Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Malky Mackay and Iain Moody Investigated By The FA - Read Mod Note in OP

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,561 ✭✭✭✭CSF

Poor form by the LMA. They're letting down a lot more of the people they're supposed to represent than the one they're protecting.

If you're one of these people that days 'awh sure we all say these things with our mates' then you and your mates are probably dickheads too (not directed at anyone in particular before I get allegations of abuse)

• Registered Users Posts: 305 ✭✭Ajfunky

CSF wrote: »
    Poor form by the LMA. They're letting down a lot more of the people they're supposed to represent than the one they're protecting.

If you're one of these people that days 'awh sure we all say these things with our mates' then you and your mates are probably dickheads too (not directed at anyone in particular before I get allegations of abuse)

Exactly, quite easy to not be a xenophobe these days. Its medieval that we are still having to deal with Scum like Malky and the people coming to his defense.

Ajfunky wrote: »
    Exactly, quite easy to not be a xenophobe these days. Its medieval that we are still having to deal with Scum like Malky and the people coming to his defense.

Like I'm not even saying that we are whiter than white (apt phrase), but there is a massive difference between a joke with a punchline that even those on the receiving end could see the funny side of (this would be my definition of banter), and nasty abuse (I don't get how this gets construed as banter)

How is anyone supposed to see these quotes as banter and how could anyone openly admit to saying the same things to their friends and hold their heads up high

Releasing the private correspondence between two people who seem to be exchanging flippant messages?
    Poor form from Cardiff

I think it's a good thing to out people who engage in that sort of behaviour.

Obviously their reasons for doing that aren't entirely pure but that's another thing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,406 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

Did the LMA actually release that statement?

haha_ohwow.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭keith16

LuckyLloyd wrote: »
    Did the LMA actually release that statement?

I know.

"With the benefit of hindsight..."

What a joke....the benefit of hindsight that his comments would be placed in the public domain for all and sundry to see exactly the type of racist, homophobic person he is. Sure, very regrettable in that context.

"Only with hindsight could we see that it is offensive to....well, take your pick"

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

Very surprised the LMA defended him so strongly.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,014 ✭✭✭✭Corholio

It's a crazy statement if all that came out was actually true, however Mackay is insinuating that it's not all true, as they mentioned just 2 texts. He deserves everything he gets if it's all seemed to be true but hopefully they haven't muddied the waters with false stuff either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Why?

Unions always support their members, the rights or wrong of their members actions rarely come into it

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

LiamoSail wrote: »
    Why?

Unions always support their members, the rights or wrong of their members actions rarely come into it

Genuinely thought they'd try and distance themselves from it, doesn't look good to defend this sort of thing. I guess I was being a bit naive though.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,294 ✭✭✭LiamoSail

Genuinely thought they'd try and distance themselves from it, doesn't look good to defend this sort of thing. I guess I was being a bit naive though.

Its a perfect example of one of the things that frustrates me most about unions in general. They think they're doing a member a service by supporting him, when in reality what they're doing is a disservice to the majority of their decent members.

The same pattern occurs regularly with many unions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

Corholio wrote: »
    It's a crazy statement if all that came out was actually true, however Mackay is insinuating that it's not all true, as they mentioned just 2 texts. He deserves everything he gets if it's all seemed to be true but hopefully they haven't muddied the waters with false stuff either.
    It has been a clever manipulation of public opinion by listing out the offending texts. Bite size content that is easy for people to consume and is taken out of the context of the article.
    In July 2012, Cardiff signed South Korean international Kim Bo-kyung, but when Moody informed Mackay on July 12 that ‘five of the b******s including the player’ were arriving for talks, the reply from Mackay’s phone was: ‘Fkn chinkys.’ A further message says: ‘Fk it. There’s enough dogs in Cardiff for us all to go around.’
    That is the only message that is explicitly identified as being from Mackay. The message after it may also be his.
    The letters to the FA make reference to the following alleged offensive communications between Moody, Mackay and others
    The leak was obviously targeted to smear Mackay. Moody was going to have to step down anyway due to his role in obtaining Cardiff's tactics and starting line-up for Tony Pulis last season. And of course the others haven't been named.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,665 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

Vincent Tan is a genius.

