Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Firewire issue

Options
  • 21-08-2014 1:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭

Anyone know why a PC would suddenly stop recognising a camcorder via firewire? It was working fine and then nada, nothing. Firewire port on PC is apparently working as is the cable, because they recognise a DVD recorder that I used to check them.

Cheers.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

Can you check the camcorder on another PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 323 ✭✭mistermouse

Fire wire connections like the smaller USB connections found on phones can be notoriously troublesome. I have found in both cases the sockets or leads can be a nightmare.

I have had the problem you describe before and found using a different (better fitting) lead solves the issue and even found that the lead works perfectly with another device.

The port sockets are very delicate/temparmental and need to be handled with care in any case

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭highdef

I broke the Firewire on my Canon XH-A1 years ago when I plugged it in while PC and camera were switched on. Fried the board :mad: Was going to cost about a grand to fix so instead bought a Black Magic capture card and now capture analogue HD component video instead. Not ideal but the best I can get from it without buying another HDV camera.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,157 ✭✭✭✭Grandeeod

Thanks for the replies. Its now obvious that I hotplugged the firewire and blew the firewire connections on the cheap cameras I was using for playback purposes. After much googling, it seems to be a common problem and even affects more expensive cameras. I've gone through two consumer cams this year alone by hotplugging. Time to invest in a pro mini dv deck and follow the instructions for firewire connection. Won't even attempt to try my pro mini dv cams.

No more hotplugging on anything. Be warned!

Advertisement