Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Need a new job after being bullied

Options
  • 21-08-2014 12:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Hi, I am currently out sick from work with no intention if going back as I have been bullied for the last 4 years.

I have tried to resolve the issue through grievance procedures and through my union rep and the company will not co operate. I have sought legal advice and they think I have a 50/50 change of winning a constructive dismissal case and personal injury case.

I need to secure a new job and how do I go about this with references and how do I explain being out sick from my current job for 6 months?

Any as advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

I believe on your cv that you state when you worked from and to as opposed to when you were actually employed by the company

• Closed Accounts Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Ralphdejones

xjayx wrote: »
    Hi, I am currently out sick from work with no intention if going back as I have been bullied for the last 4 years.

I have tried to resolve the issue through grievance procedures and through my union rep and the company will not co operate. I have sought legal advice and they think I have a 50/50 change of winning a constructive dismissal case and personal injury case.

I need to secure a new job and how do I go about this with references and how do I explain being out sick from my current job for 6 months?

Any as advice?

Workplace bullying is pretty rampant in Ireland, and the authorities ties do not take its highly damaging effects seriously.

Fair play to you for getting out, the best thing in these situations is always to get out if you can at all, and move onwards and upwards. As for references, is there a sympathetic colleague above your level of work you could contact to see if they mind being a referee ?

I don't think it's common practice for people to have to give details about any sick leave with their previous employer for whatever reason. Previous medical conditions yes, but previous sick leave no.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 xjayx

I believe on your cv that you state when you worked from and to as opposed to when you were actually employed by the company

But, how do I explain the gap on my C.V if that is the case? I have been to a few interviews and still said I was employed, and did not ever give permission to contact them,

But, how do I explain the gap on my C.V if that is the case? I have been to a few interviews and still said I was employed, and did not ever give permission to contact them,

What gap in your CV, you are still officially an employee even if you are on sick leave

Fair play to you for getting out, the best thing in these situations is always to get out if you can at all, and move onwards and upwards. As for references, is there a sympathetic colleague above your level of work you could contact to see if they mind being a referee ?

I don't think it's common practice for people to have to give details about any sick leave with their previous employer for whatever reason. Previous medical conditions yes, but previous sick leave no.

My previous Supervisor who now works at a different company will give me a good reference, but I'm afraid that they will still need info from my current Supervisor. I have an interview on Friday and the company has requested a background check. How do I get around this?

• Advertisement

My previous Supervisor who now works at a different company will give me a good reference, but I'm afraid that they will still need info from my current Supervisor. I have an interview on Friday and the company has requested a background check. How do I get around this?

Would your union be able to advise ?

What gap in your CV, you are still officially an employee even if you are on sick leave

But if they contact then to confirm dates etc. they may say that I have not worked there for A few months and will definitely not have good words to say about me.

Would your union be able to advise ?

I was speaking to him earlier and didn't know about the background check at the time. I will need to see what he thinks tomorrow. I just don't want to go for an interview if something like this will come back on me.

I was speaking to him earlier and didn't know about the background check at the time. I will need to see what he thinks tomorrow. I just don't want to go for an interview if something like this will come back on me.

Take it one step at a time and you'll be grand, get the interview over you first, it's not likely they will contact anyone unless you are successful.

Take it one step at a time and you'll be grand, get the interview over you first, it's not likely they will contact anyone unless you are successful.

I got the link to the background check and I'd you do not give permission to contact current employer, they may request pay slips. Am I just setting myself up for an awkward situation?

• Advertisement

I got the link to the background check and I'd you do not give permission to contact current employer, they may request pay slips. Am I just setting myself up for an awkward situation?

No I don't think so, don't let it put you off going for jobs, ask the union to get some advice for you on how to handle a situation if it does arise.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,737 ✭✭✭Bepolite

OP go back to your solicitor - they should be able to negotiate leaving with a good reference and non-disclosure of you being off sick. In many cases the company will pay your (reasonable) legal costs to avoid further come back.

Make sure you've taken proper legal advice ideally from a solicitor with experience in employment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

You have to do as a previous poster says, take it one step at a time.

First things first, the only thing that you should be focussing on now is preparing to do the best interview possible. You have to be successful in the interview first, forget about all the reference stuff for the moment.

Use your time productively, research the company and brush on your interview skills.

In my view you're taking the right decision by moving on, life is too short to spend a third of your day distressed.

Very best of luck.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Does the form for the background check have any clause that by not consenting to anything on the form it invalidates your application?

I had a background check done which had mandatory requirements in relation to contacting previous employers, and if you said no, then that was the end of the process.

I gave references for all the companies, and while the referees were checked the background check agency also independantly contacted the HR department of each company.

It all depends on how thorough the check is tbh

Advertisement