In the space of a day he's metamorphosed from a buffoon fond of hair dye and wearing his replica jersey tucked into his high waisted pants, to a Machiavellian revenge server backed up by the righteousness of anti-racism, anti-sexism and equality. Has a revenge in the world of football ever been more perfectly planned or worked out to such maximum satisfaction?

Of course it's all a bit murky from both sides and who knows really who really said what to anyone about anything? But I do think Mackay is more or less unemployable now. Football can often be a moral less void, like any other commercial activity under the sun, but I do think if he comes back from this it will be something akin to Lazarus. Times ten.

You can do a lot of things in football and still live to fight another day but he is now associated with being anti-gay,anti-black, anti-Asian, Anti-Semitic and sexist too. That's too much of a negative PR whirlwind for any man to walk away from. He seems to have nothing against the disabled though, at least as far as we can tell. One mark in his favour I suppose.

People have brought up the name of Harry Redknapp as evidence in the case of footballs lack of a moral compass. Please don't forget though Harrys alleged problems were only ever connected to money and I think that means diddly squat in the world of the average English football fan. He's a cheeky chappy, a wheeler dealer, his testimony in court had them in stitches- even the prosecution. You could get into a long argument about which is worse- alleged "money" offences or alleged widespread discrimination but I think in the day to day business of football, it's most definitely the latter. Big Ron is still out of the game after all and never coming back.

This is going to follow Mackay around for the rest of his days and aside from proving he's part Black, Asian, Jewish and at the very least, bi-curious, there isn't much he can do. His public humiliation is going to be one of the sacrificial pyres English football will use to tell us that it's cleaned up it's act. For that I do feel slightly sorry for him. How many of us are Saints that have never said something in private we wouldn't dream of saying publicly in a million years? Then again if I heard someone come out with a barrage of tasteless jokes along the lines we are dealing with here, I'd probably despise them as a human being.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,694 Mod ✭✭✭✭dfx-

Seems more plausible that he was sacked by Tan for football-related reasons. Then Cardiff became aware of these messages around the time that he drops his compensation claim all of a sudden and publicly apologizes and now when he looks for a new job, the messages "happen" to be leaked.

All just speculation though... Can't research it at the minute.

According to the Guardian, it was discovered in March on Moody's phone after a search warrant for a financial paper trial so it had nothing to do with Mackay's sacking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,377 ✭✭✭Smithwicks Man

dfx- wrote: »
    According to the Guardian, it was discovered in March on Moody's phone after a search warrant for a financial paper trial so it had nothing to do with Mackay's sacking.

I thought as much. So based on that, Tan did sack him purely on footballing grounds.

If that's the case then Tan goes back to being clueless and Mackay is surely in a position where he could re-open his compensation claim?

A hint of blackmail involved here or is that too much conspiracy for 03:24 in the morning? :pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,592 ✭✭✭enfant terrible

Arghus wrote: »

This is going to follow Mackay around for the rest of his days and aside from proving he's part Black, Asian, Jewish and at the very least, bi-curious, there isn't much he can do. His public humiliation is going to be one of the sacrificial pyres English football will use to tell us that it's cleaned up it's act. For that I do feel slightly sorry for him. How many of us are Saints that have never said something in private we wouldn't dream of saying publicly in a million years? Then again if I heard someone come out with a barrage of tasteless jokes along the lines we are dealing with here, I'd probably despise them as a human being.

He can't even go down the sex change route now Frank Maloney got there before him.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,863 ✭✭✭kevpants

I'm more surprised they got a 7 year old to write the statement.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

I thought as much. So based on that, Tan did sack him purely on footballing grounds.

If that's the case then Tan goes back to being clueless and Mackay is surely in a position where he could re-open his compensation claim?

