Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

AvantCard Take over MBNA

Options
  • 21-08-2014 8:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭

Hi All i got a Letter today

saying that on 31 Oct 2012 your MBNA credit Card was Written off and registered with the Irish Credit Bureau, so i would be on the black list for 5 year i take it.

so now AvantCard purchased MBNAs Credit Card Business in Ireland and which they said it includes my debt due from MBNA which is now owed to Them.

how can they be looking for this debt if MBNA have written it off before the take over ?

Our preference is to deal direclty with you in order to come to an afforable payment, which to me would be 2 -5 euro a week thats all i can afford after getting laid off.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭matt70iu

Hi All i got a Letter today

saying that on 31 Oct 2012 your MBNA credit Card was Written off and registered with the Irish Credit Bureau, so i would be on the black list for 5 year i take it.

so now AvantCard purchased MBNAs Credit Card Business in Ireland and which they said it includes my debt due from MBNA which is now owed to Them.

how can they be looking for this debt if MBNA have written it off before the take over ?

Our preference is to deal direclty with you in order to come to an afforable payment, which to me would be 2 -5 euro a week thats all i can afford after getting laid off.

Hi

Got a similar letter recently. Basically when the MBNA Ireland credit card business got sold to Avant Card, they bought everything, including their bad debts such as you and me.

I was also told that my debt was written off in 2010. However, just because the debt is written off does not mean we no longer owe the money.

When a company writes off a debt, what they are doing is clearing it off their books, it changes nothing for the debtor (you and me) unless formally agreed.

MBNA were relentless in going after me when I was laid off in 2009. I paid what I could every month (about 60e a month off an 8000e debt).

I got work early in 2010 and increased my payments to 180e a month. I thought I had paid them off but then got this letter saying I still owed them (Avant card, formally MBNA) 300e.

You should also have gotten a letter informing you that the debt and the money you had so far paid had been transferred over to Avant Card.

I would pay what you can, no matter how small. If you can't pay, you can't pay. Tell them this. They will tell you it's not enough etc but you can't get blood from a stone. At least you are making an effort to pay back what you owe.

Best of luck

Matt

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭niamh.foley

Thanks

I can only pay 5 euro a week thats about it, as you said you cant get blood out of a stone..

Advertisement