Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Clubs and Socs

• 20-08-2014 11:41pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,812 ✭✭✭

So I'm coming to Maynooth in September and am interested in joining some clubs and societies. Can anyone recommend anything in particular? I'm interested in joining the Rugby team but haven't played the game in years. What is the standard like?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 728 ✭✭✭9bred4

Joining in here. Also want to play rugby!

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Stinjy

I found BioSoc to be one of the best societies because; it doesnt matter if youre doing biology or even science they want to include you! Also they had a good diversity of speakers in talking about current problems/advancements/interesting topics they also have good party nights like christmas and halloween, they have a week abroad - prague last year, amsterdam the year before and i think portugal before that. And the best thing for me after all of this is that you dont have to go every week! There are the people who go everyweek but there are many who go to the more interesting talks eg Gerry Creighton from Dublin Zoo, prof. Marie Cassidy etc and theres goddies and drinks after. Theyre all pretty easy to get on with so if you want to meet new people go talk there...

I also joined Badminton for a sport after playing in school for 6 years that had many levels you could be total beginner or fairly good.. I dont know if they have divided rugby like beginners and socalrship standard but go to the clubs and socs day even for half an hour- youll get a list of all clubs and socs in your first year hand book make a list and go talk to people :)

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jDicey

Is there a larger scale choir? I've seen chamber choir and gospel choir videos on YouTube, but nothing that suggests the school has a regular choir that performs regular choral music. And I'm assuming chamber choir is by audition, yea?

I'm definitely climbing on board with the Potterheads. :3 Do they hold Quidditch matches? Chrome just tried to tell me Quidditch isn't a real word. Pffffft.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

If you're interested in learning German (or brushing up on it in my case) you can't go wrong with Deukuma. In the two years I've been with them, we've organised weekend trips during both, to Berlin and Bremen...just bring warm clothes, because the trips are a week or so after the January exams finish, and don't turn your nose up at Ryanair.

• Registered Users Posts: 12 jDicey

If you're interested in learning German (or brushing up on it in my case) you can't go wrong with Deukuma. In the two years I've been with them, we've organised weekend trips during both, to Berlin and Bremen...just bring warm clothes, because the trips are a week or so after the January exams finish, and don't turn your nose up at Ryanair.

Is Deukuma suited for students who have never spoken a lick of German?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,961 ✭✭✭✭PopePalpatine

I'm not sure, but if you're interested in learning the language I'm sure they'd welcome you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 149 ✭✭D_s

As PRO for Maynooth Ultimate Frisbee, I highly recommend Ultimate Frisbee ;)

Seriously though, I'm just finished 1st year and it was the first club I joined, and I've had an absolutely amazing year, traveled all around the country and to England and N.I., have seriously made friends for life, and been to never ending parties and events. Liked it so much I ran for PRO this year! Signs on we won Club of the Year this year just gone, so that has to say something. It's an amazing sport, and I bet you'll love it if you give it a try. If not, no loss, you don't have to come back. But I bet you will!

Advertisement