A hint of blackmail involved here or is that too much conspiracy for 03:24 in the morning? :pac:

They settled the case so I don't think it's going to re-opened.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

Where's Max Clifford when he's needed? Oh, I just remembered........

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,198 ✭✭✭Talisman

There's a hint of that in the Daily Mail article. The firm who were hired by Cardiff City, Mishcon de Reya, found the correspondences in March and advised Moody and MacKay to inform the FA. Clearly they didn't, or if they did the FA didn't act but judging by Mackay's statement I think it's safe to assume he didn't take the advice. In his defense, it was not his responsibility to do so - he is a member of the LMA and does not report to the FA. As the article explains elsewhere, Cardiff City were required to inform the FA.
    Under FA rules, Cardiff are required to report any matters which may constitute ‘aggravated misconduct’.
    There is no mention of when the FA received the letters. If they were only provided to the FA recently then obviously Cardiff City chose to ignore the FA rules.

Mackay applying for the Crystal Palace job was too good an opportunity for them to smear both him and Moody so the story was leaked to the tabloids.

Mackay was the media hook and has been the focus of the story, but the real story is Moody's dodgy transfer dealings.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,885 ✭✭✭Optimalprimerib

Kinda makes me hope none of the messages I send get printed publicly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,723 ✭✭✭MightyMandarin

One thing I can't understand is how can Mackay be called a racist? If he was racist in any way, surely he wouldn't have signed Frazier Campbell, Caulker etc. Sure Caulker was his captain last year. If he really was racist then maybe he wouldn't have signed, not least made them captain. Fair enough the jokes are bad taste but that doesn't equate to actual racial discrimination.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,640 ✭✭✭theoneeyedman

There are strange morals involved in all this. Tan initially fell out with mckay iirc in relation to allegations of dodgy transfer dealings, and apparent siphoning off of transfer funds etc ( lots of fingers apparently in the Medel deal from Spain iirc). His claims got no purchase in the football media nor amongst 'football people'. He was portrayed as a buffoon Johnny Foreigner type medelling in 'our game' and picking on poor Malaysia, who was portrayed vas some type of latter day Saint figure.
    Now with the leaking of the insulting texts about women, gays and ironically go reigns, a different picture emerges. I'm not going to defend in any way the messages, but it's strange to me that they can destroy careers quicker than allegations of theft, corruption etc involving millions

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 28,710 ✭✭✭✭Paully D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

I can't wait to see all Vincent Tan's emails and texts when they're made public ;)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 473 ✭✭DildoFaggins

If everyones Messages were available to the public everyone would be seen as racist/sick in some way.

It's wrong but as long as he isn't personally discriminating against someone to their face ie. not dealing with a football agent or not playing a certain player purely due to race/sexuality/religion I don't see a problem.

If everyones Messages were available to the public everyone would be seen as racist/sick in some way.

It's wrong but as long as he isn't personally discriminating against someone to their face ie. not dealing with a football agent or not playing a certain player purely due to race/sexuality/religion I don't see a problem.

It was a work phone though wasn't it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

Like their username?????

I don't think I have racist, sexist or homophobic texts - not something I do

Paully D wrote: »

Watching that all I could think off was

areyouright2.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,154 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

rarnes1 wrote: »
    Watching that all I could think off was

areyouright2.jpg

....nor a homophobe

....nor a sexist

....nor an anti semite....

Gonna need to reduce the size of that font methinks!

• Advertisement

It looks like Malky will have to get in front of the cameras again. 3 texts has very rapidly become more:

8f0a015d5200896ef3708c4e8ca9d0da.png

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,996 ✭✭✭✭billymitchell

MacKay would want to start brushing up on his italian if he wants another managerial job

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭miroslavklose

One thing I can't understand is how can Mackay be called a racist? If he was racist in any way, surely he wouldn't have signed Frazier Campbell, Caulker etc. Sure Caulker was his captain last year. If he really was racist then maybe he wouldn't have signed, not least made them captain. Fair enough the jokes are bad taste but that doesn't equate to actual racial discrimination.
    Do you think somebody's not a racist as long as they employ people from other races? Just because he found a use for black players in his team, that doesn't mean he didn't also hold racist views towards them and other races.

