Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HTPC - What are you using?

• 21-08-2014 1:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

I have put so much effort into my HTPC that it almost seems like a hobby rather then a simple entertainment solution.

Hardware: Intel Nuc I3, USB I/R, Synology Nas, Airport Extreme with attached drive.

I use XBMC as the core application for watching hard drive and NAS stored media.
    Pros: Metadata, plays everything you throw at it, simple to control
    Cons: A little bit glitchy, a little bit unstable. If you are not techy minded it can be difficult to fix. It just about scrapes a pass on the wife acceptance test in our house. Just about. Also some of the plug ins are a temperamental to say the very least..

Operating systems:

Windows 7 - Pretty stable but if you want a visually impressive HTPC which is easier to navigate I'd give windows 8 a go. Annoyingly for me, while I found XBMC very stable on Windows 8 the operating system itself would drop off the wifi and close network connections mid movie. Incredibly annoying. Tried every fix under the sun without success and as a result I installed UBUNTU.
    So far so good(ish) - A few crashes with Spotimc but the OS is stable and retains network / wifi connections very well. Feels solid and had no issues with drivers so far. I'm willing to carry on with Ubuntu but I miss having things like Netflix, BBC Iplayer as tiles on the desktop (as in Windows 8)

I'm not overly keen on openelec or xbmcbuntu as I like having the flexibility of being able to install other apps to use as needed.

Whilst I love XBMC it is not in my view something that can be used by someone who is not tech minded. There is definitely a gap in the market. Plex is a little simpler to use but pretty cumbersome. I admit to struggling with Windows Media Player and the meta data add ons, perhaps I should have persevered but it all got very bloated very quickly.

Definitely a gap in the market for something a little bit more user friendly and less glitchy when it comes to Netflix, Spotify and RTE player etc

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

I have a HP Microserver. With Windows 7, XBMC13.2 and Serviio.

Use Media Centre Master as my primary media scrapper for video files, I'd prefer to be able to transfer between media centre clients that use'em instead of the media centre client keeping it in it's own cache. I use another thing for Music to sort out tagging, but can't think of the name of it, "Something Trigger," and Music Brainz Picard to fix anything it can't seek. The Trigger software is handy enough because you can also use it to create playlists for all your albums in batches. Everything else I've seen has always been on a per directory basis.

Using MariaDB for my XBMC Library, but currently looking into MediaBrowser3 as a library manager for XBMC because I find DBs to be slow for clients to connect to. When XBMC is set to share, it does so as a UPnP file system and not a library for other XBMC clients. There's word this will change in a future release of XMBC/Kodi, but no word as to what exactly is going to be provided or when.

I use Serviio as a DNLA/UPnP host for multiple devices at home such as Phones/Tablets/Games consoles. But if I get MedioBrowser3 setup how I want for XBMC, this can replace Serviio as it also acts as a DNLA/UPnP host.

Also, another handy thing about MediaBrowser3, while it does scrapping for itself, you also have the option for it to export local files for other media centres or clients to use.

Edit:
    Oh yeah, I've Trakt setup within XBMC , there's also a Trakt plugin for MediaBrowser3 which you can configure per user on the server side. They use this within MediaBrowser3 to share progess for the same user on a video, between different clients. However, I've never really seen the progress from my XBMC usage, replicated into MediaBrowser3.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,021 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

Whilst I love XBMC it is not in my view something that can be used by someone who is not tech minded.

We probably have different usage schemes, but I cannot see how using XBMC requires any tech knowledge at all.

To set it up properly can be a bit of a chore, depending on what you need, and would definitely benefit from some tech interest/knowledge.

I use a self built HTPC with two TV dual Tuner cards, running Openelec & XBMC.

Other devices can stream liveTV over the LAN from the TVHeadend backend on the HTPC, as well as play all stored content and internet streams.

The client devices also use Openelec/XBMC so there is a common interface and no problems of unfamiliarity.

The HTPC dual boots with PCLinuxOS which also has TVHeadend and XBMC if required, so I have a real OS for all the usual stuff I expect from a PC as opposed to just a media centre.

