Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malky Mackay and Iain Moody Investigated By The FA - Read Mod Note in OP

Comments

Some of the stuff is merely offensive, the references to "dogs" or "falsies". And if it appeared in texts between 2 men, not sure it adds much.

But some of the stuff, "fkn chinkys", "nothing like a Jew seeing money slip through his fingers", the "Black Monopoly" text sent to staff, some of the claims by Farah, go way beyond that.

I don't think the "well, it's a private text" rescues him at all. This is not 2 fellows in a pub, he was a manager of a club where he had a position of responsibility to players and staff from many backgrounds, and sending such texts while in that position? It's incredible.

^^
    Yeah, that's it in a nutshell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭dahat

Vincent Tan really did lay the smack down on Mackay, will likely never work again in soccer.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,012 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Tbh, I wouldn't believe Tan or the Daily Mail if they told me the sky was blue. A guy with an axe to grind against a former employee leaking stuff to prevent him getting a job isn't a decent thing to do, so wouldn't surprise me if he just made it all up and sent it to some tabloid journalists who'd print anything. Damage is done, and hard to shake a label like those afterwards

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,631 ✭✭✭✭Hank Scorpio

Wouldn't say there's a chance it's made up, Tan would be in serious bother for defamation etc. A businessman like him would be smart enough to know that

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭Mr Alan

Mad stuff.

Some of the comments are relatively harmless, however some of them are dodgy as ****. Taking into account they were presumably sent from a work phone in which case he is a fool and deserves everything he gets.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,366 ✭✭✭✭8-10

titan18 wrote: »
    Tbh, I wouldn't believe Tan or the Daily Mail if they told me the sky was blue.

He's probably planning on changing it to red anyway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,207 ✭✭✭Hangballlouie

• Moderators, Regional North East Moderators Posts: 12,739 Mod ✭✭✭✭cournioni

I'm confident he'll never work again. Racism, sexism and homophobia are all very serious things, not to be joked about.
    Yup, not the attributes one would like to see in their manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,196 ✭✭✭PaulieC

Some of the stuff is merely offensive, the references to "dogs" or "falsies". And if it appeared in texts between 2 men, not sure it adds much.
    But some of the stuff, "fkn chinkys", "nothing like a Jew seeing money slip through his fingers", the "Black Monopoly" text sent to staff, some of the claims by Farah, go way beyond that.

TBH I can't see any difference in the levels of racism here. The first example make fun of Koreans because they eat dogs. The second makes fun of Jews because they like money. To my mind, both are equally racist.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Can we curb the abuse a small bit lads, all thats being reported is pretty low, to say the least but lets try stay on the other side of abuse, thanks.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

GavRedKing wrote: »
    Can we curb the abuse a small bit lads, all thats being reported is pretty low, to say the least but lets try stay on the other side of abuse, thanks.

Is that addressed to us or Malky Mackay?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 53,262 ✭✭✭✭GavRedKing

Is that addressed to us or Malky Mackay?

As far as I'm aware he isnt on Boards but the Soccer charter doesnt allow abuse so its a friendly reminder to all to tone it down a wee bit.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,785 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

The Daily Mail? Is this the only evidence of this?

Apart from the actual texts?

No, there's no other evidence....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,334 ✭✭✭Ardent

I wouldn't say his career is over with those comments. He might get a job in Italy or Spain.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 10,325 ✭✭✭✭Dozen Wicked Words

Wonderfully naive of people here who think he wont work again in football. Maybe you're all right, hope you are, but footballers convicted of killing people with their cars, assaulting women, even raping women getting work suggests otherwise. Lots of rumours about current managers being wife beaters too.

Clubs are happy to re-sign very average players, no reason why they won't hire very average manager.

PaulieC wrote: »
    TBH I can't see any difference in the levels of racism here. The first example make fun of Koreans because they eat dogs. The second makes fun of Jews because they like money. To my mind, both are equally racist.

I assumed the references to "dogs" was about women rather than Koreans?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,296 ✭✭✭✭gimmick

I assumed the references to "dogs" was about women rather than Koreans?

Now who is the racist I wonder!??

Wonderfully naive of people here who think he wont work again in football. Maybe you're all right, hope you are, but footballers convicted of killing people with their cars, assaulting women, even raping women getting work suggests otherwise. Lots of rumours about current managers being wife beaters too.

Clubs are happy to re-sign very average players, no reason why they won't hire very average manager.
    You could be right, but it doesn't make his search for a job in football easy in any way. People who are running clubs will be aware of the possibility that employing Mackay may not only damage the image of their club, but it may drive female staff, gay players or players of a different ethnicity or race away from the club and players may refuse to sign for a club with him in charge.

That instability will not be attractive to those potential employers.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

He'll work in football again alright, but I think most people are saying he's going to find it hard to get a job with a decent club.

Most clubs won't want the baggage and extra media around them for appointing a manager with that sort of image now. Most boards won't give the backing to him if they feel his presence will upset fans/players/staff, dampen the image of the club and bring an unwanted media hype.

