Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Making Soda Bread in Morphy Richards Fastback Machine

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:31am
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I am having a problem using a new Morphy Richards breadmaking machine to make a brown soda bread with buttermilk and breadsoda. The recipe book that accompanies the machine does only yeast breads. The recipe i used in a previous machines for the last five years didnt work for me in this machine - bread never rose and is like a slab of concrete. Does anyone have a reliable recipe that they could suggest for this machine?
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

I heard that soda bread can't be made in breadmakers because the kneading part of the process works the gluten in the flour which you DO want in yeast bread but NOT in soda bread. I suspect that's why it hasn't worked for you. I'd suggest you use the machine for when you want yeast bread but make your soda the old-fashioned way. It's so quick to do that it's kind of illogical to use the machine for it. I have a brilliant recipe for "Pouring Bread" which is delicious and everybody loves it. You just mix everything together in a big bowl with a wooden spoon and transfer the mix to bread tins, it's much too wet to knead it but it turns out great. I add loads of seeds and pinhead oatmeal and it's lovely and nutty, even the heel toasts up well! If you'd like the recipe just let me know but don't waste your time on the machine if you want soda bread because it doesn't work afaik.

Sorry, I missed the part where you made it successfully in your last machine, I can't understand that at all.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

janmaree wrote: »
    I have a brilliant recipe for "Pouring Bread" which is delicious and everybody loves it. You just mix everything together in a big bowl with a wooden spoon and transfer the mix to bread tins, it's much too wet to knead it but it turns out great. I add loads of seeds and pinhead oatmeal and it's lovely and nutty, even the heel toasts up well! If you'd like the recipe just let me know

I'd love that recipe please, if you wouldn't mind popping it into the Boardsie Bread Bakers' Recipes thread so it'll be easy to find and will live on. It sounds lovely :)
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2056972721

constructivist I'd never heard of soda bread being made in a bread machine either.

• Registered Users Posts: 472 ✭✭janmaree

Dizzyblonde, I've posted the recipe on the "bread" thread as requested, I hope you give it a try because it's never failed for me and it's really lovely to eat. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

I am only guessing but your last breadmaker must have had a special setting for non-yeast breads.

Soda bread should be kneaded for about 60 seconds, just enough time to shape it and it needs to get straight into a hot oven, as soon
    as it is mixed, leaving it to "prove" for hours before baking it will ruin it. There is no way that a standard breadmaker cycle of kneading and
    proving will result in successful soda bread.

Anyway, it is so easy that there is no need.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 12,110 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dizzyblonde

janmaree wrote: »
    Dizzyblonde, I've posted the recipe on the "bread" thread as requested, I hope you give it a try because it's never failed for me and it's really lovely to eat. :)

Thanks janmaree, I'll definitely make it once I get the ingredients :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5 constructivist

Thank you all for the suggestions. I can confirm that my previous breadmaking machine had a non-yeast setting, so that once I added the ingredients, it did the mixing and baking and after an hour it produced a perfect soda bread every time. I experimented again with the Morphy Richards machine and cracked the problem... Simply let the machine mix the ingredients for 7 minutes, then change the program to Bake and let it work away for 50 minutes. A perfect soda bread from a breadmaking machine! I will now try to find janmaree's recipe and give it a go. Thanks again to you all. Happy baking.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

I am having a problem using a new Morphy Richards breadmaking machine to make a brown soda bread with buttermilk and breadsoda. The recipe book that accompanies the machine does only yeast breads. The recipe i used in a previous machines for the last five years didnt work for me in this machine - bread never rose and is like a slab of concrete. Does anyone have a reliable recipe that they could suggest for this machine?

What's the point in using a breadmaker for making soda bread? The point of a breadmaker is taking the hassle out of kneading and waiting for the bread to rise, neither of which you need to do with soda bread.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 constructivist

thank you katydid for your comment. however you might notice that it does not contribute a solution to the problem. For me the purpose of the breadmaker is that it does ALL the work, while I just add ingredients. When I return after an hour, the bread is made. by the way, I have cracked the problem and have had many months of successful soda bread baking with my breadmaker - all of my family who are highly experienced traditional bread makers are impressed by the quality of the bread, so everyone is a winner. If you want the recipe i would be delighted to oblige.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,351 ✭✭✭katydid

thank you katydid for your comment. however you might notice that it does not contribute a solution to the problem. For me the purpose of the breadmaker is that it does ALL the work, while I just add ingredients. When I return after an hour, the bread is made. by the way, I have cracked the problem and have had many months of successful soda bread baking with my breadmaker - all of my family who are highly experienced traditional bread makers are impressed by the quality of the bread, so everyone is a winner. If you want the recipe i would be delighted to oblige.
    Sorry I couldn't help. I wasn't thinking of the whole process to be honest, because when I used a machine, I never used it to do he full bake. I always felt it didn't produce good results.

I'd love the recipe...if I can make it by hand as well :-)

Advertisement