I guess the only thing I really miss in Openelec is a good browser.
    I use XBMCHub for plugins mostly.

BTW, Netflix is now available in browsers on Linux ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭Nelbert

I'm using a Zotac AD13 for my main htpc at the moment.

Tinkering (successfully) with a VMware Host with a couple graphics cards passthrough to a couple of Ubuntu VMs.

Long term idea is to have a HDMI matrix switch that means any tv can view either sky box or 1 of a number of XBMC VMs all hosted on the same physical pc.

It's working brilliantly at the moment outputting to two separate tvs and nearly ready for prime time once I get my HDMI switch and HDMI over CAT5e baluns.

I have all XBMC's instances pointed to my DS1813+ with a shared mysql database.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,735 ✭✭✭Stuxnet

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

We probably have different usage schemes, but I cannot see how using XBMC requires any tech knowledge at all.

To set it up properly can be a bit of a chore, depending on what you need, and would definitely benefit from some tech interest/knowledge.

I use a self built HTPC with two TV dual Tuner cards, running Openelec & XBMC.

Other devices can stream liveTV over the LAN from the TVHeadend backend on the HTPC, as well as play all stored content and internet streams.

The client devices also use Openelec/XBMC so there is a common interface and no problems of unfamiliarity.

The HTPC dual boots with PCLinuxOS which also has TVHeadend and XBMC if required, so I have a real OS for all the usual stuff I expect from a PC as opposed to just a media centre.

I guess the only thing I really miss in Openelec is a good browser.
    I use XBMCHub for plugins mostly.

BTW, Netflix is now available in browsers on Linux ;)

I'm not sure your average person is going to be able to connect it to a NAS etc without a hell of a lot of pain and suffering. Also, my real point was that if something goes wrong with XBMC or add ons etc it involves a serious amount of research on a forum in order to even try and attempt to sort out. It is very much for the enthusiast rather the the casual user. Just my opinion!

• Advertisement

I'm not sure your average person is going to be able to connect it to a NAS etc without a hell of a lot of pain and suffering. Also, my real point was that if something goes wrong with XBMC or add ons etc it involves a serious amount of research on a forum in order to even try and attempt to sort out. It is very much for the enthusiast rather the the casual user. Just my opinion!

I reckon your 'average person' would not even know what a NAS is, not mind saying how to connect to one!

I suppose the point I was trying to make is that set up and/or fixing a problem are completely separate to normal every day use.

Yes for set up or repair of a fault tech knowledge is an advantage.
    But I do not see that as being any different to other similar setups.

In use - by family members - it is simply pointing the remote and pressing the buttons to achieve the required action.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 22,360 CMod ✭✭✭✭Dravokivich

In use - by family members - it is simply pointing the remote and pressing the buttons to achieve the required action.

There's no argument about the usability. But if you're unfamiliar with it, or configuring software, XBMC/Kodi can be a bit of work. Everything has to be done "Their way." to make things work properly. Such as the naming of videos along with folder structure and the arrangement of tags in MP3. It may seem like a small thing, but to the uninitiated it's last thing for consideration. If they were to install XBMC, point it to their media and see things displayed incorrectly, they'll think XBMC is borked. I did the first time I tried it. Then got back to it a few months later and made a proper stab of setting it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 31 vitony

Johnboy1951 - what type tuners are you using and what is the responsiveness (channel change speed) like?

vitony wrote: »
    Johnboy1951 - what type tuners are you using and what is the responsiveness (channel change speed) like?

TBS 6280 & TBS 6981

Running Openelec with XBMC and XBMCHub

Using TVheadend backend.

Remote control that came with the tuner cards.

Other clients on the LAN also use similar set ups except without the TVHeadend backend as they have no tuners.

I use the second remote on a R-Pi with FLIRC.

Channel change is probably between 1 & 2 secs.
    Some change quicker than others .... maybe on the same transponder.
    In truth I don't really know as I it was never something that caused me to notice.

The R-Pi is slower of course, but I expect that and have no complaint. When watching there I usually have something particular to watch and am not 'channel surfing'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,341 ✭✭✭Fallschirmjager

Here is my setup. Recently changed the back end.

