Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this an Elephant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

mattroche wrote: »
    84 WH 28 is NOT a genuine Reg. No. It could be Stolen, or a Ringer, I wonder where it is residing? Is it a L.H.D.

See the 'F' on the plate Matt ? :o But,TBH , sometimes plates use font from another country , like the 'German-style' plates here and it can be a bit confusing for those of us that would notice these things. If you saw an Irish say ZV reg. done on a Polish plate it might look confusing too.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Capri wrote: »
    See the 'F' on the plate Matt ? :o But,TBH , sometimes plates use font from another country , like the 'German-style' plates here and it can be a bit confusing for those of us that would notice these things. If you saw an Irish say ZV reg. done on a Polish plate it might look confusing too.

...or if you saw a Norwegian 'ZV nnnnn' registration ! ;)

How do you spot an elephant in Thailand :P

http://www.bangkokpost.com/learning/learning-from-news/433171/same-car-same-license-plate-which-one-is-fake
    An Ayutthaya woman has authorities seeing double after trying to renew her car registration, because an identical car had already been given the same number.

The mystery began when Warathaya Trisin, 46, brought her black Honda Civic with the licence plate Dor Sor 7222 Bangkok to the Land Transport office in Ayutthaya on July 15. The staff told her that another black Honda Civic with exactly the same plate number had been registered in Kanchanaburi on June 9.

Both cars have identical engine and chassis numbers and look the same in every other respect except that one has magnesium alloy wheels.

The cars were taken on Friday to the Police Forensic Science Centre 1 in Pathum Thani, where investigators hope to find out which one has the fake registration. ...........

A new way to scam ?????

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

A new way to scam ?????
    Not new at all. I remember a haulage contractor in the 70's or 80's running multiple trucks on the same registration number. They got duplicate tax discs from the motor tax office.
    Was finally caught when an observant Garda noticed that two trucks parked on either side of the main street in Moate both had the same numbers.

invest4deepvalue.com

Here's a Jumbo elephant :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,033 ✭✭✭Silvera

Possibly a Latvian or Lithuanian registration re-made on an Irish plate?
    Do you know if it was LHD?

Silvera wrote: »
    Possibly a Latvian or Lithuanian registration re-made on an Irish plate?
    Do you know if it was LHD?

Like Carlsberg, PROBABLY - but the fact remains if it IS LT/LV then it SHOULD have it's own EU sticker on it or none at all. Just being pedantic :P
    A LOT of Irish reg stuff up in LT , for swop over of steering/parts ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,620 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

Ah ok that's a whole nother story. Didn't know the merc's were a monocoque chassis/

Only since about the 60's. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,783 ✭✭✭rugbyman

I think I spotted that car on the NCR a while back,,, same area Capri?
    crazy as it seems , I think there may be an answer

rugbyman wrote: »
    I think I spotted that car on the NCR a while back,,, same area Capri?
    crazy as it seems , I think there may be an answer

CORR-ECT , outside George Cosgrave's place.

Lat/Lith plates nicked and replaced with Irish made ones ??

• Advertisement

Swedish elephants :eek: http://www.curbsideclassic.com/automotive-histories/regional-car-culture-explained-the-history-of-the-swedish-a-traktor/

If there's an unjust law, people WILL get around it :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭mattroche

If my memory serves me right, I think Irish farmers did something similar with old lorries at one stage. Cut down the lorries, and used them as a road " Tractor". I think the road Tax was 50 shillings. Perhaps someone can remember that in more detail! ? I Think it was in the 1950/60. I wonder has anyone any photos of them.?

mattroche wrote: »
    If my memory serves me right, I think Irish farmers did something similar with old lorries at one stage. Cut down the lorries, and used them as a road " Tractor". I think the road Tax was 50 shillings. Perhaps someone can remember that in more detail! ? I Think it was in the 1950/60. I wonder has anyone any photos of them.?