No. Just no.

A pervert, perhaps.

A loser, perhaps.

A racist, never.

That's just you by the looks of your above post. Don't speak for us all.

No. Just no.

A pervert, perhaps.

A loser, perhaps.

A racist, never.

That's just you by the looks of your above post. Don't speak for us all.

I think what he meant was that everyone has their skeletons.

Look through all 20 PL managers' private texts and you'll find something to tarnish the reputation of half of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,292 ✭✭✭Adamocovic

Talisman wrote: »
    There is no mention of when the FA received the letters. If they were only provided to the FA recently then obviously Cardiff City chose to ignore the FA rules.

Mackay applying for the Crystal Palace job was too good an opportunity for them to smear both him and Moody so the story was leaked to the tabloids.

Mackay was the media hook and has been the focus of the story, but the real story is Moody's dodgy transfer dealings.

I could be wrong but I read that the FA received the texts and emails earlier this year. An investigation was ongoing apparently. I think Palace were shown these because they have to be made aware of any internal investigations going on about the manager before appointing him. I also heard that it had just been leaked to the press during this time, more than likely because Mackay was back in the spotlight.

To be honest though this will all blow over soon enough when a bigger story comes around.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,720 ✭✭✭✭thebaz

at the time , think i was one of the few who offered some support for Tan , obviously Mackay was way out of order with texts , but should people be reading private texts ? - its all got a little too bitter now , Mackay made errors and was wrong , but we're all human and make mistakes - a little forgiveness would be my reccomendation to Mr Tan - concentrate on the present and helping Ole getting promoted.

"He hasn't murdered or raped anyone and he is not a paedophile"

Well, if that's the best thing you can say about someone it doesn't bode well! :pac:

I think what he meant was that everyone has their skeletons.

Look through all 20 PL managers' private texts and you'll find something to tarnish the reputation of half of them.

There's a difference between finding out a football manager is a creep like the rest of us and finding out he's a nasty racist

• Advertisement

There's a difference between finding out a football manager is a creep like the rest of us and finding out he's a nasty racist

Speak for yourself :pac:

I'd say there's more incriminating stuff than just being a creep in some of their private texts.

I'm not defending him, but someone who is actively prejudiced against a certain race/religion etc. but doesn't openly say it is doing far more harm than someone who makes racist/sexist jokes privately but doesn't act in a prejudiced fashion.

He's being blasted for the texts, and rightly so, but there's others who have done much worse without getting as much stick.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Malky's back in the game. Confirmed as new Wigan manager.

Pighead wrote: »
    Malky's back in the game. Confirmed as new Wigan manager.
    Like Ched Evans, I certainly wouldn't want him at my club, but he is entitled to work.

Dave Whelan - 'I don't think he has done alot wrong'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,238 ✭✭✭✭Diabhal Beag

When Richard Keys considers you a friend you are a horrible person.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,345 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

banter

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Blatter

Dave Whelan:
    ‘If any Englishman said he's never called a Chinaman a chink he is lying'
    'Jewish people chase money more than everybody else'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,775 ✭✭✭✭Gbear

Like Ched Evans, I certainly wouldn't want him at my club, but he is entitled to work.

I'd be pretty careful to even accidentally draw any comparisons between someone who's a bit of an arse and an actual rapist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,362 ✭✭✭K4t

Anyone else call him Milky McCoy? The actual pronunciation requires too much thought and seems unnatural imo.

• Advertisement

Gbear wrote: »
    I'd be pretty careful to even accidentally draw any comparisons between someone who's a bit of an arse and an actual rapist.

I'm not drawing comparisons, their offences are very different. The only comparison is that I wouldn't want either anywhere near my club.

But to dismiss him as merely 'a bit of an arse' is shocking. A homophobic, mysoginistic, racist would be alot more accurate.

Or is this another of those things where the person doesn't match with his actions.

'He's not that kind of lad'
    Bull****.

Advertisement