I have a haswell nuc running ubuntu 14.4 and xbmc. The specs for this are way over what I need as I was originally planning on going windows. When I saw the cost of windows, namely around 150 euro, I said no fracking way. Having said that, xbmc is like a bullet on it. I will be using this for other 'tools' also, like netflix for example. I have always tended to over spec my front end and then leave it for 3-4 years. The nuc is great and would recommend them. I had replaced an older home built windows xbmc. The best thing about the nuc is the size and low power if I remember correctly. It restores from suspend in about a second.

The back end used to be a very old sparc readynas. I had about 5tb of space but after running it for, quite honestly, several years 24/7, and only needing to replace 1 fan, I upgraded. I would have went readynas again but some of the reviews of the later models were not that great. The sparc ones were pretty amazing but obviously speed is an issue after several years. I replaced that with ubuntu 14.4 as the main server again running a haswell. This will also run the server back end for Plex and a few pieces. Again I have way overspecced this but I tend to adopt as per front end, overbuild and leave alone. The reason for plex is it's now on smart tv's as a client for free.

The other front end I have is a raspberry pi. Actually built that into the wall upstairs with an access panel. Only issue after about 9 months was a busted memory card and a busted plug. Both came with the eBay purchase and I think were the cheapest of cheap. I control that with a wireless keyboard, which doesn't work the best due to the fact it's in the wall, at least that my guess. What I do use is the cec remote on the tv, that works quite well.

We use the mobile phone xbmc remote, which is pretty amazing for something free. As a tweak we recently bought those massively overpriced Phillips hue lights. There is an add on for xbmc for controlling them that is pretty cool.

We have it attached to a 7.1 amp setup. I know it looks like I am some millionaire, but I am far from that...lol. I just tend to buy these pieces as modules. So I replace one part for a few hundred once per year. The amp for example will be there for several years, the speakers for a ðecade or so. For example I bought a speaker per month when upgrading them.

Issues
    We might replace the pi with plex on the smart tv.
    Getting plex on ubuntu linked to movies etc is proving an issue, but that's due to my ignorance and not the software, in fact I might post a thread here for help on that at some stage.
    YouTube has amazing stuff on ubuntu for info you need and the usual websites.
    Getting netflix on ubuntu was a pain in the ass. It works and works well and I can use a VPN to see netflix in the US for example. You can't as far as I am aware do that on he smart tv netflix client unless I was to do something at the router end I guess.
    I will use the link @stuxnet posted to see if I can use that. Thanks for that but the way.
    I will use the older readynas as the backup device for the main server. I was going to automate it but I might just do a manual delta data update once per month or so.

Recommendations
    Ubuntu is pretty amazing. It's come a long way to simplify applications installs. Looks after all upgrades and has a nice interface. Easy to get it to auto boot into xbmc if that's what you want. Overall I would recommend it.
    I wired the house for cat6 years ago and they all use wired connections. I have always found wifi to be total pants with htpc's, particularly with HD files. Also converting all of dvd movies was a freaking nightmare but had to be done.
    Fibre broadband should be available from end of the year, and when it is we are scrubbing sky completely. There is so many addons now for live web streaming even in HD and quite frankly sky is way over priced. So although it looks like a lot of cost above, and it is, spread over 4 years, the cost per day is very cheap. I did a spreadsheet once on it as a price comparison. Getting your head around what a HTPC is now, is the hardest for most people IMHO. It's not just a streamer for movies, it's becoming everything. The reality is getting a large monitor and cheap xbmc box is not expensive now. I think most people expect it to be thousands, but you can really get a great setup relatively cheaply now.

Future
    Might try one of those android boxes with xbmc. I am a bit touchy on sound. I am big on dts , hd audio etc and as far as I can see there is still the odd issue with the android boxes on that, although I read on boards.ie that seems to be solved now. I would really love to see a thread on what you don't get with various solutions rather than what you do,I might post a thread on that as I believe that would be a lot of help for people.

Sorry about the long post.

