Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Where to Start?

• 21-08-2014 12:54pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    I've been interested in archery for a long time and myself and my girlfriend tried it recently down in Courtown adventure park, we both enjoyed it immensely and would love to do some more but beyond what we did there.

We're based in Kildare and South Dublin. What would people recommend as the next step? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks guys & gals.

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

A beginners course will likely consist of about 6 lessons of 1.5 hours. You will taught safety, mimetics, stretches and proper form. There may be other pieces thrown in too.... forms of archery (target, field, 3D, clout, flight), styles of archery (Olympic recurve, compound, barebow, historical bow). A beginners course isn't designed to have you come out a fully fledged archer. It intended to give you the basic safety message and introduce the subject to you. When you join a club you will continue to receive help until over time and advice as to what to purchase and when to purchase it.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

Thanks a million Greysides! Had contacted a club in Tallaght. Unfortunately no beginners classes until November. Will keep looking around.

Thanks again :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

Have a look at the clubs page on the Archery Ireland web site and see if there are any other clubs in your area which might be running beginner courses sooner

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭didds

So far, I've found archers are quite bad at updating websites, so I'm here wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm a total newbie with the usual green newbie questions. I'd like to do a beginners crash course and then pick up a bow and practise loads myself.
    So, I guess my questions are:
    Is there a Archery instructor qualification? I'd rather learn from a passionate person who's qualified and insured to teach, but who shoots themselves, not just works as an instructor... Any recommendations.?
    I'm in west wicklow/Dublin.
    Beginners course pricing seems to fluctuate depending on the part of the country. What is the general price for a course and what should I expect from it?
    I have a long background with sporting firearms and am currently psyched to learn all I can about Archery from someone who isn't a bull**** artist (all sports have them).
    I was looking at a Petron Recurve take down bow. Are Petron a half decent build quality for a 1st bow?
    Thanks for any and all help with this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,829 ✭✭✭TommyKnocker

didds wrote: »
    So far, I've found archers are quite bad at updating websites, so I'm here wondering if someone can point me in the right direction. I'm a total newbie with the usual green newbie questions. I'd like to do a beginners crash course and then pick up a bow and practise loads myself.
    So, I guess my questions are:
    Is there a Archery instructor qualification? I'd rather learn from a passionate person who's qualified and insured to teach, but who shoots themselves, not just works as an instructor... Any recommendations.?
    I'm in west wicklow/Dublin.
    Beginners course pricing seems to fluctuate depending on the part of the country. What is the general price for a course and what should I expect from it?
    I have a long background with sporting firearms and am currently psyched to learn all I can about Archery from someone who isn't a bull**** artist (all sports have them).
    I was looking at a Petron Recurve take down bow. Are Petron a half decent build quality for a 1st bow?
    Thanks for any and all help with this.

I would imagine that the coaches who give the beginners courses in most if not all clubs shoot themselves. Our club coaches shoot for Ireland internationally, though we do have folks who are starting out as coaches and though they shoot, they would not have the experience of the main coaches. But there will be 1 if not 2 of the qualified coaches at each beginner course.

Our beginner courses usually cost €100 and run over 6 weeks at 1 hour per session. You will be give a tab, arm guard and quiver with 4 aluminium arrows to take away with you. Bows are provided by the club for the course.

You will go over the safety of shooting, never point a bow loaded or not at anybody. Never stand on the line and load a bow if the are folks down at the targets etc. You will be assessed for eye dominance and thought the basics of shooting. Bare bow at first, then adding a sight and shooting at a paper face. By the end of the 6 weeks you should be able to shoot from 18M, the indoor distance.

You will be thought Olympic recurve on the course and once the course is over you will be advised on what to buy if you wish to carry on shooting.

I would advise you to avoid buying anything until you have done the course and get advice on equipment that will suit you. While Petron bows are ok starter bows, you would outgrow it quickly and they are not very "upgradeable".

Just my 2 cents

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 9,041 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Hello dids, basically read the two posts by TommyKnocker above. Nearly all clubs will have coaches qualified to teach beginners and, to emphasise, do not buy anything until you've done the course. On the course you will find out 'why'.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    Hello dids, basically read the two posts by TommyKnocker above. Nearly all clubs will have coaches qualified to teach beginners and, to emphasise, do not buy anything until you've done the course. On the course you will find out 'why'.

Grand. Thanks for the info Tommyknocker and Grey's idea. Appreciate it. I've contacted Southeast Archers and Greenhills about their courses. Looking forward to it! Seems like quite an interesting discipline.

South East Archers are based in Arklow, FYI. Depends on which you find most convenient.

Adam Grant

greysides wrote: »
    South East Archers are based in Arklow, FYI. Depends on which you find most convenient.

Both are roughly the same distance for me. I work in Dublin though, so Greenhills would be easier to pop into after work.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Have you tried Liffey Archers they meet every Monday in the sports hall of the Kings Hospital School. Really friendly crowd and good coaching.

• Advertisement

Midnight64 wrote: »
    Have you tried Liffey Archers they meet every Monday in the sports hall of the Kings Hospital School. Really friendly crowd and good coaching.

Thanks, I signed up for a course with Greenhills Archers in November last night. Looking forward to it. Watching them shoot, it struck me as quite a therapeutic and addictive pursuit. Something about the consistency of movement and focus required was very appealing. 😊

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 174 ✭✭Midnight64

Yes. Very Zen!! Greenhills is a sister club to Liffey and my own club Ashbourne Archers so when you do decide to jump in and buy your own gear you will be able to shoot on Monday, Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday with the same guys.

Although, if you join AI you can shoot at any associated club so long as you abide by their rules.

Advertisement