Not many clubs will want to take the risk involved with him so I think we can all agree this will make his chances of managing in the Premiership again very tough.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,996 ✭✭✭Duck Soup

The tweets, referred to by TheMilkyPirate, by ex-Cardiff youth player Ibrahim Farah (Farah was let go by the club this summer) read as follows. They've since been deleted from his Twitter feed. Sounds like a bit more than jokes and private phone chit-chat were at the heart of Mackay's behaviour and attitudes.

All the Ibrahim Farah tweets in full below:

Malky mackay is racist wish the people at cardiff city seen it sooner
    — Ibrahim Farah (@Ibby_Farah) August 20, 2014

Malky mackay always use to call me a wee Egyptian and laugh his head of no one knows what happens behind the scenes in football clubs

At the time when your a young pro no one will listen. People would listen to the manager and not me so I chose to keep my mouth shut

But karma has caught up with him #evil #man

Every manager has his views on his players I wasn't his type of player but to treat certain player on how he did at cardiff was disgusting

Oxford away a young Somali boy was at the gates and Malky shouted look at that black Somali kid at the gates, look it's ibby brother

He then started laughing him and coaching staff

And no I'm not Egyptian I'm welsh and I'm my parents are from somaliland

For the people saying why didn't he be like that to Campbell Maynard caullker etc there established players the young black players at...
    — Ibrahim Farah (@Ibby_Farah) August 21, 2014

...Cardiff were treated poor by malky and his coaching staff we were scared to speak around him let alone ask him for help on the training pit
    — Ibrahim Farah (@Ibby_Farah) August 21, 2014

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

This pretty much.

Once the media rage dies down in a few months or a year he'll be back working in the game again.His bargaining position wages wise will have gone way down too,so I'd imagine a lot more clubs will be interested in his services as well.

Its obvious that there is no morality in football,can't believe people still think there is tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

I disagree, the reputation and public standing of a manager is far more important than a player. The manager has much more responsibility as the face of the club and the spokesperson of the club.

He might well work again but he'll have to take a demotion to the Championship at best, maybe League One.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 829 ✭✭✭smellmepower

Ormus wrote: »
    I disagree, the reputation and public standing of a manager is far more important than a player. The manager has much more responsibility as the face of the club and the spokesperson of the club.

He might well work again but he'll have to take a demotion to the Championship at best, maybe League One.

Terry Venables got up to all sorts of illegal ****e in the 80's and 90's and he was the assistant England manager a while back.Harry Redknapp is still a Premier League manager after all the dodgy stuff he was at.Same for Allardyce.Desperate chairmen only care about their clubs,and money at the end of the day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Venables was the main man at Euro 96

Terry Venables got up to all sorts of illegal ****e in the 80's and 90's and he was the assistant England manager a while back.Harry Redknapp is still a Premier League manager after all the dodgy stuff he was at.Same for Allardyce.Desperate chairmen only care about their clubs,and money at the end of the day.
    How much of that directly affected clubs/players though? Racism/homophobia/sexism might cause players and staff to leave or not join.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,846 ✭✭✭Moneymaker

daRobot wrote: »
    Personally I don't see the big deal with those messages. Poor taste, yes. But they're obvious jokes and I don't see any real hatred there (not like Ron Atkinsons comments)

People need to get a fcuking grip, they're football people, not Eton educated politicians. They made a few tasteless comments in a private conversation, and I really don't see the big deal.

But it'll still be a circus.

He was the manager of a professional football club at the highest level in English football.

That job requires a certain level of class and professionalism, no?

Private comments or not, joking or not, his behavior is deplorable.

Moneymaker wrote: »
    He was the manager of a professional football club at the highest level in English football.

That job requires a certain level of class and professionalism, no?

Private comments or not, joking or not, his behavior is deplorable.

Richard Scudamore, Premier League Chief Executive thinks this post is funny. (probably)

Edit: I think you are spot on, top flight professional football clearly isn't that fussed though.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

This is Malky Mackay we're talking about here, not Rinus Michels. A journeyman manager who's level is yo-yo club at best. I can't see there being a desperate scramble for his services in any case, and this circus surrounding him could make it just not worth the hassle in employing him, and clubs will look else where, just like Palace have. He's ten a penny in managerial circles.

The 3 names you mention have proven to be successes in international and/or domestic football over a number of years and have been worth whatever baggage they may have brung to the table due to their successes on the field.

Incidently, what illegal/dodgy activity has Allardyse gotten up to? I'm not aware of anything.

Steve Evans currently managing in Championship is convicted criminal (of fraud at another football club) who exposes himself to women. Plenty of people wanted his services.

Generally Football really isn't that moral or fussy about who it employs.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,537 ✭✭✭joseph brand

When I heard his name on the radio I was hoping that he wasn't Irish.