Well here's 'exempt' vehicles
    There are a number of exempt vehicles:
    State-owned vehicles (these still carry tax discs, with a rate of €0.00 printed on them), for example Garda vehicles and CIÉ buses)
    Diplomatic vehicles.
    Vehicles exempted under the Disabled Drivers and Disabled Passengers (Tax Concessions) Regulations, 1994 (S.I. No. 353 of 1994).
    Vehicles (including any cycle with an attachment for propelling it by mechanical power) not exceeding 400 kilograms in weight unladen adapted and used for invalids (see invalid carriage).
    Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of lifeboats and their gear or any equipment for affording assistance towards the preservation of life and property in cases of shipwreck and distress at sea
    Vehicles which are used exclusively for mountain and cave rescue purposes.
    Vehicles which are used exclusively for underwater search and recovery purposes.
    Vehicles which are used exclusively for the transport (whether by carriage or traction) of road construction machinery which is built in as part of such vehicle or otherwise permanently attached thereto, carries no load except articles or materials used for the purpose of the road construction machinery and is used for no purpose other than the construction or repair of roads.
    Refuse carts, sweeping machines or watering machines used exclusively for cleansing public streets and roads.
    Ambulances, road rollers or fire engines.
    Vehicles kept by a local authority and used exclusively for the purpose of their fire brigade service.

AFIK Motor caravans, and 'Road tractors' like the JCB Fastrac have special rates (Didn't the road hauliers complain about the Fastracs robbing their business by using cheaper-to-tax Fastracs instead of trucks ?)
    Remember the Mercedes Road tractor ? http://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Datei:MB_trac_turbo_900_sst.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 1,045 ✭✭✭Grimreaper666

Ah come on, it's obviously got a vintage chassis, you can see it from here.........

• Registered Users Posts: 9,616 ✭✭✭ba_barabus

Tut tut tut tut

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/nameplates-for-cars/7889752
    nameplates for cars ... classic , vintage and new cars

performed with very great care for detail to every car Citroen, Volkswagen, Audi, MG, Rover, Land Rover Mercedes, Ford, BMW, Peugeot, and many others

34071367.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

ba_barabus wrote: »
    Tut tut tut tut

... and its gone!:eek: :pac:

... and its gone!:eek: :pac:

Oh no it's not !! http://www.vin-plate.co.uk/

You don't think that someone's just set up a VIN plate factory just for little ol' Ireland :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,942 ✭✭✭Bigus

http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-starlet-kp61/7977350

Jap clocks , jap wings , jap boot lid , irish shell Me arsè

34490345.jpeg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,733 ✭✭✭✭corktina

5 grand me arse!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Thats a much more salient point sir.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭f4fay

:mad::mad:
    Bigus wrote: »
    http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/toyota-starlet-kp61/7977350

Jap clocks , jap wings , jap boot lid , irish shell Me arsè

34490345.jpeg

!

• Registered Users Posts: 186 ✭✭The Big Red Fella

Nice wee starlet!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

What would the story be with this? "Car can never be put on the road...":eek::(

Surely it cant be sold then? But what would stop a stolen recovered being recommissioned? Or an elephant in the making....

Sad scooby

34400674.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 2,069 ✭✭✭Tzar Chasm

Unusual sale condition, AFAIR cars that are involved in fatalaties cant be reregistered. Surely theres value in parting it out or shipping it overseas

Presumably it has been recorded as scrapped and the papers handed in. Hard to see how it comes to be for sale if that's correct.

corktina wrote: »
    Presumably it has been recorded as scrapped and the papers handed in. Hard to see how it comes to be for sale if that's correct.

So could it be put back on the road with a bit of jiggery pokery?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

Either it can or it can't

I suppose it's a bit like the UK Insurance code of practice where Category A or B write-offs aren't meant to make it back out into the wild. They can and do though and there isn't impediment to get the paperwork back from the DVLA after a VIC (although the category will be recorded as such). Final hurdle after that is getting someone to insure it knowing it's past, which either insurers will a) refuse to do, b) be reluctant or willingly but with devalue it against future claims accordingly and/or hump you for extra premium. Either way it'll be a pain in the hole somewhere down the line and not worth the hassle - unless it gets shuffled about the place and the history gets some oxy-action cleaning...

I suppose it would be handy to know if there was a close enough match to this car that was still registered but has been parked in a hedge for years or rotting in a field with a blameless history that could "donate" it's identity to this one, then you'd be driving the biggest elephant of them all, especially it the donor vehicle was a 1979 Triumph Dolomite Sprint...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

What would the story be with this? "Car can never be put on the road...":eek::(

Surely it cant be sold then? But what would stop a stolen recovered being recommissioned? Or an elephant in the making....

Sad scooby

34400674.jpeg

Easy fix: buy a boggo shelled car, and strip it - move everything WRX over to the new shell, and then take a grinder to the original.

100% legal.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement

galwaytt wrote: »
    Easy fix: buy a boggo shelled car, and strip it - move everything WRX over to the new shell, and then take a grinder to the original.

100% legal.

yes, provided you use the ID of the new shell (which you'd have too probably in this case)

Advertisement