Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Apartment - Cancel Bord Gais

Options
  • 21-08-2014 6:00am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,206 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Hoping someone can advise me or has previous experience.

I'm leaving my rented apartment at the end of September and want to have everything sorted before I leave.

There's a bit of confusion on Bord Gais, has anyone closed their account with them when moving house?

I searched online and their website seems to have conflicting information..

Here .. http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/electricity/moving-house/

They say you need to give 7 days notice and that there's no need to provide the name of the incoming occupant.

Then here .. http://www.bordgaisenergy.ie/help-and-questions/home/electricity/billing/#question9

They say you need to give 28 days notice and that you must provide the details of incoming occupant.

Can anyone confirm? Is it the same for both gas and electricity?

I will be contacting them in the next week or so but I was wondering if anyone has gone through similar.

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,982 ✭✭✭Caliden

Word of advice having dealt with cancelling monthly subscription based anything, record all phone calls for your own records and keep an eye on your direct debits for a few months after.

With regards the Bord Gais, I've never had to cancel with them so can't help you there I'm afraid.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭pawrick

What I've done in the past is have it transferred it in to the landlords name after agreeing a meter reading as it cuts out trying to find out the new tenants details. Landlord or agent can then update the details when they get a new tenant. Give Bord gais a call to ask about the procedure as i don't recall any issues with a months notice as they seemed happy once the account transferred over.

• Registered Users Posts: 72 ✭✭Already exists

Same as above. You just take the final meter reading and ring them with your landlord's details. I moved a few months ago and did have a slight panic regarding the months notice on their website. When I rang them to enquire about this the lovely lady I dealt with said that the information on their website needed to be updated and a month isn't required.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Little Miss Cutie

I have been through this recently and found Bord Gais to be a nightmare!

When you ring to move/ cancel it basically takes up to 10 days for them to stop the standing charge - the only thing that can speed this up is if your LL/new owner calls to take over the bill from them.

I left Bord Gais as the experience was so bad, they were a disaster setting up the new account too and we had the case of living in the new house (which we bought) but the previous owners were still be charged the standing charge. Literally about 10 phone calls and lots of the stress to move the account.

I hope your experience is better

• Registered Users Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭xper

...When you ring to move/ cancel it basically takes up to 10 days for them to stop the standing charge - the only thing that can speed this up is if your LL/new owner calls to take over the bill from them.
    Yes, it seems to be standard practice that when you get final bill after you leave, the standing charge may well include several days past the date you vacated the property. Don't accept this. Also check that the meter reading they use on the final bill is the reading you submitted and not a higher estimate. They tried that one on me. If you are overcharged, just keep at them to send you a corrected bill and don't pay a penny until they do. Took me three calls and two revised bills for them to get it right.

Also, don't forget if you gave them a deposit when you opened the account that you get it back.

• Advertisement
Advertisement