Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is this an Elephant?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,152 ✭✭✭26000 Elephants

Falcon L wrote: »
    You might tell that to Spain. I imported a used VW Caravelle from Germany. They refused to issue a reg number until I got a letter from VW in Germany to state that the vehicle was type approved. The Caravelle is sold in Spain, so they should have known. But it's Spain we're talking about here.

I got the last laugh though as I got it in duty (VRT) free using one of their obscure rules. :)

The letter request is usually code for "50 euros will make this go away...." :pac:
    I used to use a 'perito' to handle the process, and that was all he did - he knew who to pay.

Technically, if the car has an E mark on the vin plate in the engine bay, then it has approval. The letter from VW costs about €50.

Previously I had a guy produce a measuring tape to ensure the steering wheel was the right size.... On a car that could have been bought in spain!!! Pure scam.

They almost stopped direct US imports back in 2009 until we figured our little 'ruse'. Once the car had a UK plate, they could not insist on all the other changes to EU spec that they wanted ( which would have cost approx. €5k on a Mustang)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭mountai

Again," Type Approval " cannot be used as an excuse for not allowing a car to be registered . As long as a car HAS been registered (in UK for example) then Type Approval is guaranteed , as without it, you could not register it in UK. Example , all Kit Cars in UK must go through a rigorous technical examination , lasting 4 hours , and comply with stringent standards to allow them to be used and registered on public roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

mountai wrote: »
    Again," Type Approval " cannot be used as an excuse for not allowing a car to be registered . As long as a car HAS been registered (in UK for example) then Type Approval is guaranteed , as without it, you could not register it in UK. Example , all Kit Cars in UK must go through a rigorous technical examination , lasting 4 hours , and comply with stringent standards to allow them to be used and registered on public roads.

Tell that to the US import/customs so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

You've clearly never dealt with the Spanish authorities, mate. They think European laws are for someone else. Does no good to try to force the situation either. Pig headed, ignorant people. In my humble opinion, of course :).

The matters I have been referring to are within the rules of EU countries only.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,193 ✭✭✭Cleveland Hot Pocket

The matters I have been referring to are within the rules of EU countries only.
    Fair enough but that was not mentioned.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 54 ✭✭mrolaf

i don't get it...damaged bumper?

You've clearly never dealt with the Spanish authorities, mate. They think European laws are for someone else. Does no good to try to force the situation either. Pig headed, ignorant people. In my humble opinion, of course :).

No I"ve never dealt with the Spanish , but the Irish lads were no different. They had their own rules , which they had enforced for years , and were arrogant in the extreme. In my case, when I showed them the relevant documentation, specifying the rules as laid down by EU dictate , they backed off under the threat of legal action , and allowed me to import a car that was previously registered in the UK.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

No I"ve never dealt with the Spanish , but the Irish lads were no different. They had their own rules , which they had enforced for years , and were arrogant in the extreme. In my case, when I showed them the relevant documentation, specifying the rules as laid down by EU dictate , they backed off under the threat of legal action , and allowed me to import a car that was previously registered in the UK.

Well the Spaniards will not back down. It's part of their 'charm'. They will fight you all the way to court, where you will pay your own legal fees even if you win. It normally takes about 3 years to get to court. Ask me how I know LOL.

VW Germany didn't charge me anything for the letter BTW. And they supplied it in Spanish.

Well the Spaniards will not back down. It's part of their 'charm'. They will fight you all the way to court, where you will pay your own legal fees even if you win. It normally takes about 3 years to get to court. Ask me how I know LOL.

VW Germany didn't charge me anything for the letter BTW. And they supplied it in Spanish.

I've experienced that with the spanish. Its a lot better not to fight it, they get very defensive when guiri's think they are smarter than them. It was cheaper to just bribe them. Im not condoning it, like, but in business you have to take a pragmatic view on things. Once we got a system that worked, I never had a problem with the ITV, Hacienda/Tributaria or Trafico afterwards.

I've been charged that by Land Rover in the UK for a certificate of EU compliance (ironically for an Irish reg'ed 2009 Disco I exported there in 2013)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,499 ✭✭✭Capri

A 'Legal' Defender (EU spec) for sale in the US http://hooniverse.com/2015/01/09/craigslist-a-defender-110-priced-remarkably-well/#more-186223

http://swmi.craigslist.org/cto/4818408933.html

NAS conversions
    http://www.defendericon.com/land-rover-defender/29/land-rover-defender-usa-&-canada-export/
    In 1993 Land Rover launched the Defender in the North American (i.e. the United States and Canada) market. Although the Range Rover had been sold there since 1987, this was the first time utility Land Rovers had been sold since 1974. To comply with the strict United States Department of Transportation regulations, ranging from crash safety to lighting, as well as the very different requirements of American buyers, the North American Specification (NAS) Defenders were extensively modified. The initial export batch was 525 Defender 110 County Station Wagons: 500 to the United States and 25 to Canada. They were fitted with the 3.9-litre V8 petrol engine and five-speed manual transmission. All of the vehicles were white (except one specifically painted black for Ralph Lauren). They sported full external roll-cages and larger side-indicator and tail-lights. All were equipped with the factory-fitted air conditioning system
    For the 1994 and 1995 model year Land Rover offered the Defender 90, fitted with a 3.9-litre V8 engine and a manual transmission which was clearly intended to compete with the Jeep Wrangler. Initially, the Defender 90 was only available as a soft-top, but later version was offered with a unique, removable, fibre-glass roof panel or regular station wagon hard-top.

