Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Noun before adjective or vice versa? English

• 21-08-2014 2:31pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭

I know there is a rule in English?
    I'm wondering should I put Review of Issues Identified or Review of Identified Issues?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 429 ✭✭Export

Or should I say 'Resolution of identified issues' or 'Resolution of issues identified'.
    I know there is an answer to this. I did not listen long in English lesson!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,655 ✭✭✭✭Tokyo

Adjective comes before the noun it describes. And 'opinion' adjectives come before 'fact' adjectives.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

Depends on what you want it to mean. . IMO.

So that would be Resolution of identified issues?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,119 ✭✭✭Mongarra

I am not a grammar expert but I would think that if you put the "Issues" first the expression would mean that the Review of Issues had been identified where "identified" becomes a verb whereas I presume you want it to mean that the issues need or will have a review so the second option would be the right one.

• Advertisement

I reviewed files and then identified and resolved issues.

Export wrote: »
    So that would be Resolution of identified issues?

Yes.

Thank you Mike.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 40 Fabreo

I'm wondering should I put Review of Issues Identified or Review of Identified Issues?

Review of identified issues is really short for review of issues which were identified. Identified in this case is a passive verb I believe.

mike_ie wrote: »
    Adjective comes before the noun it describes. And 'opinion' adjectives come before 'fact' adjectives.

ANOF

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JonEBGud

JonEBGud wrote: »
    Depends on what you want it to mean. . IMO.

I want the black board.

I want the board black.

I believe that the soggy chocolate biscuit.............?

ANOF

If you want to get technical, it's

Adjective (opinion > size > age > shape > color > origin > material > purpose) > Noun

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

I take two separate meanings here as follows:

1. Resolution of identified issues - suggests that some issues were identified, and these are to be resolved by somebody
    2. Resolution of issues identifed - suggests that there was a resolution of issues, and somebody has identified this

My guess is that your context is 1.

topper75 wrote: »
    I take two separate meanings here as follows:

1. Resolution of identified issues - suggests that some issues were identified, and these are to be resolved by somebody
    2. Resolution of issues identifed - suggests that there was a resolution of issues, and somebody has identified this

My guess is that your context is 1.

I resolved issues I identified and I also resolved issues identified by any other department.
    No issue went unidentified and no identified issue went unresolved.

• Site Banned Posts: 2,922 ✭✭✭Egginacup

I think they are both correct but that in the case of "Review of Issues Identified" this is really a truncation of "Review of Issues which were Identified"

I resolved issues I identified and I also resolved issues identified by any other department.
    No issue went unidentified and no identified issue went unresolved.

Then you are best to divide the phrase into two separate tasks, so write "Issues identified and resolved" or "Identification and resolution of issues".

Egginacup wrote: »
    I think they are both correct but that in the case of "Review of Issues Identified" this is really a truncation of "Review of Issues which were Identified"

But in the truncation the ambiguity arises, so they are not both correct. Otherwise, you are suggesting that a resolution was identified. It is highly unlikely that this is what the OP intended.

Review of Issues Identified - Passive.
    Review of Identified Issues - Adjective.

"A celebration of people known in the town". The action is done onto the people.
    "A celebration of known people in the town". Describes the people celebrated.

Both are fine unless you want to talk about "the review of issues" being identified which is unlikely in this case.

topper75 wrote: »
    But in the truncation the ambiguity arises, so they are not both correct. Otherwise, you are suggesting that a resolution was identified. It is highly unlikely that this is what the OP intended.

Issues were identified by moi and others. I reviewed said issues. I resolved them also.

• Advertisement

Review of Issues Identified - Passive.
    Review of Identified Issues - Adjective.

"A celebration of people known in the town". The action is done onto the people.
    "A celebration of known people in the town". Describes the people celebrated.

Both are fine.

In that example 'known' contains different meanings!

LATEST JOB:
    There were no issues.

PMSL

In that example 'known' contains different meanings!

True... "Known people" are possibly famous outside the town whereas "people known" means within the town.

Effort.

Advertisement