Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Renting in South Dublin area, advice needed

Options
  • 21-08-2014 7:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 24

Hey !

I'm going to move to Dublin in September, and i was wondering if you guys can advice what areas will be suitable for me and my wife / 4 years old son.

We are looking for a place close to Central Park, -/+ 3/5 miles since we wont have a car at the beginning i will try to walk / cycle to work.

The budget for it will be about 1300 for a 2 bedroom flat / house.

We are looking for an area which will be safe for my son / wife walking around,and if possible with a small town atmosphere :)

Also will be great to be close somehow of either DART / LUAS green line.

Any help / ideas will be appreciated, thanks again!

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 947 ✭✭✭zef

Do you mean the phoenix park?
    I am not aware of a central park in Dublin...

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭greenbicycle

I am guessing you mean Central Park in Sandyford/Leopardstown?

If so there are lots of apartments in Sandyford Industrial estate and even in central park itself, the Area will be busy during the week but on weekends it is very quiet. there are lots of threads about it in the south dublin forum.

Otherwise you could consider different apartments in Dundrum, again lots of threads in the south Dublin forum. I would prefer dundrum, that would mean cycling or getting the luas to work in central park but your wife and child would benefit from being closer to Dundrum town centre and also closer to amenities such as marlay park and meadowbrook leisure centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 dconstantin

Thanks !

Yes, i meant Leopardstown / Sandyford Central Park :)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

You could also go out as far as Carrickmines which would be cheaper but is on the luas line so very accessible for work and places like Dundrum Ranelagh and the city centre. Im sure the housing would be a good bit cheaper and there is a bit in the local area which is very close to M50 and the mountains for when you do get your car sorted plus plenty of sports clubs soccer gaa and rugby. Also a good shopping centre carrickmines park which has a couple of decent restaurants, cafes and a couple of fast food outlets.

Also, is there a big difference in heating the flat / house electrically or with gas, price wise?

We are coming from south east europe and we are used in the winter to have app 20-22 celsius in our house. Will that be very expensive ?

I know the BER certificate counts so lets assume we can find some C rating and up for rental. Thanks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,360 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Cant give you any figures but gas heating would be cheaper, unlikely that a house would have electrical heating and I would think most modern apartments are likely to have gas but not definitely. Obviously an apartment would be cheaper to heat but Irish apartments can be quite small even the 2 bedroom ones.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,565 ✭✭✭K.Flyer

I would echo the advise of Greenbicycle.
    There are lots of nice settled residential areas and apartments around Dundrum where your wife will find it easier to get around without a car, especially with a young child to look after.

Edit
    Whatever you do... do not rent a property with electric storage heaters. If you are used to warmer climates this type of heating will be very expensive.
    Look out for a property with Gas central heating system with is more effecient and cheaper to run.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Consider if your son wants to go to school next year (presuming so) then you would probably have to be putting name down soon..

No point in moving to a good area and finding out you might have to drive a long distance to another area because your local school is full!..

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

Armelodie wrote: »
    Consider if your son wants to go to school next year (presuming so) then you would probably have to be putting name down soon..

No point in moving to a good area and finding out you might have to drive a long distance to another area because your local school is full!..

There are plenty of good schools around the Sanydford/Leopardstown area with 2 new ones being built at present. One is half built/half open. The other is just started.

Speaking off schools, we will probably aim to get our son enrolled in Educate Together program, hopefully we will be able to get a place in one of the schools close to the area we will be moving on. I checked the Stepaside Educate Together school for enrolling my son from 2015, and they told me there is a 300 kids waiting list already !

Regarding rent, will a land lord be happy enough with a letter from my employer stated that i earn XX amount of money etc ? I obviously dont have any references from previous landlords :)

Thanks again for all your advice's

• Advertisement
Advertisement