• Advertisement

Stuxnet wrote: »

Looks like netflix did something and the mod no longer works..literally in the last day or so, reading from the comments.

It is I guess only a matter of time before html5 and netflix is sorted.

Looks like netflix did something and the mod no longer works..literally in the last day or so, reading from the comments.

It is I guess only a matter of time before html5 and netflix is sorted.

It still works ..... just have to be watchful of version and user agent string. ;)

It still works ..... just have to be watchful of version and user agent string. ;)

Will give it a go then if I get a chance this weekend, thanks for the info, much appreciated.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,216 ✭✭✭Kur4mA

Isn't this already covered by the "Post your setup?" thread?

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭georgewickstaff

Very annoying glitch with Ubuntu 14.04

I can see a drive connected to my Aiport Extreme but I cannot access it. Can access via Mac and Windows machine no problem. Have googled and googled and tried everything but no luck.

No OS is perfect it would seem!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

I'm also using a custom build with Openelec as OS and twin tuners. Very pleased with everything aside from the tuners that are somewhat flakey for me, but that could well be my fault so not necessarily a fault with them. Would welcome input from anyone else using TBS tuners with the TVHeadend plugin for XBMC so I can troubleshoot a bit more, but in fairness I don't watch much "live" TV and usually catch up with stuff on iplayers and the like anyway.

Lpfsox wrote: »
    I'm also using a custom build with Openelec as OS and twin tuners. Very pleased with everything aside from the tuners that are somewhat flakey for me, but that could well be my fault so not necessarily a fault with them. Would welcome input from anyone else using TBS tuners with the TVHeadend plugin for XBMC so I can troubleshoot a bit more, but in fairness I don't watch much "live" TV and usually catch up with stuff on iplayers and the like anyway.

There are a couple of images available that have the TBS drivers built into Openelec .... CrazyCat or TBS in title.

I am hopeful that in a couple of releases hence we will have the Open Source drivers in the 3.17 kernel and will no longer need 'special' builds of Openelec.
    The latest Openelec releases are using the 3.16 kernel, which has the open source driver for the 6981 .... but not the driver for 6280 card.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 315 ✭✭Lpfsox

Hi Johnboy

I'm using a CrazyCat image alright (and have upgraded to the latest version) but it hasn't fixed the problem. I'm continually getting "connection lost" messages and have to restart the TVHeadend service on the server which isn't ideal. I've turned off live tv for now (nothing much on anyway!!) and will keep tinkering away with it in the meantime.

Cheers for your input though.

Lpfsox wrote: »
    Hi Johnboy

I'm using a CrazyCat image alright (and have upgraded to the latest version) but it hasn't fixed the problem. I'm continually getting "connection lost" messages and have to restart the TVHeadend service on the server which isn't ideal. I've turned off live tv for now (nothing much on anyway!!) and will keep tinkering away with it in the meantime.

Cheers for your input though.

Have you tried the TBS image?
    I found it much better than the CrazyCat image for reliability.

Of course it depends on hardware a lot of the time.

One problem I have had is the client side of the HTPC disappearing maybe over night when not in use.

I have taken to setting it to a DTT radio station when turning off the main TV.

So far all has been fine.

The backend was solid, even if the front end of the HTPC collapsed. To get it back required a reboot.

I don't use standby at all ...... tried it initially and had problems, and never revisited since.

I am now using a Dual Audio image on the client device in the bedroom (presently a NUC).
    This allows me to use headphones while watching TV without disturbing SWMBO, who can watch if she wishes and has independent volume using the TV's volume control.

Forgotten if I posted this previously
    http://forum.xbmc.org/showthread.php?tid=192480

Stuxnet wrote: »

You are exactly right, and it has gotten easier. The 20 sept update of ubuntu fixed the packages needed to get Netflix working. Apparently Netflix will soon support ubuntu and chrome once the rollout reaches a certain adoption level ( as yet unspecified, which makes me a tad suspicious).

So the beta release of chrome, the user string and bingo it works. I have it working, can't see the HD option yet but I think that's a setting on my side somewhere.

Much easier than the previous hack job.

• Advertisement
Advertisement