Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UTI Over the Counter Treatment

Options
  • 21-08-2014 9:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 6

Hi there!

I couldn't find a women's health forum so I hope it's okay to post health stuff here! I was wondering if anyone knows of an over the counter treatment for UTIs? I know that you can get sachets to help with the irritation, but I don't know whether you can get something that can actually get rid of the infection. I'm just hoping to not have to fork out 50 squids to get a prescription for antibiotics.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭Greenduck

Depends on how bad it is OP. You can get Cranberry sachets, (theres a few different makes) but if it is bad you should go to the doctor asap. When I mean bad I mean cramps, nausea, sweats, extreme sharp pain when urinating.

I suffered with UTIs for years and the best way of treating them is by not getting them in the first place.

For the time being drink as much water as you can and try and flush it out of your system. Barley water and cranberry juice are good too.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 17,231 Mod ✭✭✭✭Das Kitty

Ask the pharmacist. They're trained health professionals and a consultation costs nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Miaireland

We are not allowed give Medical Advice on Boards to the best of my knowledge. Talk to your pharmacist.

If you have an uti, you'll need an antibiotic. Those oral sachets (sodium sachets) are only for cystitis

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

^ Cystitis is a UTI.

OP talk to your pharmacist, they can advise you what to do. Hurry up though, UTI's get bad fast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭Morgase

The sachets are very good and not too expensive. But do talk to the pharmacist. If it's gone on a while you might have to see the doctor for stronger treatment as has been mentioned.
    Greenduck wrote: »
    I suffered with UTIs for years and the best way of treating them is by not getting them in the first place.

I hope this isn't too much information, but going for a wee after sex helps in this regard so much!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Blingy

Do some research into d-mannose from the Heath shop (I got it from health matters grafton st). It would appear to aid in gettin rid of uti's.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,524 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Mod

Hi suretisherself, welcome to Boards.

Giving out medical advice isn't permitted on Boards. Like most of the replies here suggest, your best course of action is probably to discuss your issue with your GP, pharmacist or some other health professional. Best of luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement