Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Matthews Stop Changing

Options
  • 21-08-2014 10:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭

So as of Monday 25th, Matthews are moving from Parnell Street because of the Luas works. They're moving their drop off to Cathal Brugha Street, and their pick up to North Cumberland Street.

There's a lot of uproar on their Facebook page as many people are saying that the area is unsafe. As a commuter who regularly gets a late night bus from Dublin, I'm worried!

Just wondering if anyone else is annoyed/worried about this, and if people will migrate to other services if the street is as dangerous as everyone suggests...:eek:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

mejulie805 wrote: »
    So as of Monday 25th, Matthews are moving from Parnell Street because of the Luas works. They're moving their drop off to Cathal Brugha Street, and their pick up to North Cumberland Street.

There's a lot of uproar on their Facebook page as many people are saying that the area is unsafe. As a commuter who regularly gets a late night bus from Dublin, I'm worried!

Just wondering if anyone else is annoyed/worried about this, and if people will migrate to other services if the street is as dangerous as everyone suggests...:eek:

Sure all three streets are the same area. Cathal Brugha St is parallel and North Cumberland is round the corner. You can stand on Parnell St looking down the length of Cumberland St and wait til you see the bus if you'd rather stand near the old stop.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,823 ✭✭✭neacy69

They are moving because of Luas works....its not by choice...

• Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

So as of Monday 25th, Matthews are moving from Parnell Street because of the Luas works.
    neacy69 wrote: »
    They are moving because of Luas works....its not by choice...

Yep, I was aware of this. I was mostly referring to the backlash on Facebook, and if it is warranted.

Nah wouldn't say it's warranted. Parnell St. is as much of a ****hole. There's safety in numbers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,708 ✭✭✭Waitsian

Yep, I was aware of this. I was mostly referring to the backlash on Facebook, and if it is warranted.

I've seen all manner of things on Parnell St, day and night. So what's changed, it's only a hundred yards round the corner! I tend to stay in Chapters bookstore until I think or know the bus will be there and even if it's not there tends to be more than a few waiting so, as said above, safety in numbers.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

I've never felt particularly safe waiting for the Matthews bus at Parnell St especially in the evenings, there are some rare breeds on the prowl in that area. But I doubt the other streets are much different either way. I know one lady that taks a Dublin bus to Drumcondra to get the coach on to Dundalk rather than hang around to mingle with the local talent.

Jesus I consider myself a bit of a pussy but I've never been that worried despite 4 years of commuting from there. I tend to attract hassle yet have never had any on Parnell St. If it's early evening when she feels the need to do that I think it says more about her than the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,068 ✭✭✭Nesta99

In fairness its usually closer to late evening by the time lectures finish, but it could also be laziness and not wanting to walk the lenght of O'Connell St, though that would never be admitted to!

Nesta99 wrote: »
    In fairness its usually closer to late evening by the time lectures finish, but it could also be laziness and not wanting to walk the lenght of O'Connell St, though that would never be admitted to!
    That sounds more likely. There's always a handful of people around til the 8.30 bus at least, with buses leaving every half an hour like. Even after that there'll be people around from 10-15 minutes before each bus is due.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,064 ✭✭✭Irish Aris

I used the bus last night. The new pick-up is practically on the corner of Parnell and Cumberland.
    Can't see much difference, it's just a 100 meters away from the usual spot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 541 ✭✭✭mejulie805

Good to know, will be getting the 10pm home tonight!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 231 ✭✭Minjor

Parnell St is busier and there are more "characters" about from my experience, not that I ever had any real hassle from anyone.

N. Cumberland St is grand, more spacious too for waiting round.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 Pepca

Ladies and gentlemen, do not fret! When in danger, just shout "Pepca!" and I will come to the rescue with my cape and magic wand.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,098 ✭✭✭MonkeyTennis

Police have asked to keep an eye out on Cathal Brugha Street for a shady character pestering members of the public.

He is described as a bit shifty, wears a cape and carries a ma.... oh

Advertisement