Not really surprised to hear that he's Scottish. /phew

It looks like he's only suited to managing an 'all white' team. Even then, he may not take kindly to us 'paddies', 'micks' or whatever derogatory name he may have for us.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,913 ✭✭✭Ormus

Yep, El Tel got work with England again, but he had to leave the England manager's job and never worked at the highest level again.

'Arry is a Premier League manager but he doesn't get talked about for the England job anymore.

You can see the pattern.

But both of those you named were in trouble for financial dodgy dealings. Racism is a different kettle of fish. See Atkinson, Ron.

Desperate chairmen care about their clubs. Their club is a brand. They don't want racism being part of their brand.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,001 ✭✭✭recylingbin

Releasing the private correspondence between two people who seem to be exchanging flippant messages?
    Poor form from Cardiff

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Releasing the private correspondence between two people who seem to be exchanging flippant messages?
    Poor form from Cardiff

Well under FA rules if they discover any poor conduct of staff members they are obliged to send it to the FA. So any records of racist,sexist and homophobic messages must be sent.

Papers caught wind of it and led with the story. Wouldn't exactly blame Cardiff for this.

• Registered Users Posts: 848 ✭✭✭Muff_Daddy

Adamocovic wrote: »
    Well under FA rules if they discover any poor conduct of staff members they are obliged to send it to the FA. So any records of racist,sexist and homophobic messages must be sent.

Papers caught wind of it and led with the story. Wouldn't exactly blame Cardiff for this.

If that is the case, why are the FA only investigating Mackay now? Surely the FA would have acted immediately upon Cardiff reporting it, and well before the rags got wind of the story. The timing does seem a bit suspicions, all out in the open just before he's about to take a new job.

Neither Cardiff nor Mackay come out of this looking good IMO.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Cardiff come out of it smelling of roses. Manager makes racist/sexist/homophobic comments in private. Club still sacks him with money/performance being irrelevant.

True or not, that's the narrative and Cardiff and it's owner are the big winners here.

Adamocovic wrote: »

Aren't private messages exactly that, private?
    Is andy coulson working for them now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Aren't private messages exactly that, private?
    Is andy coulson working for them now?

Er, some of the messages were sent to everyone at the club. Even ignoring the racist elements of the Monopoly thing, it's not even remotely funny.

Imagine if someone posted that over in the humour thread...

keith16 wrote: »
    Er, some of the messages were sent to everyone at the club. Even ignoring the racist elements of the Monopoly thing, it's not even remotely funny.

Imagine if someone posted that over in the humour thread...
    I'm not condoning what he said. Just pointing out that releasing the private correspondance of individuals is poor form.
    Some of the messages...
    How did they get their hands on the others?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,205 ✭✭✭Lucas Hood

Moody has resigned.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,558 ✭✭✭✭dreamers75

I'm not condoning what he said. Just pointing out that releasing the private correspondance of individuals is poor form.
    Some of the messages...

Company phones so not private correspondence, Im sure Cardiff have a phone usage policy which explicitly states its not a personal phone and all calls/texts are recorded.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Lesson I've learnt today:

It's ok to be a racist/chauvinist pig as long as it's just with your friends

Thanks boards!!!

CSF wrote: »

Thanks boards!!!

Who posted that then?

CSF wrote: »

Thanks boards!!!
    Some of my best friends are racists, chauvinists, friends, etc...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Who posted that then?

It's all over the thread

'Its just a text between friends'

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

Some of the messages...

Deffo. But it appears this was done on club time. Totally unacceptable. I don't send anything personal / private from my work phone / laptop. These things and the data they contain are the properties of my employer. They may well have got their hands on them just by reading the data on their mail / messenging server which they are perfectly entitled to do.

Agree that it's an altogether different story if it was from his private phone or whatever, but still.

Black Monopoly....FFS.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,463 ✭✭✭Kiwi_knock

The League Managers Association has come to Mackay's defence http://www.leaguemanagers.com/news/news-7418.html
    In the course of a search by the Club in early 2014 of 10,000 private text messages sent to and from another member of staff during Mr Mackay’s employment at Cardiff, in relation to other matters, it emerged that Malky had, it seems, sent a couple of one line texts that were, with the benefit of hindsight, very regrettable and disrespectful of other cultures. These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.
    The LMA does not condone in any way any potential breach of equal opportunities laws but would also point out that out of over 10,000 text messages and 70,000 documents produced over a long period of time it may not be a complete surprise that some inappropriate comments can sometimes be made by employees, like Malky, working under great pressure in highly charged situations.

No surprise to see the LMA defend him, they defend every action of a manager.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,342 ✭✭✭✭That_Guy

LMA..... O

Embarrassing statement and totally ill advised.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,225 ✭✭✭✭J. Marston

These were two text messages sent in private at a time Malky felt under great pressure and when he was letting off steam to a friend during some friendly text message banter.

I knew they'd use the B word.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

Mackay claiming he only sent 2 text messages and that a lot of the rest isn't true at all. Not that 2 is fine or anything, of course not, but if he is to be baited it should be done with the truth. It'll be interesting to see where it develops.

• Advertisement
Advertisement