaving ourselves open to abuse :P

The messages were clearly in bad taste but at the end of the day they were private messages between two friends. It's a completely different scenario to Andy Gray and Richard Keys sexually harassing colleagues.

Unless he was acting in a racist/homophobic/sexist/whatever manner to others then his colleagues etc. would've had no reason to complain and from a legal standpoint I can't see where he'd be vulnerable?

Can't see many clubs wanting to be associated with him after this though but I'll be interested to see 1. If the messages have been leaked by Vincent Tan and 2. If Mackay reopens his compensation claim against Cardiff City.

(Not defending him by the way, just offering an alternative viewpoint)

dfx- wrote: »
    I agree here. Wasn't it that he was sacked for overspending?

Tan is only the good guy so to speak if this was the reason he was sacked. You'd have to wonder when Cardiff found out.

Yeah because it doesn't make sense that he'd be sacked over this, then look for compensation and then suddenly drop his claim?

Seems more plausible that he was sacked by Tan for football-related reasons. Then Cardiff became aware of these messages around the time that he drops his compensation claim all of a sudden and publicly apologizes and now when he looks for a new job, the messages "happen" to be leaked.

All just speculation though... Can't research it at the minute.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Well he's screwed if these are proven true. I know jokes like these go on the whole time but your managerial reputation will be shot if things like this come out. A lot of players will take offence and clubs will see it as unwanted baggage and media attention.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,009 ✭✭✭kronsington

Sky Sports News will be creaming themselves with this... Vince McMahon and the WWE couldn't have come up with a better storyline. Some heel turn out of Mackay!

Bizarre timing, so close to being signed as Palace manager. No doubt the papers will be loving this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,605 ✭✭✭Fizman

How would Tan and co have come across these?

The content obviouslt reflects very poorly on Mackay........but it was a private conversation.

If my family or work colleagues ever found out what kind of stuff is spoken about/posted in my private WhatsApp groups with mates (albeit not particularly racist/homophobic etc), I'd be sacked / disowned as would the rest of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 998 ✭✭✭Kingdom

Just on the Ron Atkinson comment, I always thought Ron was a huge supporter of black footballers, and black rights, just wasn't au fait with what is/isn't acceptable terminology. He never seems to have had any nastiness towards black people. Or am I wide of the mark?

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Bizarre timing, so close to being signed as Palace manager. No doubt the papers will be loving this.

Thats exactly what makes it not bizarre timing

• Advertisement

Fizman wrote: »
    How would Tan and co have come across these?

The content obviouslt reflects very poorly on Mackay........but it was a private conversation.

If my family or work colleagues ever found out what kind of stuff is spoken about/posted in my private WhatsApp groups with mates (albeit not particularly racist/homophobic etc), I'd be sacked / disowned as would the rest of them.

I only glanced but from what I gathered,

Cardiff were investigating 8 controversial transfers, during the investigation they came across the messages with Malky Mackay that are in question. Under FA rules if a club aware of any misconduct such as racism, sexism, and homophobia etc they have to report it to the FA. Cardiff then sent a letter to the FA to notify them of the behaviour. Apparently Malky and Moody weren't aware of this until earlier this year.

FA and Cardiff FC are refusing to comment on the incident.

You would have to question who leaked it at this time so close to his appointment at Palace. Could be the paper had been sitting on it for a while and wanted to use it when it would gain more views, and what better than him being appointed as a new manager. Just my opinion though.

Thats exactly what makes it not bizarre timing

Yeah at first I thought maybe Cardiff football club and FA had brought it up, but from what it looks like FA and Cardiff have known for a while and it was the papers who brought it up now. Makes sense now!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭Bounty Hunter

Bloody hell he doesent discriminate in his racism does he, black, asian, Jewish, women, gay he will have a go at them all. Tempted to add an if its true but tbh I think either way he isn't getting another job at any kind of decent club after this.

Bloody hell he doesent discriminate in his racism does he, black, asian, Jewish, women, gay he will have a go at them all. Tempted to add an if its true but tbh I think either way he isn't getting another job at any kind of decent club after this.

If he just has a go at a few white lads then it'll not longer be racism or sexism or anything like that... He'll just be a pr*ck in general :D

I'd be interested to hear whether or not he was actively prejudiced against Asian/Black players etc. or was he just saying these things in private and only that.

Surely he couldn't have been anti-everyone :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭Fromvert

So this makes him eh ...... Scottish?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,017 ✭✭✭TheMilkyPirate

Cardiff youth player ibraham farah has spoken out about mackay on Twitter pretty damning if true

Phone is acting the bollox so can't link tweets but just search his name you will find them handy enough

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

Adamocovic wrote: »

The papers, yeah. Some journalists might not be so delighted though, a lot of them bent over backwards defending Mackay against Tan.

The "Tan Talks Malky" part of this video is very interesting now.

"I'm the zero, he's the hero, tomorrow this will reverse when the truth comes out. I assure you."

Don't mess with Vincent Tan!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

Says some of the texts were sent to Cardiff staff so not exactly private texts.

"Assuming" its a company /club phone he was using, well they are not private texts on that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Love the logic of some, changing jersey colours is a felony but this behaviour is just "banter"...

Malcolm off to Al Jazeera Sports????

efb wrote: »
    Love the logic of some, changing jersey colours is a felony but this behaviour is just "banter"...

Malcolm off to Al Jazeera Sports????

The vast vast majority think his reported remarks are disgusting.

• Advertisement
Advertisement