In the final year of US production the engine was improved, designated 4.0 and mated to a four-speed automatic transmission. In 1998, regulations changed to require the fitting of airbags for both front seat passengers in all vehicles, as well as side door impact requirements. The Defender could not be fitted with these without major modifications, which given the small numbers of NAS vehicles sold in relation to Land Rover's global sales, were not economically viable. Land Rover retired its utility vehicles at the end of 1997 to focus on its more upmarket Discovery and Range Rover models, as well as the then newly launched

16k for a 'commercial' XJS :P http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/xjs-4-lt-commerical-tax/8527535?offset=19

4k in France for A NICE ONE http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576284

Not that I'd buy one even for a tenner :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 10 daveprom

Would love to DROVE that MODAL of Jag .

If only I had stayed on in Skool I could afford it now .

• Registered Users Posts: 10 daveprom

Would love to DROVE that MODAL of Jag .

If only I had stayed on in Skool I could afford it now .

Oh and its MADE from Coventry ?

• Registered Users Posts: 822 ✭✭✭johnty56

Capri wrote: »
    16k for a 'commercial' XJS :P http://cars.donedeal.ie/vintagecars-for-sale/xjs-4-lt-commerical-tax/8527535?offset=19

4k in France for A NICE ONE http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C576284

Not that I'd buy one even for a tenner :rolleyes:

I have to say they are a smashing looking car.. I've never driven one though. You don't seem to think too much of them? Just curious as it is one that is on my list

• Registered Users Posts: 23,351 ✭✭✭✭mickdw

Quick question. I believe the uk insist on mph clocks being fitted to all cars being imported.
    How does this fit with the eu law being quoted here that once a car is registered in one member state that it must then be excepted for registration in any other state?

mickdw wrote: »
    Quick question. I believe the uk insist on mph clocks being fitted to all cars being imported.
    How does this fit with the eu law being quoted here that once a car is registered in one member state that it must then be excepted for registration in any other state?
    If you follow your line of logic, then all Continental cars would not be allowed to drive on UK roads??

johnty56 wrote: »
    I have to say they are a smashing looking car.. I've never driven one though. You don't seem to think too much of them? Just curious as it is one that is on my list

Just the styling doesn't agree with me - IF I was to make a list of Jags I do like the styling of then it'd be
    1) MkIX http://www.carandclassic.co.uk/car/C336995
    2) XJ12 SIII http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jaguar_XJ6_--_09-07-2009.jpg
    3) XJ X300 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Jaguar_XJ6.jpg
    4) E-type SI http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1963_Jaguar_XK-E_Roadster.jpg
    5) Daimler V8 http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:1968_Daimler_2.5_V8_-_Flickr_-_exfordy.jpg
    ........so I'm not 'anti-Jag', just some I do like and some I don't.;)

mickdw wrote: »

The eu type approval holds, but local requirements must still be met, i.e Headlights alligned with correct side of road, MPH or partly mph clocks.

The speedo isn't a big deal, we printed up an MPH scale for a discovery, opened the dash and stuck it over the original. Passed no problem.

If you follow your line of logic, then all Continental cars would not be allowed to drive on UK roads??

They would not be allowed to be registered in the uk without the clocks being changed which is certainly what happens now with recent stuff that goes out of Ireland to the uk.

• Advertisement

The eu type approval holds, but local requirements must still be met, i.e Headlights alligned with correct side of road, MPH or partly mph clocks.

The speedo isn't a big deal, we printed up an MPH scale for a discovery, opened the dash and stuck it over the original. Passed no problem.

That makes sense. Still can be a pain in the ass.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

bump get your starlet logbooks and vin plates while they are going cheap:rolleyes:

http://www.adverts.ie/car/toyota/starlet/79-kp60-rwd-starlet/8226492

i reported the user to adverts and hopefully they take it down:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,297 ✭✭✭savagethegoat

I'd say he is good to go whilst he has the shell. It's blatant of course, but nothing illegal until a re-shell is done.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,318 ✭✭✭✭carchaeologist

I'd say he is good to go whilst he has the shell. It's blatant of course, but nothing illegal until a re-shell is done.

True but there is already lads looking for the chassis plate and log book to do what's known nowadays in Ireland as a 'taxbook restoration'

Oh I know it well, they are the guys who will be commenting the crime and it puts our privileges at risk. It's rife and you never here of any prosecutions. You wouldn't get away with it as easy in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 9,019 ✭✭✭davycc

Oh I know it well, they are the guys who will be commenting the crime and it puts our privileges at risk. It's rife and you never here of any prosecutions. You wouldn't get away with it as easy in the UK

ive never heard of a dodgy dealer being fined for selling cars with fake NCT either in the non classic world.
    this country is beyond help :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

DSC05049.jpg

DSC02737.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

A clone? How do people think they can get away with that. This type of shyte is the reason there are calls to NCT every car, classic or not.

side by side? Cheshire Home?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,565 ✭✭✭Blue850

Taken at two different shows, when one has the CIE reg on, the other has a UK reg

Advertisement