Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Selling a house in Wexford

Options
  • 21-08-2014 8:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭

I am now starting to realise how bad the housing market is.
    Is nobody even looking at houses anymore.

I am trying to sell my house in wexford. It is just outside of Fethard. Its on a .75 of an acre, got sea views. A detached 2,600 sq foot 4 bedroom house. Built 2009 and I cant even get anyone to view it. It is with an estate agent and they say they are surprised at the lack of interest.
    I have lowered the price substantially to try and get people in the door.

I am in the position where I have to move to Dublin and now house prices are sky rocketing. I dont want to rent in dublin and keep paying on the house in wexford, however at this point even if I sell, I cant afford Dublin.

What is the story is everything gone mad......

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Where has the agent marketed it?
    Is it on myhome? Have they distributed it to their database?
    The bigger brands often have more of a pool of potential buyers, although that may not be so much the case down the country. Just make sure your agent has got it out there as much as possible.
    The property supplements dont start back till next month so this is the seasonal quiet time of the year. When that is back get it into the times, see if the agent can get some free editorial - do they have contacts in all the papers? (again the bigger agents will have all this and can get knock down rates for ads).
    Are the photos up to standard and doing it justice? Make sure they get a professional to do these so that the house is represented to the best of its ability on line!
    Is there a sign?
    Passers by then know where to call to organise viewing.
    Make sure all of the above is being done!

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Sadler32

Hi beatnikdub.

It is a big agent down here. It is on my home, daft, their website etc. In the papers too, there was a full spread done on it when it went up first.
    Yeah there is a sign outside, and the pictures were taken by a professional.
    Everything is being done and it is out there.

But cant make people view it unless they want too...

Just abit frustrating

• Registered Users Posts: 1,663 ✭✭✭MouseTail

Its a niche market I suppose. Not commuting distance to a big city. Too large for a holiday home. I think you are just going to have to be patient.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

Test your agent, Ring and ask to organise a viewing and ensure they are actually getting back to people on it. We have found that some agents say they will call back to arrange viewing but never do.

Have you tried an open viewing evening, This will at least get your nosy neighbors in and you never know.. houses we have gone to see that were too far away on the map didn't seem all that far when we drove to them.

I guess a link to the property wouldn't hurt for boardies to critic??

Its 20 minutes by the ferry to waterford city. 25 mins to wexford town.
    I do get where your comming from though. But I would have thought you would have even got the odd time waster, lol

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭BeatNikDub

Give it another push next month, it could also be the time of year Sadler.
    Some houses just take longer than others but if you have a good agent they will get it over the line for you!
    Ask them to refresh it online also and bring it back to the top of the search.
    I wish you good luck!

Yeah they refresh it every couple of weeks, make it a feature etc. They are pushing it. I have had a few friends ring up and they have viewed it and they say the agent makes all the right noises.
    I just think its people not really buying down there

• Registered Users Posts: 1,273 ✭✭✭The Spider

Speaking as someone who bought in Gorey, I think Fethard might be that too far down, people in Waterford will buy in Waterford rather than take the ferry, but there isn't too many jobs in Waterford or Wexford town for that matter. Things will improve but may take another two years before people look down that way, maybe someone may want it as a second home, or holiday home try push that angle.

Yeah, people from the uk are snapping up property around here.
    I wuld like to see a family move into mine as a family home. I dont have to sell mine, but it wud make things easier....

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭handlemaster

Price is a good place to start if people are buying in your areao

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭MillyD123

Sadler32. Hi we are in the same position. Detached in half acre in rural area only 5 miles from waterford city. We've had 1 viewing in 8 months. We've slashed the price but agent says there is no interest in rural homes at the minute. The property price register shows no sales at all for 2014 and only 4 for 2013/2012. It's frustrating but we will just have to wait it out I reckon. I am surprised we didn't get any more viewings even if it was people just going for a look !!

Hi MillyD123

How are you getting on. Only seeing your message now. There is abit of moment bit not much. Did you ever get anymore viewings.

So I finally sold my house. It took just under a year and had a grand total of 7 viewings, and that includes the 3 viewings the new owners had.

It was very frustrating, but got there in the end. Now hopefully can get a mortgage and find a place in dublin.....

Advertisement